The old Pioneer CL-99A's I just got.

Options

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Thank you again Doc. for this other link and picture. I'm full of butterflies in my gut since I last talked to him because I'm hoping the receiver works great like he says.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Yep, that is the one I have except mine is a
    QX-949 A designation. Not nearly a pretty. I read that ad and loved it. Thank you very much for posting that.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    5avj7oubf791.jpg
    3pzsp6cn7g1s.jpg
    Sitting around for whenever I get around to it...
  • VSAT88
    Options
    25yjr1j3mwt1.jpg
    4g4tpvuo51wl.jpg
    Another very cool quad that sounds great. I think 15 watts per. Waiting as the above for whenever I get time to fool with it.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    The big Technics quads are seldom seen (IME, at any rate). Sansui seemed to have the best -- umm, quad penetration, with JVC and Pioneer (and LRE and Radio Shack of course) also in the running.

Strictly anecdotal, of course.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    ^^ Didn't know about that site, thanks Doc.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    ^^ Didn't know about that site, thanks Doc.

which; http://www.kallhovde.com/Njord Noatun's Vintage Audio Resources.html ?

Yes, it's handy...although most of the content can (probably) also be found at https://www.hifiengine.com/

Speaking of really beguiling places to waste lots of time -- you are also aware of https://www.americanradiohistory.com/ yes?

:)

If nothing else, you might enjoy the searchable archives of nearly every issue of
    Stereo Review, High Fidelity and Audio magazines!

B)

• oldrocker
    Options
    Yes Sir, got that one saved to my favorite list.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes Sir, got that one saved to my favorite list.

OK, just checking :)
  • Tony M
    Options
    It's here. :) And it's BIG. Bigger than I thought it was going to be.
    It's a little dusty still. He swore it worked but I have yet to hear it. I had to meet him away from his house.

urwc9pire7xa.png
    yvhxvyfsh9qz.png
    jr42hfcns4kk.png

• VSAT88
    Options
    Bet ya it works great ! And yes, they are big !! Congratulations !
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Congrats. I helped a friend sell off his SX-1010. Thing was a monster about 50lbs., I believe.
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Still haven't tested it.

He suggested at the meet earlier that we both grab a side and move from his trunk to my trunk. I obliged him. Well I just moved it into my cottage and good God *^*&%%$%^ it's a back breaker and hernia maker!

I didn't read the lb. weight in Doc's. picture thorough enough last night. I thought 35 to 40 lbs.

It's a big block that weighs a solid 51 lbs. :o

Walking toward my cottage with it in my hands I thought my left hand was loosing strength fast so I walked a little faster. I was straining to hold it for sure.

I put it down on it's side and was going to measure it but I couldn't find a tape measurer and thought the specs. will be in one of those cool ads. Well I looked down at the bottom of it and it's spotless.

He said he was the only owner of it and he bought it overseas long ago. He was a cool 73 year old that's in awesome shape and looks like he could be 50 at the most and he's also a happy soul. I enjoyed my brief talk with him. He pulled up in a brand new bright red Mustang that looked powerful. It kind-of was ...364 HP I think he said but it's a 4 cylinder. 31 mpg he gets.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Can't wait to hear how she sounds.

Have fun... B)
  • Tony M
    Options
    It will be tomorrow afternoon probably. Maybe later in the day tomorrow.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    Options
    :)

I am glad that, after all that peer pressure encouragement that you received from Club Polk's denizens, that you were able to scroe score it, @Tony M !
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Doc, when you typed "TOTL...sweet"... the plan was set in action! :D I wanted the receiver if nothing else. He reduced the price a little more for me on his 99A's but I just had to tell myself..."I just got a pair for free darn-it and then spent 40.00. So I had that cool find from 2 weeks ago bouncing around in my head the whole trip there! :s

Even in this late morn. meeting, the previous owner said he thought it was the top of the line receiver when he bought it. I told him a friend told me it was totl last night. I also told him an opinion said it might sound better than the SX series. He said maybe, he then said I should be very, very happy with how it sounds and functions. He also said this morning that all the lights still work too.

I think he and his wife are downsizing in a big way.

Oh yea, this man told his wife he was going to take those speakers and receiver to the
    DUMP. :o:s

His wife told him he was NOT throwing these beautiful things away and that SOMEBODY might want to buy them. So he did some research and he said his jaw dropped when he saw what those Pioneer CS-99A's were selling for.

It was so cool to hear that a wife wanted to SELL stereo gear instead of the "just get rid of it" thoughts I've personally heard a few times.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Sometimes the people I have met buying stereo gear have been as facinating as the gear itself. Great haul .
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    The deals aren't as plentiful as they used to be but they are still out there. This morning my bud and I picked up a console from the free section of craigs and it had these 2 pieces in it. Not to mention a couple of 10'' chrome framed red Stromberg drivers.

bsue5womhgdp.jpg
  • VSAT88
    Options
  • oldrocker
    Options
    The deals aren't as plentiful as they used to be but they are still out there. This morning my bud and I picked up a console from the free section of craigs and it had these 2 pieces in it. Not to mention a couple of 10'' chrome framed red Stromberg drivers.

bsue5womhgdp.jpg

Nice find.

Always will have a soft spot for the vintage gear.

I still see quite a bit of stuff as I'm in people's houses for work and most of them are willing to let the stuff go.

The bad part is my lack of repair skills plus the fact the only repair guy I know is always swamped.

• mhardy6647
    Options

bsue5womhgdp.jpg

Nice find.

Always will have a soft spot for the vintage gear.

I still see quite a bit of stuff as I'm in people's houses for work and most of them are willing to let the stuff go.

The bad part is my lack of repair skills plus the fact the only repair guy I know is always swamped.
    This is a solvable "problem", you know :)
    It is fun and rewarding unless you electrocute yourself :|

In seriousness, the vacuum tube stuff is generally pretty simple to troubleshoot and to repair, and virtually all parts are readily (and, in many cases, inexpensively) available.

Modern soiled solid state audio equipment is, like, the polar opposite :blush:
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I have a QX949 tucked away. Got it long ago from a guy that had it hooked up to a quadrophonic reel and was running 4 advent or AR's, don't remember exact speakers. But I will never forget hearing Pink Floyd's Money in Quad on it. Hope to set it up that way some day myself.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I have a QX949 tucked away. Got it long ago from a guy that had it hooked up to a quadrophonic reel and was running 4 advent or AR's, don't remember exact speakers. But I will never forget hearing Pink Floyd's Money in Quad on it. Hope to set it up that way some day myself.

Not the easiest thing to tuck away. ;)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    True, some things are easier to tuck than others. Just depends on the tucker.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    True, some things are easier to tuck than others. Just depends on the tucker.

...and I am plum* tuckered out.

:#

Options
    All depends on what part of the US I suppose. Round these parts it's plum...
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Knowing everyone wants to respond to this thread with another word that rhymes with....tucker.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    Options
    trucker fairly leaps to mind.

aqabbfoeu0m0.png
  • Tony M
    Options
    I have it working about 85% now. The volume dial needed deoxidizing to get the severe static cleared out. The quad meter was pulsating on the right and then on the left channel more than the others. After I deoxidized the volume, the meter barely pulsates at all now. There are push buttons I couldn't get to today. In fact I didn't get to do any of them. Some are still really oxidized and need cleaning badly. But it plays fantastically. All functions work pretty well though. I'm HAPPY. I also cleaned all the knobs and dials and glass and front plate. It looks new! :pB) The tuner pulls in stations beautifully. Look at the size compared to a regular receiver under it. :D

I found out today hooking the 2 speakers up that this receiver can have 8 speakers hooked up to it. :o I'm going to go look at the manual from on the web JUST how this 8 speaker ability works. The rear is dusty and needs cleaning too. Maybe tomorrow.
    g1o3te9sw980.png
    edhj1lrvv6mx.png
    en532ccwbplb.png
    k2rnrd6hft3w.png
    14dc0l3uvunc.png