SDA How can I maximize

Options
11'6" x 21' x 8' High Room. Full wall windows at each end.
Left wall is brick
Right wall is wood, with stone fireplace
Floor is cement, with vinyl tile
Ceiling is wood frame, with acoustic tile (staple up)
Speakers are 1B's, and are situated against windows, about 6' apart.
Driven by Anthem pre, and Crown power

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Hey Coupe, welcome to the forum!

Without seeing your layout, placement is critical. At least 3 feet away from any corner, and 6" from the back wall.

If they're not spiked, big improvement there!

Vinyl floor could be an issue. Maybe an area rug?

Post a sketch for us to get a better feel for your room. Rock on! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I can suspect several members here will suggest a step up in amp quality to start, and rotate the room 90* (put the speakers on the long wall, if not already.

Have they been updated in the XO area?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I can suspect several members here will suggest a step up in amp quality to start, and rotate the room 90* (put the speakers on the long wall, if not already.

Have they been updated in the XO area?

I moved my SRS's to the long wall. Bang! Really opened em up. Got a nice 10ft equilateral triangle placement, and the sound field practically surrounds me!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    That's how I have mine as well.
  • Coupe1985
    Coupe1985 Posts: 34
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Caps and resistors upgraded. Not inductors...yet
    Interconnect upgraded to speak-on cable
    I also have a Nikko Alpha 440, but those Polk's really give it a workout.
    The crown actually sounds really good. Brand new XLS2502
  • Coupe1985
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Hey Coupe, welcome to the forum!

Without seeing your layout, placement is critical. At least 3 feet away from any corner, and 6" from the back wall.

If they're not spiked, big improvement there!

Vinyl floor could be an issue. Maybe an area rug?

Post a sketch for us to get a better feel for your room. Rock on! :smile:

Sorry, I do have an area rug that covers roughly half of the floor area.
    I'll draw it up and post in a bit
    Is turning g the room, and having the back wall so close to my back going to create issues?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    How far off the back wall are they? Mine have the best bass response 3.75" off the back wall. Play with them a bit to find the sweet spot. The windows may not be doing you any favors and yes you have a hard room. I bet it has an echo that you can noticeably hear when you make a sharp sound when all is quiet.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I think my SRS2's are 6" off the back "longer" wall. I think I had a 9' triangle.

I'd have to check distance from the back wall again. I spiked mine too. Bass improved!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Coupe1985
    Coupe1985 Posts: 34
    edited February 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    How far off the back wall are they? Mine have the best bass response 3.75" off the back wall. Play with them a bit to find the sweet spot. The windows may not be doing you any favors and yes you have a hard room. I bet it has an echo that you can noticeably hear when you make a sharp sound when all is quiet.

They are about 8" off the wall. Have to be right now because of the long stand in between them. If I turn the room and put them on either side of the fireplace I could move them much closer without interference
    There seems to be enough other stuff in the room that there is no echo
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Hello, welcome to the forum. You seem like an outstanding individual and I bet your equipment sounds stellar. I think you should try biamping and let us know what improvements you hear. Tell us about how you bought your equipment and how you came to join this forum. How is your day going? Do you have a big family? Have you been in the audio hobby long?"
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited February 2019
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hello, welcome to the forum. You seem like an outstanding individual and I bet your equipment sounds stellar. I think you should try biamping and let us know what improvements you hear. Tell us about how you bought your equipment and how you came to join this forum. How is your day going? Do you have a big family? Have you been in the audio hobby long?"

Jesse? Is that you?

If so...your typing skills have gotten long winded now. I like it. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • FestYboy
    Options

Ummmm wut!? Who are you, and what have you done with our resident vamp?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    I TOLD YOU GUYS HE APPROVED MY BI AMPING!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I TOLD YOU GUYS HE APPROVED MY BI AMPING!!!

Hello, yes not only that, but through blind testing we found that stacking speakers were preferred to single pairs regardless of the design or cost.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Ooh, ooh, a kinder, gentler Jesse!
  • Coupe1985
    Options

I feel like this is a trap.....lol
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Good instincts
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    Coupe1985 wrote: »

I feel like this is a trap.....lol

you'll fit right in.....

Welcome aboard
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    This may help on ideas on placement https://polksda.com/manuals.shtml
    Randy/Maine
  • Coupe1985
    Options

Hi there. I am a horrible individual. I beat dogs.
    I went right for the gold and triamped. It made no difference, my sound design rack system sounds better.
    I didn't buy any of my equipment. I "borrowed" it from my neighbor. Shhhhhhhhhh, don't tell him.
    I joined thinking maybe I could talk sense into yins. But I now know that's a lost cause.
    I have been in the hobby of audio about 2 weeks
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Sounds like most of us.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Hello, yes not only that, but through blind testing we found that stacking speakers were preferred to single pairs regardless of the design or cost.

Top stack upside down though right??? ;)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options

8vhkde98v37b.jpg
    Apparently someone has hijacked F1's account. I liked the old F1 that threw out one liners with lots of useful information compressed down to one sentence.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet