2»

Comments

• Good rule of thumb is that if you start young
    (Hit it Sugar Cube Robinson)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY3rBjTY8mc

It is then easier as you grow older to advance to this
    (Hit it Little Richard)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxNSvFMkag

Now, the only thing I would ask (and I think I speak for the entire forum) is this:
    If you're going to put your leg and foot up on the piano, PLEASE DEAR GOD PLEASE change out of your kilt/skirt thing and put on some pants !!

The folks in the first row would be especially appreciative.
    .....well, most of them would. Not too sure about the Lightman. ;):)

DISCLAIMER ...... not that that's a bad thing.
    Sal Palooza
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    We already have someone on the forum have dibs on the Yamaha for when I move up to the Steinway!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    It's another activity to share with your family. Don't be discouraged when your kids blow your doors off...they learn so fast

let this be an inspiration

https://youtu.be/LdH1hSWGFGU

Too Funny Ron... I was going to post the exact video! What Valentina Lisitsa does here is not humanly possible.

5:59 - I think Tom & Jerry's rendition was way better. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DLbYGMj0g4
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Go for it!

I started taking lessons @ 57 for two years. I was/am adept @ guitar & bass but the p lessons taught me to read music. I plan to resume after I retire in the spring of 2020.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Joey_V
    We look forward to receiving the piano

Here was a picture at the dealer of similar but not exact since ours is coming from factory brand new
    jjble79gbad8.jpeg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Congrats Joey. I want a baby grand too, but for me, I will go the used route. I see too many Steinways at estate sales they can’t give away, so being the cheapskate I am....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2019
    10,000 hours of practice is the recognized amount of time that it takes to reach your full potential in these type of endeavors. Loosely seven years of 5 hours of daily practice or 55 years of 30 minutes a day......I wouldn't wait too long to start.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Joey_V
    Yeah but I could not find the exact player plus silent plus grand unit. If only I found one used.

Atleast they have an upgrade policy, that’s what really sold me cuz I know how I can be.
    Congrats Joey. I want a baby grand too, but for me, I will go the used route. I see too many Steinways at estate sales they can’t give away, so being the cheapskate I am....

• Joey_V
    10,000 hours of practice is the recognized amount of time that it takes to reach your full potential in these type of endeavors. Loosely seven years of 5 hours of daily practice or 55 years of 30 minutes a day......I wouldn't wait too long to start.

Interesting. That’s what they said about becoming a doctor too.

Too bad I’ve passed that mark and still have a lot to learn.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Joey_V wrote: »

At 36, spring chicken no more.

Atleast my ears can still appreciate the sound. I have not heard anything as beautiful as the Steinway D. Absolutely heaven on Earth.

Yikes.....36!....way past your prime. I think you should just throw in the towel, sell us your remaining audio gear, and get one of these.

72qib7l0v6hd.jpg

That way you can throw back a cold one and listen to the piano to your hearts content at the same time.

On a more serious note...congrats!
  • When I was in my mid-thirties, I had the same question. I took piano lessons and learned that I was not too old. It was easier than expected and quite fun.

After I learned the answer to the question, I sold the piano and spent more time on my sailboat. It's all about the enjoyment you have. You can start and stop anytime you please

Do it!

Or as Admiral David Glasgow Farragut said at the Battle of Mobile Bay;

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" .
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    I practice(d) on a used lower end Yamaha Clavinova.

Sounds decent, has near-piano like feel, doesn’t need tuning, and is headphone compatible for when the kids practice.

You not too old. Enjoy! Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Joey, I've got 4 weeks to learn oboe for a show. Granted, I majored on Saxophone in college. But, I've done nothing on double reeds in 30yrs. LOL
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    xsmi wrote: »
    Joey, I've got 4 weeks to learn oboe for a show. Granted, I majored on Saxophone in college. But, I've done nothing on double reeds in 30yrs. LOL

Good luck with that one. Reeds are not anything like riding a bike, and an Oboe and a Saxophone have little in common from what I can tell.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    xsmi wrote: »
    nlb0tqsjaq5x.png

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited February 2019
    Never too old to learn and I am going back to the basics with my passion of drums and plan on learning a bunch of new stuff. Keeps it fresh.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Thanks for the inspiration, @Joey_V. I’m restarting my lessons, after a 37 year hiatus, next week. Wish me luck!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited February 2019
    I can play "Pimp" by 50 cent on the piano, them pros ain't got nothing on that skill.

"I don't know what you have heard about me...."
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Never too late. And the piano is, in my mind, the easiest of the bunch to learn on. That C key is always a C and always in the same place. No trying to hit the right string on the right fret or any of that business. Enjoy!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"