Help Please. Distortion in left speaker channel on B&K3030 Power Amp

Hi All.

I recently got a new B&K3030 power amp. On louder levels on any source, the left speaker has a crackle/distortion that sounds like a blown tweeter in the speaker.

I swapped speaker lines in the back of the amp and the crackle followed to the other speaker. I tried a different preamp just in case but it's the power amp.

I have five days to return it to the ebay seller or I can try to have it serviced. Any ideas what this issue might be??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Could be anyone of the following, bad caps, bad output devices, cold solder joint(s). Send it back.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    If it doesn't work as advertised in the eBay auction then return it!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    It's broken. Either get it fixed, or exchanged.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • imsjry
    imsjry Posts: 120
    Yup...having it looked at at a local shop and the Ebay seller is being very good about it. Just was wondering what you guys think would cause that issue. It's only at louder than conversation levels do you hear it. It sounds like its clipping but relegated to the left speaker output. It isn't the Input channel.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    edited February 2019
    Local shop? Seller being "good" about it? It sounds like you're being coerced into keeping it and accommodating the burden of being shipped a faulty product that isn't as advertised.

Come on, that thing should've been back in the box and on it's way to the seller before you could say "Jiminy Cricket".
  • imsjry
    Well the seller is willing to credit me up to a certain amount for repairs. I’d rather keep it if it can be fixed and get a credit then sent it back. Wrong decision?!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2019
    Being 23 yrs old, this could be an indicator of things to come as well unless it's refreshed and that could run $500 or more.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited February 2019
    Agree with Drew. Just return it. While I admire your desire to work with the seller & get it functioning 100%, unless he refunds you the repair cost up front you are setting yourself up to get hosed when the seller changes his mind & gives you nothing. It's a catch 22. Once the tech opens it up, it's yours. Until the tech opens it up, you won't know how much it will cost to repair.
  • imsjry
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Being 23 yrs old, this could be an indicator of things to come as well unless it's refreshed and that could run $500 or more.

Yup. I guess this is always the risk of buying "vintage" and why I didn't want to rush returning it. I just wanted someone to look at the "damage" before just sending it back off. I always wanted to have a B&K based on the glowing reviews of fellow Polkers.
  • imsjry
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Agree with Drew. Just return it. While I admire your desire to work with the seller & get it functioning 100%, unless he refunds you the repair cost up front you are setting yourself up to get hosed when the seller changes his mind & gives you nothing. It's a catch 22. Once the tech opens it up, it's yours. Until the tech opens it up, you won't know how much it will cost to repair.

Ok thanks. The seller is an A/V Electronics store so I do trust their word but i totally get what you guys are saying. This could be a slippery slope!

Funny thing is, I love the way my LSiM 705s sound now that I hooked them back up to my vintage Kenwood. Not sure I even really need the B&K to drive them.

• audioluvr
    On the bright side. Having it refreshed could be much cheaper than buying new. They are great sounding amps
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • imsjry
    audioluvr wrote: »
    On the bright side. Having it refreshed could be much cheaper than buying new. They are great sounding amps

That's what I'm waiting to make a determination on. Will it be worth it to repair or should I send it back, get my money returned, and keep searching. New power amps (and Preamps) are ridiculously expensive!
  • audioluvr
    There are folks here who can help you find reputable audiophile quality repair services in your area if that's the route you choose.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC