WTB: Eastern Electric MiniMax pre amp

Options
pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,168
edited February 2019 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I am looking for an Eastern Electric MiniMax pre amp. I have heard that this tubed pre amp would be a great match for my (arriving soon) McCormack DNA .5 Deluxe Rev B power amp. I had a lead on one (thanks to a tip from a few PF members) that was recently listed on Audio Circle but that one unfortunately sold this afternoon. Please pm me if anyone has one for sale. I figure if I am going to dive into the rabbit hole I may as well dive deep down. Thanks.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    While I personally think there are better pairings to go with your new amp, @MrBuhl might be persuaded to part with his for the right price.
  • pglbook
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    While I personally think there are better pairings to go with your new amp, @MrBuhl might be persuaded to part with his for the right price.

Thanks, clipdat. I'll have to reach out to Mr. Buhl to see if he may want to part with his Eastern Electric MiniMax pre.

I am also curious what you think would be "better pairings' to go with the DNA .5 Deluxe power amp. Please pm me your thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited February 2019
    Options
    A Minimax just popped up on Audiogon, $600 or best offer.
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9c850-eastern-electric-minimax-pre-tube

I paid $775 for my modded one almost 5 yrs ago.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • pglbook
    edited February 2019
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    A Minimax just popped up on Audiogon, $600 or best offer.
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9c850-eastern-electric-minimax-pre-tube

I paid $775 for my modded one almost 5 yrs ago.

Thanks, dragon. This is just crazy...I bought one last night for $700 from a fellow PF member and he shipped it this afternoon so it is on its way...and today this one appears for sale on Audiogon for $600...and the craziest part of all is...the Seller is in the same city where I live, Cohoes, NY. That is just nuts. These EE MiniMax pres rarely appear for sale so what are the odds of that happening? Totally crazy. But I am still very glad to be getting the one from the PF member...I know he took great care of it ...he included 3 extra tubes...and he has already been a great resource in answering my many questions since I am tube newbie. Thanks again for pointing out the link...I would have jumped on it in a minute..and could have picked it up locally tonight...had I not already bought one yesterday from a fellow Polkie.

• dragon1952
    Options
    Ha ha....wow, now that is just totally crazy for sure...especially considering the guy's local :^ /
    So, offer the guy $550 cash and then sell one for $700. Like you said, they rarely come up for sale. You can recoup some cash and keep the extra tubes. Then send whichever one you keep to Tom Tutay for the mods and you have a keeper pre for many, many years :^ )
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • pglbook
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I know. I have been thinking of making an offer for the local MiniMax..but then I come to my sense and tell myself that I just spent a lot of money on new equipment in the past 2 weeks (McCormack DNA .5 Deluxe Rev B amp and an EE MiniMax pre) and really can't justify spending any more at present for a 2nd MiniMax. I am curious: what were the Tom Tutay mods that you had done to your MiniMaz?
    Post edited by pglbook on
  • dragon1952
    Options
    Here's a list kop9zpf50vgh.jpg

One of the main issues with the stock Minimax is that the gain is rather high so, depending on the amp you're pairing it with, you might not be able to turn the preamp volume up enough to really bring the tube factor into play. So one of the things he does is reduce the gain. Also, beefs up the power supply and makes some mods enabling more choices in the center tube position (buffer).

• pglbook
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Dragon: Tom's mods sound great...if you do not mind me asking, how much would such mods cost? Btw, can you recommend any tubes you've enjoyed with the MiniMax? I have to start learning about different tubes. I will just use the various tubes that the Polk seller sends with the pre for a while..but I would like to experiment and try other tubes down the road...so please let me know of any tubes that you really liked in the MiniMax.
  • dragon1952
    Options
    I think the mods are (were) only around $300 but that figure might not be current. And yes, I can make some recommendations. I'll PM you later.