Best center channel to pair with monitor 70 series is?

Options
Hi,

I know this comes up from time to time on here, but the "matched" center channels don't seem to be available anymore. Pretty much can't find the CS2 anywhere, and the CS20 is only out there new in cherry. So, what would be the next best option to pair with 70s? Or does anyone know a source for for either of the above-mentioned speakers in black?

Also, I accidentally cross posted this question in the classified section, so... oops.

Answers

• tophatjohnny
    Options
    Saw a reply from another member over in the for sale section stating, "matched" as far as center speakers go, sometimes not mattering much?? I know this is true because I just added a polk s35 center to mains as well as subs that aren't polk and the Polk35 does its thing really well. Try some that allow easy returns if needed and shouldn't be too tough to find one you like. Keep the community posted as to which way you go. Always cool seeing what others are doing here.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk. None of my speakers match, I simply added more speakers to my system as I needed to. The Signature series is great, I would look at getting the S30 or S35 and I think you will be very happy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @jesseroscoe I found myself in the exact same situation. I had a CS20 and it's smaller sibling what ever it was called and the CS20 was absoultely insufferable, the smaller whatnot was way better. I ended up getting and CSiA6 and that was a marvelous fit, for me anyway. I would highly recomend that you go the same route, if not I can tell you where to get some black paint.
  • jesseroscoe
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like the CS2 would have been ideal. Too bad I wasn't in the market a decade or so ago. My brother has the CS10 paired with his monitor 75Ts and seems to like it okay, but from what I've been reading, that center is better suited to the smaller monitors.
  • pyrocyborg
    pyrocyborg Posts: 524
    edited February 2019
    Options
    This is matter to debate I guess, but some people (like me) will try to match both the speaker line and the drivers size (e.g. if your front speakers have 6.5 in woofers, I try to get the center speaker with 6.5 in woofers in it). However, in all honesty, I'm not even sure it matters that much... and maybe having the biggest possible center in a given line is your best bet, even if your left and right speakers have smaller drivers in comparison.

Anyway, with a room correction software, timbre matching, while still important, is less of an issue now.

I know Ken recommended the S30, S35, CSiA4, CSiA6 and TL2 as all good center channel choices for the Monitor 70 as they all have the same silk dome tweeters (or a very similar one).
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 705, LSiM 703, LSiM 704c
    Receiver: Denon X3500H
  • afterburnt
    Options
    It appears that the CS2 and CS20 are the same outsided of cosmetics, correct me if I am wrong. Let me know when you want the black paint.
  • jesseroscoe
    Options
    Tried to get my hands on a used CS20 earlier, but the guy sold it a couple days ago. And the eBay cherry one I had seen appears to only offer local pickup 2000 miles away. So I don't need the spray paint just yet :)

Besides timbre matching, I was also trying to match woofer size as pyrocyborg mentioned, but it doesn't look like that's even possible with a center from the signature line.

I'm using my system mostly for music, but I was just trying to get a matching center since I needed to upgrade from my current center anyways.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @jesseroscoe I would sell you mine but I am actually a nice guy in real life. I am pretty sure I still got it around here somewhere because I don't have a fireplace.
  • jesseroscoe
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @jesseroscoe I would sell you mine but I am actually a nice guy in real life. I am pretty sure I still got it around here somewhere because I don't have a fireplace.

I have found the occasional person who didn't like the CS centers, but most of the reviews were pretty positive, especially with people upgrading from CS1 to CS2. I may look into the S30, S35 or CSiA6 now. I probably won't have the 70s for another month, so I've got a little bit of time left. Thanks again.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I run a CSI-A6 with Signatures, Audyssey blended it well to match. Look at CL for a deal. I picked mine up for $70.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2019
    Options
    pyrocyborg wrote: »
    This is matter to debate I guess, but some people (like me) will try to match both the speaker line and the drivers size (e.g. if your front speakers have 6.5 in woofers, I try to get the center speaker with 6.5 in woofers in it).

The center is for vocals. A woofer is irrelevant.
    Post edited by BlueFox on
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.