Has anybody listened to Steven Wilson's Yes vinyl?

On the fence about picking up this multi record set. I have most of it on original releases from back in the day but I have read that his remix work brings out even more?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• Not heard the Yes mixes, but hisTull remixes are excellent.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Have a few of them on Blu-Ray audio and DVD-Audio. Personally, overall I prefer the original mixes. I will say that about ANY remix though, so take that as it is.....

They are interesting for sure, but would personally stick with the original mixes. In my opinion, of course. If you want a little (temporary) excitement of hearing some YES albums in a different way, go for it. But, I always go back to the original (the way it was mixed in the year the album was recorded, as that was the way the band and producer/engineer intended).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    I get what you are saying about new mixes, but from what I have read Wilson's work here may be worth the $$. Not only a remix but apparently better sound.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Not to go all Andy Rooney again (me?! Perish the thought!) but I am generally somewhere between irritated and aghast by the whole remix thing anyway. Even when it's, e.g., a guy surnamed Martin doin' it to Beatles' recordings! :/

I've not heard any of the vaunted Steven Wilson remixes of anything -- haven't particularly wanted to, though.

I mean, is he going to improve on And You and I's mix? Or even Starship Trooper, for that matter? I think four-plus decades of hearing the original mixes has kind of soured me on any changes to 'em.

:p
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    As far as the SACD's I've heard, I think Steve Wilson did a good job on some, others I was sort of meh. I haven't heard the remixed vinyl and don't plan to get it. I'm like the original Yes vinyl.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have a gang of his remixes on blew ray and dvd-a disc, Yes, Tull, Crimson etc. I enjoy them very much, well not very much. They don't get played very much. Let's say I enjoy them a lot a little. For the most part I have all of the original mixes on both CD and vinyl and I like the Wilson mixes better maybe because they have breathed new life into stuff I have been listening to for over forty years. I can't speak for the vinyl but I would bet they would be worth a try. I don't think you will end up saying "these mixes bite scrote!"
  • mhardy6647
    Not to go all Andy Rooney on this topic, but who was it that appointed (anointed) this guy the great (re) mixer of the ages? I guess, more to the point, why?

Just academically curious, you know?

This is what happens when you remix a Peterbilt conventional, BTW (and FWIW).

i20pt9lmx1gg.png

• afterburnt
    @mhardy6647 I guess the artist that wanted him to
  • mhardy6647
    I wonder if that is indeed the case?
    For some reason, I have this impression that he's, like, this rogue remasterer.
    I could be wrong, however.

Has he remastered any dead guys? As opposed to bands where some of the guys are dead?
  • afterburnt
    All of the Yes and ELP guys were alive when I got their remixes not now though
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I received the Jethro Tull Aqualung on vinyl for Christmas [need to post in that thread, I suppose], and IMO it's quite good. I needed a better pressing of Aqualung, so this was more of a replacement than a supplement. I guess for a completist, this might be considered a 'must have', but if someone already has a good, clean, original pressing, I'm not sure it's worth it. Granted, I did notice a few subtle differences, which IMO are improvements, so it might just boil down to how much of a fan you are as to whether you want/need it. The packaging is impressive, with naturally lots more supplemental information about the album in the included booklet. In fact, the gatefold presentation resembles a coffee table book more than an album cover.

Regarding the 'rogue remasterer' notion @mhardy6647 , I don't think it is the case. His choices are quite limited to only a few artists - namely King Crimson, Jethro Tull, and Yes (with a smattering of others). I suppose those must be some of his personal favorites, or influencers of his own music. Here's a full list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Wilson_discography#Album_remixes

Anyway, as a gift, I'm certainly not going to look this gift-horse in the mouth. It sounds really good! And...it has me curious about his other remasters.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2020
    When I first heard the Wilson Aqualung vinyl remix my first impression was the bass. There is bass!

I think it superior to any other recordings I have. And I have aquired several over the years, albums, CDs, cassette and even 8 track...lol.

Aqualung is one of all-time favorites.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2020
    Isn't this the Wilson from "Porcupine Tree" fame?

I'm pretty sure it is. Damn, he's been busy.

I like "Deadwing" a lot. ;)
    "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here";
    https://youtu.be/WxIRFf-u_Bs

And their song "Halo"; B)
    https://youtu.be/_xN2RS7e6dE
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Yep, same dude.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2020
    It sure looks like he gets into music deeply. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.