Not something you see every day

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,970
So yesterday here at case da LA Trey was a little exciting

Was using the kitchen sink and all the sudden water starts over flowing from the laundry drain.... Awesome

Did the normal stuff to no success...

Went to HD this morning, picked up a 50 ft auger.... Ran it down the pipe maybe 25 ft or so, hit a dead stop...

Have the auger 10 or so good twist... Start pulling out and all of this water comes with it....

Low and behold, someone at some point had put a towel in the main drain... Ten years of living here, never experienced much in the way of draining issue... But wow... Lucky there are no toilets on that line!

aywooe67bsxh.jpeg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Dang!!! I am surprised you didn't have issues earlier!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    That does not look like it has been in a drain pipe 10yrs. or honestly many years at all. From my experience they start to rot and come apart pretty good after a year or two. Again from my experience these get into drains by dumping a bucket cleaning water and forgetting you have a towel in the bottom and there she goes down the toilet.
    Nice job on the retrieval :):)
  • VR3
    Hard to say... But there are not many way it could have gotten in there from the house... It was placed in there while someone was doing work, without a doubt

There is a kitchen sink and washing machine that use that line, the toilet and bath tub are on a separate branch and worked perfect while the kitchen and laundry was clogged
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Oh yea sorry I forgot you had a big remodel. Yep that is perfectly plausible whoops lol
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Great that you found the culprit. In 2011 i purchased a building which i converted to a 2 unit & the same thing happened as your experience. 2 weeks after closing we had alot of rain & there was 10+ inches of water in basement. The boiler/furnace was on a pad thankfully it was ok. I called this company out of Lewiston Maine (Ables) to come & he used this machine with auger & low & behold the contractors had somehow got rags & more blocking the main line going out to the street. Lucky enough the contractor paid 1/2 the bill
    Randy/Maine
  • VR3
    That's crazy, I guess at the end of the day it's easy to forget when working as we are always In a rush hahahaha...

I dropped maybe 5 gallons into the line a hour or so ago and everything seems to be functioning normal
  • boston1450
    I think my issue i had was from 1 of the toilets. I think alot of funky stuff goes down that thang :)
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Sheeesh.
    Glad it was something "simple".
    I disabled signatures.
  • Yeah this happened to me. Renting a house currently which the kitchen connects to the laundry room. On the tiger side of the tile kitchen is our wood floored living room.

I'm minding my own business running the dish washer playing video games with the kiddo and I hear running water... Like a mini waterfall. Curious if someone left the sink on I get up to see water rushing towards the wood floors from the laundry room.

Shut off the dish washer, throw as many towels as I can to create a dam to stop the water hitting the wood. Landlord was over in 10 minutes with an auger and got it taken care of. Crisis averted.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    When we built our house there's a clean out half way out in the front yard. Two weeks after me move in there's crapola flowing into the basement. Of course it was a Saturday so they didn't come until Monday.

They rootered it and we got another two weeks and the same thing happened. Then they had to dig up our front yard to get to it. Seems that they didn't cap it and the freaking neighbor kid was throwing broken pieces of brick down it.

That sucked. Twice.
  • VR3
    That is a crappy situation right there
  • daboyz
    No fun cleaning sheet up and not being able to send it back out the normal way. :(
  • msg
    What happened to the neighbor kid? One of these, hopefully.

z1ez3tbsy71i.gif

feoivvoe8etk.gif

I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    That's one damned fine towel, I hope you kept it. It obviously has like a nuclear half life
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited February 2019
    Didn't apply to discussion... removed
    Post edited by mlistens03 on
  • daboyz
    Not a damn thing happened to that boy. We found out later from a neighbor who was moving.
  • boston1450
    edited February 2019
    msg wrote: »
    What happened to the neighbor kid? One of these, hopefully.

z1ez3tbsy71i.gif

feoivvoe8etk.gif

Poor Grandma. Between Mhardy & you LMAO where do you guys get this stuff. U need help :)
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    Those came from .gif searches for "boot to the head" :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    daboyz wrote: »
    Not a damn thing happened to that boy. We found out later from a neighbor who was moving.
    This forum needs a pssssh button.

It's not too late?
    Best served cold, an' all that.
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    It was not me, Trey.... :s
  • msg
    It was probably Tom.
    I disabled signatures.
  • daboyz
    Trust me, I was ready to do some awful things to that boy. :) It's been 13 years and he's long gone.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Wow Trey. Surprised you actually got it back through the line. And not sure how it didn’t cause MUCH more issues than it did. Must be man upstairs. Glad it worked out.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    lightman1 wrote: »
    It was not me, Trey.... :s

But don't you wear towels for undies?
  • VR3
    Lightman goes camo, birthday suit is the rule, not the exception. Think... Tarzan
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Yup. That made for some interesting days when Tom and I were helping the young lad with the remodel.....
  • VR3
    Yeah, you guys only worked on Tuesday, odd stuff
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    VR3 wrote: »
    Lightman goes camo, birthday suit is the rule, not the exception. Think... Tarzan

Russ I will have special non fabric seating for you when you visit.
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    We had or rather still have drain issues like this. Basement drain backs up, makes a big mess, call in drain guy. He calls me down to tell me don't put the baby wipes in the drain. I look at him like WTF and think probably the wife. Been a long time since baby wipes. 2 weeks later drain backs up again, call the drain guy back. Big gobs of baby wipes again. I tell him its not us and he calls the city and asks them for a sewer layout diagram. The guy he called emails it to him while we are talking. He shows me and says does either of your 2 next door neighbors have a baby? I look again at the picture and it turns our we have a party line. 3 houses into a 4 way with one outlet into the main sewer. I took down the city workers info and when I had time call him to see how to fix. He says no problem to run one line direct but you will have to get your other 2 neighbors to go along and pay for their houses to be hooked up direct too. I couldn't believe the city would do something like that (well it was 1929) much less refuse to straighten it out. In the meantime, hopefully nobody moves as I put together a flyer for both of them and told them a list of no-no's to put in the drain.
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub