Ughhh... MOLD! : (

So going back a few weeks, I noticed the shower in our hall bathroom wasn't working
right, very low pressure. Couple of days later I noticed water pouring out from the tile
where the shower stem comes out. Uh oh. So I went to replace the small piece of pipe, and while leaning against the tile, my elbow (and almost the rest of me) crashed through the tiles. I was greeted by a soaking wet wall cavity and the fragrant bouquet of mold. DAMN! This had obviously been going on for awhile, it got to the point that not only was the water spraying inside the wall between the hall bath and the master bath, but also leaking like crazy underneath, soaking my work bench and a bunch of other stuff in the laundry room in
the basement. Most of this took place on Dec 30, 2018.

So long story short, both of our bathrooms have been gutted, the laundry room is totally
cleaned out, as is half of the finished part of my man cave (f.k.a. the garage). Oh yeah, the mold was also discovered in the carpet under my pool table in the other half of the garage.
We've had a 20 yard dumpster and a PODS unit in our driveway since then too. More to follow...
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    terrible news!

Are you wing'n this on your own or with a qualified mold remediator? Don't rely on (maybe) an inexperienced insurance guy . . .

Due diligence in this matter is of utmost importance

just my .02

Best of Luck!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    @GlennDog, you are spot on, and yes, the remediation is complete; it took about 3 weeks to get to where we are now. I had no idea that A. It was so pervasively spread, and B. they had to keep removing infected areas until they found no contamination - then remove 2 feet past THAT! Unreal. But we got our final mold results last week, clean bill of health so now we are waiting for everything to be replaced.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Sorry to hear there was extensive damage.

Glad you've got a clean result to start putting it back together. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I'm glad you got that behind you! and so the rebuilding begins . . .

Maybe you can include something custom while rebuilding??
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Aspergillus or Stachybotris are the species to be extra careful for total removal, as well as removing any water/moisture source. Glad you got it all out.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    When my basement flooded a few years back I totally gutted it myself then had a company come and put drain tile in and a 3 pump system. WHen I tore the wainscoting off the wall I had mold in some spots, I washed the walls with bleach.

I was told by the restoration company that bleach will work to some extent but they had a chemical that will kill mold on contact and eliminate it from spreading, whatever it was that mold was gone I waited a month afterwords before putting the drywall back up the mold never returned. Make sure you eliminate all the mold so it wont return. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • polrbehr
    xschop wrote: »
    Aspergillus or Stachybotris are the species to be extra careful for total removal, as well as removing any water/moisture source. Glad you got it all out.

I ended up having a good rapport with the guy doing the mold testing, and those were the 2 types he cautioned about as well, though it turned out we had neither present. The guys doing the remediation were here almost every day for over 3 weeks. If an item could not be cleaned, it was tossed (and we were given credit for it for insurance). They wiped down everything, literally, and after spraying their concoction of mold killer, they encapsulated all the exposed wood surfaces that showed signs of mold. During all this they also ran 2 commercial dehumidifiers and 4 HEPA air filters 24/7 - my house never smelled so clean, too bad we still have no main floor bathrooms.
    @gudnoyez I think they got it all. I was informed they never failed an air quality re-test, and I can see why; they are as thorough as you can get.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Wow.
    We just went through this with the master bath as we knew when we purchased the house the shower had been leaking. We had not used the shower in our master since we moved in. Used the kids bath for four years!!
    So glad we caught it all and removed, treated and replaced all affected
    Hope all goes well.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Been there, done that and feel your pain. Are you going to file a homeowners insurance claim?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • polrbehr
    Absolutely, we got claim #01 for 2019 since I called on 1/1. We already got the check from them a few weeks ago, got the mold test done and now just waiting until this Tuesday when they start putting it all back together.
    We've been selecting the usual components for bathrooms, can't wait to get this done already,

• joecoulson
    Rooting for completion
  • polrbehr
    edited February 2019
    Where it all began...
    i5i97rxbmfy5.jpg
    ez6aklrfybxj.jpg
    1wne83xivu82.jpg
    zifph7c4w2sm.jpg

Anyone know how to make the images a little smaller? I hate pictures that make you scroll all day to get to the bottom of the post.

• joecoulson
    Wow! That’s almost as bad as mine when we ripped it apart. It’s such a good feeling to get all that crap out of the house.