Oh. "Mysterious BMW fires"

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
edited February 2019 in The Clubhouse
I didn't know BMWs were self-immolating.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/mysterious-bmw-fires-continue-calls-investigation-grow-102004136--abc-news-topstories.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_10

So far, it sounds like this is going about as well as Audi's cars-self-accelerating imbroglio went back in the 1980s.

from the link above:
BMW insists that car fires can result from a variety of external reasons "unrelated to product defects." In 2017, a company spokesperson suggested several other potential causes of car fires, including a lack of maintenance, improper maintenance by unauthorized mechanics, aftermarket modifications, rodent nesting and even arson.

Wonder if the Bimmer spokesperson is an ex-Audi guy?

:/

5psklj8z68sw.png

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Interesting. Probably electrical related, IMO. With cars today so heavily electrical/computer controlled, certainly plausible.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • This is not being handled well at all. In Audi’s defense the self acceleration turned out not to be Audi’s fault. Problem was that it took years to prove that and in the interim the press had played judge, jury and executioner nearly running Audi out of business.
  • mhardy6647
    Audi was pretty typically Teutonic in their response, which didn't play well in the US.
    BMW seems to be following in their footsteps.

Mind you, I am not at all anti-Teutonic (having minored in German in college), but I am still amused and enjoying a little Schadenfreude I must admit :|
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    edited February 2019
    Or this oldie but goodie media hatchet job...

Gm trucks exploding from side impacts - as long as incendiary devices are placed under the truck...

https://youtu.be/KtpMzGN9uWc
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Or this oldie but goodie media hatchet job...

Gm trucks exploding from side impacts - as long as incendiary devices are placed under the truck...

https://youtu.be/KtpMzGN9uWc

Yeah. NBC had to publicly apologize.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    edited February 2019
    Nah, there's no fake news from the main stream media. 🤔
    Post edited by F1nut on
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,598
    Probably a cross-company shared part such as Ford's leaky Master cylinders that set many home ablaze. BMW's at one point were installing GM transmissions in some of their sedans.
    Porsches have Mercedes and Audi transmissions, rebadges Audi brakes etc. depending on Model.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    GM transmissions were used by Rolls Royce and Bentley right up until the Silver Seraphs were launched. They switched to ZF gearboxes at that point.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    A few years ago, a guy I work with went by "briefly" to work on a Saturday morning to take care of something. He's very thoughtful that way and very caring about leaving no one hanging. He said his car missed a bit the last few blocks coming in, but he didn't give it too much thought. He goes in and just several minutes later, another guy had stepped outside to grab a smoke and came haulin' back in to report his car was smoking...a lot. The two go running back out to see the front light up with fire. Now, being the thoughtful guy he is, he worried immediately he'd pulled right up to the building! So they did the only logical thing and opened the doors and using the frame pushed it back across the drive so it was 25ft or so away.

So meantime, it really goes up. Shortly they have fire trucks and all there. Car is burnt toast.

Yes, it was a several year old BMW.

A couple of the guys then on Monday made a memorial right in front of where it rested it's last day.

barzhemvingk.jpg

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • xschop
    Usually a heat-cracked flexible fuel line near the exhaust manifold.....
    Maintenance is not on some folks agenda.
  • My step-dad was working on fixing up a early 00s Ford Taurus (just replacing axel), disconnected the battery early in the day and left it in the garage while he went to sleep. Yeah I come driving home at 6am after staying up the night before out with the friends to find half the house burnt down. Something in that car went up and I can't tell you what it was. What I can tell you is that the fire didn't affect the 3 gallon jugs of tiki torch fluid that was 5 feet away. Good graces much?!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • nooshinjohn
    My dad traded in a Ford LTD wagon in 1983 or '84... The porter got in it to move the car to clean it up for resale a day or two later, and it caught fire and burned. Had it happen to a brand new Hellcat Challenger when I was working as a service manager. The fuel rail was not properly tightened at the factory....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2019
    I remember well the days of caburated engines. Seeing a car on fire was commonplace.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034
    I remember well the days of caburated engines. Seeing a car on fire was commonplace.

Agreed you used to see a lot more of it. My friend's Road Runner burnt to the ground because it backfired through the air cleaner less carb. Leaded gas back then also had more of an explosive burn to it than the slower burning gas we have today.
  • nooshinjohn
    ^^^ More incontrovertible proof that things were better back in the day. Even gasoline was better. And those were steel cars that burned too, unlike the plastic crap they build today.. ;)B)

• motorstereo
    ^^^^Haha well I wouldn't go quite that far. There's no doubt the engineers squeeze a lot more hp from much smaller and cleaner burning engines nowadays even without the leaded 89 octane gas. Also the advances they've made in cleaner burning diesel engines in just the past few years help us all breathe cleaner air as well.
  • xschop
    "Also the advances they've made in cleaner burning diesel engines in just the past few years help us all breathe cleaner air as well"
    The well-coordinated campaign to deceive the public about this "clean diesel" has been brought to light recently.

• motorstereo
    ^^^Ok; take a look at a modern diesel's exhaust pipe. Just a few years ago it would be black with soot and now they look clean like a car's exhaust. Seeing and breathing is believing. I work on and around diesels all day long at work and I like coming now without a headache from breathing their exhaust. Some of the older diesels were instant headache machines the old 2 stroke Detroit diesels used to get to me right away. The clean burn system is in it's infancy and may not be perfect but they've come a long ways already.
  • mhardy6647
    Wonder if there are emissions standards for the automobiles themselves when they combust? ;)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    The clean diesel scam was really about software, changing from testing mode to actual driving mode, allowing more crap to be exhausted. It was really just a way to meet EPA standards, but at the cost of power. In the world of big trucks, power is something you can't skimp on. They got busted....still costing them a fortune.

Nobody is against cleaner air, or shouldn't be anyway. However when EPA regulations get a bit unrealistic, ways around it get developed, legal or not.

I gave up my CDL years ago, the over regulation of trucks, laws in my state, just got ridiculous. Now, we have a shortage of truck drivers. Who could have seen that coming. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2019
    The issue with diesel is not the exhaust gasses, but the actual particulate matter spewed out the exhaust.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorstereo
    I gave up my CDL years ago, the over regulation of trucks, laws in my state, just got ridiculous. Now, we have a shortage of truck drivers. Who could have seen that coming. ;)

Those regulations are in place for good reason. Where I work we also have a severe shortage of good truck drivers. Last season 2 of them went down the highway with their body's up and hit overpasses. One of them (God rest his soul) went through the windshield and then his truck ran over him killing him instantly. The other fellow luckily was wearing his seatbelt and was able to walk away from his destroyed truck. Had another driver fall asleep at the wheel on the highway fully loaded. He was lucky to as he veered into the woods where he tipped over spilled his load of blacktop and destroyed the new Mack.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    edited February 2019
    ….and because you have a shortage of GOOD truck drivers, they hire these idiots who can barely speak, barely drive a Barbie kids car, and put them behind the wheel of a big truck.

Which is more dangerous ? Excessive regulations or poor drivers ? Notice I said "excessive", certainly not for no regulations.

In my state, your guilty until proven innocent, even then it don't matter, you get a strike against your license which impacts you driving a passenger vehicle. You are also held criminally responsible by law, and can see jail time if the offense is bad enough. Not to mention the extreme costs of fines. Medical exams you have to go through, books to keep, etc. Nobody worth their salt wants to put up with the B.S., so you get sub-par truck drivers who will.

When you make it too difficult, introduce too many headaches , make it so you need a lawyer to keep up with all the laws or to have to defend yourself for simple violations, to make a living at simple jobs, people will stop applying for those jobs, plain and simple.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Trucks'll be driving themselves (at least long haul) within a decade (possibly less) -- there'll be some sort of hired hand on board to help unload it at the terminal, I expect.
  • I thought the world was gonna end in 12 years. If not, we'll be flying in solar airplanes. :D
  • mhardy6647
    charley95 wrote: »
    I thought the world was gonna end in 12 years. If not, we'll be flying in solar airplanes. :D

... not the "redeyes" ;)
  • xschop
    For an ICE, diesel or gasoline, you will never achieve the full balance of Carbon emission to Nitrous emission. Cooking the books like VW is the only way.
  • motorstereo
    tonyb wrote: »
    ….and because you have a shortage of GOOD truck drivers, they hire these idiots who can barely speak, barely drive a Barbie kids car, and put them behind the wheel of a big truck.

Which is more dangerous ? Excessive regulations or poor drivers ? Notice I said "excessive", certainly not for no regulations.

In my state, your guilty until proven innocent, even then it don't matter, you get a strike against your license which impacts you driving a passenger vehicle. You are also held criminally responsible by law, and can see jail time if the offense is bad enough. Not to mention the extreme costs of fines. Medical exams you have to go through, books to keep, etc. Nobody worth their salt wants to put up with the B.S., so you get sub-par truck drivers who will.

When you make it too difficult, introduce too many headaches , make it so you need a lawyer to keep up with all the laws or to have to defend yourself for simple violations, to make a living at simple jobs, people will stop applying for those jobs, plain and simple.

Very well said and I have agree. Sadly that's what I get for trying to defend our less than stellar truck drivers.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    verb wrote: »
    Interesting. Probably electrical related, IMO. With cars today so heavily electrical/computer controlled, certainly plausible.

Yup, all it takes is one 'low bid' relay or chip, and ***POOF***
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!