Need Heating Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Why not let your wall heater get the room up to temp, then switch to a quieter space heater to maintain temps during movies.

In my shop I use a kerosene heater to get up to temp, then my ceramic space heater has no problem maintaining it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Pffft, class A amps. Problem solved!
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    scubalab wrote: »
    So, part of what I’m up against... Makes me wonder what else is hiding behind our walls.

This was discovered when we pulled the old drywall. And yes, it is live.

rjx0ishtc9fp.jpeg

Noooooooo!! :s

That's a good example of why I stopped DIYing most home improvement. I don't like surprises.

On the original topic of this thread, and FWIW, I love our Mitsubishi "H2i" heat pump thingy. This thing is claimed to be able to operate efficiently down to -12 F. I can vouch for it down to -10. No auxiliary electric heater in it, since it really doesn't need one. It is quiet, competent and very energy efficient, too. We had this installed last summer. So far, I am thrilled with it. In fact, if I had it to do over again, I might used these for the whole house when we had it built.

We're using it as an auxiliary/backup for our propane boiler (and for some A/C in the summer), since our electricity is essentially free (via net metering).

28569962627_289a775290_h.jpgDSC_1842 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

29585856298_44f0ac5bed_h.jpgDSC_1840 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

That's what we have in our master bedroom. dual split and works like a charm!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Talked to a rep at Cadet Heating. He said the Com Pak models are not known to be 'quiet'. Ordered an SL series which was recommended as a much quieter heater. I'm not too optimistic, but it can't be any worse than the previous one. I figure we'll do as Steve and others recommended - use it to bring the room up to temp and then possibly use a quieter infrared or convection heater to maintain. Ultimately, we'll be installing a new split system heat pump. Like Doc recommended, Mitsubishi is the one I've heard the best reviews on. I think we even had an estimate a couple years ago to have one installed. Maybe next year or the year after.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited February 2019
    Options
    When we lived in California, I used to occasionally see a Mitsubishi pickup truck which had had its boldly lettered tailgate lettering altered to read "ITS BISHI" :)

Mitsubishi.
    Its bishi. :)

a little aural humor :|