Wanting New Replacement speakers for vintage Monitor 7

Hi all, I'm thinking I should finally replace my old from 1985 Polk Monitor 7's. These speakers work fine but I figure it is 1980's technology and the current models should sound even better........if that's true, I know some still like the sound of these old speakers.

I mostly listen to jazz and classic rock. The room is my man cave which is 25 x 20, but I don't need to blow the walls down, LOL. I'm using a Yamaha RX-V373 which I believe is 100w per channel. These would be under the tables in the room so I don't want really tall speakers. A quick research brought up the s15 or s20 speakers......these fit into my price range as well. I know this is subjective as everyone has different sound tastes and I probably should go somewhere to hear them, but I live in a "Audio Store desert" out here in Nevada so listening before hand is probably out.

Should I even bother and stick with these old speakers? Will the new technology be worth the investment? I know its worth it for computers and phones. Thanks!

Doug

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    I believe you are a good candidate for a lifestyle product.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,046
    Take a glance through the Vintage Speakers section of the forum. Many threads about the M7s there & what people think of them. Especially if you spend a little time & money to restore them.

S15s or S20s are nice, but, IMNSHO, they don't hold a candle to Monitor 7s
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2019
    Welcome to Club Polk Doug!

I upgraded to the S60's after 27 years of having Polk's RTA-8T's. The Signature series is TERRIFIC. They will more than hold their own with Polks older generation speakers.

They can easily handle both music and movies, and have the famous easy to listen to Polk sound.

I strongly recommend stepping up to either of the S15 or 20 you won't be disappointed.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • After much consideration.....(eyes falling out of my head, from monitor fatigue, Lol) I think I may go with the RTI A3. Anyone think this is a bone head decision? :-)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited January 2019
    For music it will be a different beast (not in a good way). While the RTI A series are nice you gotta read into the name. Reference Theater Improved.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • So the Signature series would be better?????
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Yes!!! Trust me, your ears will thank you.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    magicrat wrote: »
    After much consideration.....(eyes falling out of my head, from monitor fatigue, Lol) I think I may go with the RTI A3. Anyone think this is a bone head decision? :-)

It would depend where you live and how far I would have to drive to take the Monitor 7's off your hands,
  • I wasn't planning on getting rid of the old Monitor 7's, will use them else where in the house, but its nice to know I made a good buying decision some 30 odd years ago.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2019
    Everybody should have a pair of M7's.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    I've owned a pair since 1978 and I have no intention of getting rid of them in my own lifetime.
    In terms of sound quality for dollar, they were difficult to impossible to beat.

I smiled at the "1980s technology" comment in the OP, since nowadays my "daily driver" two-channel hifi loudspeakers contain some components from the 1960s, and are essentially completely based on "1940s technology" in loudspeakers. :)

37183971871_06bc521a1c_h.jpgDSC_9570 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Thanks for all the comments, but now I'm seriously thinking I should just keep the Monitor 7's and spend the money elsewhere on my system. Will I see a significant improvement in SQ by going to the S20???
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Update the M7s, I suspect they will then yield better results that the signatures could ever hope to manage.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,046
    I have heard the Signature series. Not the S60s cfrizz has, but other ones.
    I like them. They are wonderful speakers.

But there is a reason why I say that you will pry my Model 7s from my cold, dead, and lifeless fingers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    magicrat wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments, but now I'm seriously thinking I should just keep the Monitor 7's and spend the money elsewhere on my system. Will I see a significant improvement in SQ by going to the S20???

NO!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk