Elac Adante AF-61 (took some diy to make perfect)

Comments

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    verb wrote: »
    Hey Joe, I for one, and IMO a lot of the folks here, appreciate and admire the fact that you decided to fix it, rather than return em. Hopefully no affect on warranty.
    I agree and I've actually done the same a couple of times myself. Anyway, those Elacs are beautiful. I'd like to get my ear on them at AXPONA show this year.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Joe is that top cone a tweeter inside a mid driver???? If it is, this is the first time I've see something like that. In the other pics I was wondering where the tweeter was.

Why did they make it this way and how does it sound.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    edited January 2019
    Hey Joe, as I'm not too experienced w/ concentric tweeters, what is the best placement you have found so far. (toe in, ect.) Thanks for any insight.

Addendum: I love the specs for Bass. I'm missing that a bit while listening to Jazz...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I’m still in the process of finding what sounds best. The whole sound changed with these from the polks so it all sounds better. Flat or toe. So I need more time with them to get used to their sound before I can make that call. Make sense?
  • joecoulson
    Ok @SIHAB I think I have settled (for now) on what sounds the best and I’m very new to these so it might change. I have them about 11-12 feet apart. They are about the same distance from the sweet spot. And I have them about 12” from the back wall and a very slight toe in. Maybe 4-5deg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I’m listening to some electronic music now and the sound is wrapping around me like 5.1 with these things. Totally worth what I spent on them.

Love it! I'm thrilled you are happy with your new speakers Joe, it sounds like they are a perfect fit for your room.

Great job on the DIY fix as well, hope ELAC can correct the issue at the factory.
  • joecoulson
    Thank You Drew. Me too
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Absolutely beautiful speakers! I would love to hear them. I congratulate you on having the gumption to undertake that project. You have big round ones my friend!!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • joecoulson
    edited January 2019
    Thank You sir.

These things are pretty well rounded (the speakers lol) but what got my attention the most is big classical music. The ability of these towers to put you directly in the middle of the orchestra is uncanny. Most of us (I assume) close our eyes when critical listening and for me this allows my senses to focus on hearing as much as possible. When doing this with the Elacs on say Mendelssohn, there is a clear definition of all the instruments in their specific locations. Even the solo strings can be located forward of the rest of the strings. I can only guess that the concentric tweeter/mid is helping this accuracy.
    The testing continues...
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    Thanks for sharing.
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • StewartHolmes83
    StewartHolmes83 Posts: 20
    edited January 2019
    Just to confirm...

Is the 'chauk' silicone free? I believe loudspeaker driver voice coils don't like silicone, not intirely sure why yet I use an acrylic based one for my internal speakers cabinets

Well worth doing though, as with gaskets around the drivers and making sure bass reflex holes are glued well. Plastic binding posts are a pet hate of mine 😣
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I wouldn't worry about silicone polymers, but there are at least two flavors of RTV on the market. The 'standard' RTV uses an acid catalyst (acetic acid, by the smell of it) -- but there are also neutral cure RTV products. The latter are recommended, for aquariums, and probably in electronics too.

Otherwise, silicone (which is essentially a polymer based on silicon rather than carbon) is pretty benign stuff.
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about silicone polymers, but there are at least two flavors of RTV on the market. The 'standard' RTV uses an acid catalyst (acetic acid, by the smell of it) -- but there are also neutral cure RTV products. The latter are recommended, for aquariums, and probably in electronics too.

Otherwise, silicone (which is essentially a polymer based on silicon rather than carbon) is pretty benign stuff.

Great info, thanks for sharing
  • joecoulson
    Just to confirm...

Is the 'chauk' silicone free? I believe loudspeaker driver voice coils don't like silicone, not intirely sure why yet I use an acrylic based one for my internal speakers cabinets

Well worth doing though, as with gaskets around the drivers and making sure bass reflex holes are glued well. Plastic binding posts are a pet hate of mine 😣

Here is the silicone used. Latex mix, not pure and less likely to have any gassing as it dries hard enough for paint in 20 mins which is what time I waited (and more) to put back together.
    n9bj1zb307a2.jpeg

And the binding posts are metal and carbon fiber with accent black and red. Not all plastic.
  • Am sure now that is more than enough for the purpose and thank you for sharing and pictures 😎
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    VERY cool speakers.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • joecoulson
    Thank You Steve. Enjoying them more and more each day.
  • joecoulson
    Little disappointed that I have not heard back from Elac yet. I emailed the info@elac.us one with the same info as I did the customer service one. Nothing yet.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited January 2019
    Remember the green drivers and other issues on the first release?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Hah, I had to look that up. http://noaudiophile.com/ELAC_UB5/
  • joecoulson
    Thanks Skip. Again, hate to beat a dead horse but these things are fantastic and worth every penny IF they come out of the factory sealed in all chambers. For the price I got them, the extra work I still got them for a steal.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Were the ones you got returns or seconds? Just wondering if there were any connection between the price and the "issues" you had to deal with?
  • joecoulson
    Nope. Brand spankin new
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616

Yes, I do. I bought an entire set of them. After I got them, I listened to them. No bass response to speak of so I set up a return. Elac customer service was outstanding.

henp4bwbiatr.jpg
    ui2p3cew016r.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    :#
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    :#

Live and learn, I guess.

The Energy RC-70's and the RC-LCR outperformed the ELAC speakers in every aspect except the top end clarity. The Energy speakers weren't bad in that respect at all but the ELAC Uni-Fi speakers had the edge in that area. Not enough for me to want to keep them. lol.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    Those were ported correct?
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    halo wrote: »

Yes, I do. I bought an entire set of them. After I got them, I listened to them. No bass response to speak of so I set up a return. Elac customer service was outstanding.
    How crazy is that? I think we both were impressed with the demo at AXPONA. I even asked A. Jones if the sub was playing during the demo. I guess its safe to say there was some quality control issue with the mass produced units verses the speakers they demoed at the show.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2