Yamaha RX-A870 or Denon AVR-X3500H for New Signature Speaker System

Hi everyone! I'm hoping for some assistance in picking the best receiver for my new Polk Signature 5.1 system. I have S60s in the front, S35 centre, S15s for surround, and HTS12 for Sub. This said, music quality is still the priority over home theatre.

I have my selections down to the Yamaha RX-A870 (I know the RX-A880 is released, but price-point I could match these two) or Denon AVR-X3500H.

My room is 17' long, 13' wide, and 13' high, but making it more challenging is one side opens to the dining room at 4.5' high sharing the same ceiling, making for a very imbalanced room.

I believe that in a perfect room, Yamaha is the better quality, and nicer sounding receiver. However, Denon's Audyssey XT32 may do a better job correcting the irregularities of my room than Yamaha's YPAO R.S.C. Multipoint.

Any personal experiences and thoughts are hugely appreciated!!!
Living Room: Receiver - Denon AVR-X3500H, S60s, S15s, S35, HTS12
Master Bedroom - TC Electronic Konnekt 8 (PC source via ADAT), Dynaudio BM5a (powered)

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk! Since both of them have the all important preouts to add separate amplification, get whichever one you like best. A good many here like the Denons.

Congrats on getting the Signature series, you are going to love them!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Congrats on the Signature Series. I am fan of the Yamaha Aventage Series but Denon and Marantz make some nice AVRs and get kudos around here as well. As cfrizz noted having preouts is a plus as it give you the option to add a separate power amp later. Adding an amp will make those 60s sing.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I have owned higher end but older versions of both. I would go with the denon it’s slightly more dynamic for home theater and has a better calibration system but really, both are great avrs!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • syxeth
    syxeth Posts: 5
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I have owned higher end but older versions of both. I would go with the denon it’s slightly more dynamic for home theater and has a better calibration system but really, both are great avrs!

Any thoughts on music? I'm still probably a 60%/40% split for music/home theatre, and much more picky about music accuracy. :)
    Master Bedroom - TC Electronic Konnekt 8 (PC source via ADAT), Dynaudio BM5a (powered)
  • You won't really discover the S60's musical chops until you get a dedicated 2 channel amp behind them. I suggest at least 200w, something you can add later. As mentioned you need an AVR with preouts.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    If music is your priority, I would look at Marantz. I also wouldn’t buy the newest series, there hasn’t been any reason to upgrade in the last few years.

If in your budget I suggest:
    https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7011/marantz-sr7011-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
  • rooftop59
    Honestly the denons are very close to marantz with music (I have a marantz in the bedroom as a pre for psb imagine Bs). I would give a slight nod to the denon over the Yamaha for music, but it’s really close.

Agreed about the amp, and both options have preouts so get the one with the best price and options and save for a 2 channel amp down the road.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • jwb0007
    jwb0007 Posts: 62
    syxeth, sent a PM.
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

AVRs: Yamaha RX-A2030, Onkyo TX-NR646
    Speakers: BIC FH6-LCR x 3, BIC FH-65B x 2, Polk RTi6 x 2, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
    Subs: Polk PSW505 x 2, Polk PSW10, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
  • syxeth
    You won't really discover the S60's musical chops until you get a dedicated 2 channel amp behind them. I suggest at least 200w, something you can add later. As mentioned you need an AVR with preouts.

Agreed! Both of these have pre-outs, and it was part of the reason these were finalists. I definitely plan to invest further on the 2-channel music front as future budget allows.

In the shorter-term, since I’m only going 5.1 for the HT, I had planned to bi-amp the S60s. Also supported by both. I have read mixed opinions on that. Until I add an additional outboard amp, what does everyone think of that option?

Thanks again to everyone!
  • rooftop59
    Bi-amping from an AVR doesn’t do anything, it’s just a marketing ploy. One, there is only one power supply to draw from in those. Two, Look at the test bench measurements of those or similar AVRs. The wattage drops pretty dramatically when you move from 2 channels to 5 channels, and then usually takes another hit when you move to 7 channels. Bottom line is the main speakers are not actually getting any more power. But, it doesn’t hurt to give it a try if you feel like messing with the extra wire...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Don't bi amp, replace the speaker brass jumpers with speaker wire. Adds wonders to the overall sound of the speaker.

Either AVR will be a nice fit. Set speakers to small and C/O of 80hz
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    I just picked up the Yamaha RX A1060 and although I don't use its power, the sound is amazing and the app for my android is really cool. Kills the Onkyo app. The 4k pass through is no joke. Gave my tv a kick in the but.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I like the Yammy too, but havent had a Denon since 2011
  • syxeth
    mrloren wrote: »
    Don't bi amp, replace the speaker brass jumpers with speaker wire. Adds wonders to the overall sound of the speaker.

Thanks for the suggestion mrloren! I'll swap out the little plates for wires. I suspect my 12awg wire has less resistance than those brass plates.

also . . . noting your signature . . . my kids are constantly telling me to turn down my music too! :smiley:
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    syxeth wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestion mrloren! I'll swap out the little plates for wires. I suspect my 12awg wire has less resistance than those brass plates.

also . . . noting your signature . . . my kids are constantly telling me to turn down my music too! :smiley:

yeah, what's up with that. I'm an adult living in a house I pay for. I should be able to blast it like I want to.. :)
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    A selling point for the Denon I think would be the Mult EQ Editor app that would allow you to tweak the calibration as well as save unlimited configurations to be uploaded to the avr at your discretion.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184933/tilting-towers-to-get-tweeter-ear-level#latest
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    Although your sub will take a lot of the current load off the AVR at 80Hz, that will make the sub quite directional and the towers sound somewhat thinner. The S60s have -3db at 44Hz according to one reviewer. You might experiment with the available crossover points in the AVR all the way down to 40Hz to see what balance you like best. You could also have different crossover preferences for certain source material and volume that would justify changing it often for them.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.