Newbee to travel deals. Need help please

Options
I have never flown on a week long vacation. I am looking at 9th thru the 17th of March. Or any thing close to those days. Going from Mn/St.Paul international airport to San Diego,Ca. International Airport. The hotel we like so far is the Bahia Resort Hotel. Car rental will be a must also. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Peace. D
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    Killar looking resort....very nice..sure it will be a fantastic time
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I have late teen stepdaughters so we usually use southwest for everything since they can each take 2 suitcase and a carry on. And that's just for a week!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Anytime that I go to San Diego, I find a way to spend a night or two in Vegas on the way back. A nice way to wind down from those boring perfect weather days....or a day on the slopes in Tahoe.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If you like beer try Stone Brewery at Liberty Station nice beer and food.

https://www.stonebrewing.com/visit/bistros/liberty-station

They have a bigger place in Escondido but is about a 45min drive.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I will be in San Diego a couple of days after you leave to bad we could of had a beer together. The Coronado hotel is a great spot, but the Bahia is also a good choice. If you get a chance check out Old Town it's a good time, and grab a little authentic Mexican food at the Mexican Cafe or kitty corner across the way is a place called Fred's excellent Carne Asada tacos. Carmel, or La Jolla is also worth checking out. Have a good time.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    If you are a Costco member, Hyundai Elantra or similar for the duration (03/09 - 03/17) is approximately $305 of that $107 is local taxes/fees. (Alamo)

You would want to check with your auto insurer to determine if you need extra insurance. The one issue seems to be loss of use if you are in an accident. I rented car only with Costco in March 2018 for 8 days in Maui for $400 unlimited mileage.

Another item that may be a savings with Costco are the great rates for parking you personal car at the Mn/St.Paul airport. Used this at Atlanta airport for Maui trip.

I looked at hotels with Costco and the Bahia Resort Hotel is not listed. The Hyatt Mission Bay is shown for total price of $2,051 (2 people) for your dates with $520 local taxes/fees. In Maui, we stayed at a upscale condominium resort where the taxes/fees were high.

Hope this helps or can serve as a comparison point.
    Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    edited February 2019
    Options
    When I was in San Diego, I stayed at the Kimpton Solamar hotel. Close enough to the waterfront. Met Doug @dpowell for a lunch too!!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    If Mn/St.Paul is anything like Philly, long term parking at the airport is expensive. Line up offsite parking ahead of time & save some $$.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Any plans to head up to L.A. while you are here?

Here is a place to grab a bite...

https://hodadies.com/
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Looks like that burger joint has a location in San Diego. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    Was there for work last year and rather enjoyed staying at the Grande Colonial. In case you end up needing another hotel option. If you're good with managing your money, you might consider opening an airline credit card. Delta looks to fly out of MSP to SD, and they have a gold AMEX card that will give you 30K Delta Miles if you spend $1K after opening. So if you're good with managing your money, get the card and pay $1K worth of bills on it, pay it off, and then you'll have 31K Delta Miles, which should be enough to cover at least one of your two tickets.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options