Anyone still use HD-DVDs?

Anyone still use HD-DVDs? 31 votes

Yes
29%
mantisbillbillwPSOVLSKgfongOsarionkharp1boston1450dolbydaudioluvr 9 votes
No
70%
EmlynVR3polrbehrsteveinazcfrizzWillowhonestaquarianmrbigbluelighttreitz3rooftop59dalylaleahthornooshinjohnEndersShadowmrbironDaveHotxcoastal1jeremymarcinkochumlieGospelTruthcodycatalist 22 votes

Comments

• OsarionOsarion Posts: 158
    Yes
    I still have the add on player for the 360 and hook it up every now and then.
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,682
    No
    And I never did!
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • DabutcherDabutcher Posts: 2,049
    Still have a Toshiba player and about 6 movies. Just collecting dust. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Mitsubishi rear projection 73, PS4, PSW505 , Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, RTi12, FXiA6, CSiA6, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05

“Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,375
    No
    I had a couple hundred, many of which were good movies and many of which were just put in the format so Warner could say they had something. I gradually replaced all of the good ones with Blu Ray and donated the junk ones. Once I got rid of the discs, the disc players went to the Salvation Army. Fortunately, many of the discs I picked up for a couple dollars a piece when the format was being abandoned.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • No
    Nope. Still have a player in a box somewhere though.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,242
    No
    Got burned with that war and got rid of them after buying a ton. Format wars. Ugh.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - PS Audio SGC - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,364
    Yes
    I still have my player and a handful of discs. It's not hooked up right now but I can pull it out whenever I feel the need.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 5,080
    No
    Got rid of mine when you could trade them for Blu's through the Red2Blu program.
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, Senn's MD HD600
  • polrbehrpolrbehr Posts: 2,342
    No
    I voted no, but that doesn't tell the fact that I never owned the format in the first place, so maybe it shouldn't count? LOL
    It took me a couple of years to get a Bluray player even after it "won" the format war...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • boston1450boston1450 Posts: 6,258
    edited February 11
    Yes
    I gotta fess up i made a mistake. I hit the Yes button before reading comments. It thought the thread was for dvd's. I have no idea what Hd dvd's are & not interested. I have dvd's & bluray disc only. Sorry my bad
    Randy in Maine
    SDA-CRS+ 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Stands w/Polk Logo & Spiked nicely
    RTA15TL 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Gloss tops shine. Spiked nicely
    Cs1000p-Yamaha-Parasound-Acurus
    MIT speaker cables-Pangea powercords
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,682
    No
    polrbehr wrote: »
    I voted no, but that doesn't tell the fact that I never owned the format in the first place, so maybe it shouldn't count? LOL
    It took me a couple of years to get a Bluray player even after it "won" the format war...

Yea that's me as well. I tend to not be an "early adopter," although as of late that has changed a bit. I was kinda early to 4K and MQA, but that was because in both cases I found a fairly cost effective and easy way in...I would not have spent a lot of money or gone out of my way to try either of those formats either...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,368
    No
    Had a player & a handful of movies at one time. I recall if you bought the player from Walmart, which I had, they were taking them back for a full refund when it became clear HD-DVD had lost. I took advantage of that & sold the movies quick!
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 2,456
    edited February 11
    No
    I never had them. I looked at the capacity and capability of HD-DVD versus that of Blu-Ray and bet on the latter since it had more of both.
    Man when Warner (who was backing both formats at the time) decided to decamp from HD-DVD and only support Blu-Ray, I have never seen a format collapse so fast! :# :o
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,397
    No
    Nope, never had one, I refuse to get drawn into format wars. I just wait it out then get the winner. Or better yet wait until a universal player comes out!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,069
    Yes
    Seldom gets used, but I still have an HD-DVD player in my system. Probably have about 25 movies/concert discs...many of which came in a used bundle for very cheap (someone who was cutting their losses). I still prefer HD DVD to Blu-ray, but that ship has obviously sailed.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • No
    No. The add on player along with 10 hd dvd went into the trash during the move.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • John MegadethJohn Megadeth Posts: 2,157
    edited February 14
    Thanks, all. I had the option of getting a large lot of 60 HD-DVDs, so I wanted to see if anyone here would have been interested in buying some, but I'll likely pass on it.

I enjoyed the format for the time I had it!
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,375
    No
    Blu-Ray equivalents are cheap enough these days, there's really no reason to reinvest in HD-DVD copies. And the Blu-Ray is likely to have better audio than some of the first HD-DVD discs they rushed into print.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,987
    No
    That was a format war that I waited out.
  • billbillwbillbillw Posts: 5,819
    edited February 14
    Yes
    Yes and No.

I still have about 25 discs, but I've ripped them all to my server and use Kodi to playback. Grabbing one of the X-box 360 HD-DVD drives on clearance from Frys ($20?) 10 years ago was the best foresight ever. It sat in a box for at least 5 years before I really used it. I sold my last BH200 (universal Blu/Red/DVD player) back around 2014.

As I recall, I had more Red discs at one point, but did the Warner trade back around 2009 to get the Blu copies of those. I think I sold the Red versions on craigslist.
    Main 2-ch:
    Sony SS-M9; LSA Statement Amplifier; VPI HW-19 Mk3/Sumiko Premier FT-4/Audio Technica AT15SA; Pass Labs DIY Pearl Phono; Sony SCD-C333ES SACD Changer; TEAC UD-301 DAC; Dell/WYSE 5010 (running Daphile); Sony ST-SA5ES Tuner; Nanotec Golden Strada speaker cables (SR+#79 Shotgun); Audioquest Coral interconnects