Using a BluRay player to play your flac files?

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited January 2019 in Going Digital
I'm curious as to how other BR players (besides Oppo) music interface looks/works. Do you stream flac with a BR player? If so what player do you have? Basically looking for other BR player options that do flac if my Oppo dies on me.

I think some of the newer Panasonic players support flac, and appear to have a usb input for a HDD.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Sorry I don't have an answer since I use a dedicated streamer from the home PC. ALl the BDPs I have ever had sound like shite for music lol. But I am curious Steve, do you think the Oppo sounds better than your old squeezebox touch with the upgrade power supply? I am running one in the bedroom rig and I think it sounds pretty darned good...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2019
    I run the Oppo as a transport only, going coaxial into my DAC. Never heard my SQB or Oppo through their own DAC outputs.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited January 2019
    Steve,
    I don't think the playback interface is very good for most players. If the Oppo dies, I'd say go to a dedicated streamer plus a good DAC. It will wow you. I have written plenty about how simple little fanless computer (<$50) running Daphile can do everything you need. Just mate with a solid USB DAC.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • steveinaz
    I have the DAC, just looking for possible BluRay solutions that provide the same flexibility as the Oppo; HDD attachement/flac support/coaxial output
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    If you are not against the idea of DLNA streaming from a PC or NAS (vs. direct HDD connection), many BDP's will do FLAC with DLNA. With DLNA, there are nice phone/tablet apps (control point) that allow music efficient browsing/selection.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how other BR players (besides Oppo) music interface looks/works. Do you stream flac with a BR player? If so what player do you have? Basically looking for other BR player options that do flac if my Oppo dies on me.

I think some of the newer Panasonic players support flac, and appear to have a usb input for a HDD.

My Sony will do it. Its just really slow navigating. Sound prerty good tho.
  • steveinaz
    Think I'll just go the Bluesound node 2i route.
  • deronb1
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Think I'll just go the Bluesound node 2i route.

Me too, eventually
  • steveinaz
    I can't see spending a ridiculous amount on a streamer that's going to an external DAC.
  • deronb1
    Right. If my Yammy could read all the files on my HDD, I wouldnt even need the Node.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    CXN V2 is the DAC
  • afterburnt
    @steveinaz Steve are you running the Brooklyn DAC?
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2019
    PS audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC.

My whole approach for my system, for many years, was to have a very good external DAC so I wouldn't have to spend $2500+ for each source component. Also, most higher quality DAC's will have a superior analog output stage as well--if you do your research and get the right one.
  • afterburnt
    @steveinaz I was thinking of someone else, carry on.
  • deronb1 wrote: »
    Right. If my Yammy could read all the files on my HDD, I wouldnt even need the Node.

Your Yammy could read all your files if you just moved them to a NAS!!!! That's what's Up! B)
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 wrote: »

Your Yammy could read all your files if you just moved them to a NAS!!!! That's what's Up! B)

Oh no you di'int! Snap, snap!