What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited December 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I did this today. I must admit it took a fair amount of contemplating and some prodding from a member here as well to do this deed :D

uqc0gir0hga4.jpg

WTH???
    And you did that why?

Looks like he made a set of jumpers?

Or, made a set of Terminator 2's (best), by cutting em in half? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Moved furniture around and recalibrated the system. Sounds more open and the Soundstage is more wide and noticeable.
  • verb
    edited December 2018
    Figured that a proper evaluation of @GlennDog Cary Pre-Amp would take at least 5 years to complete! :smile:wdxunuem577b.jpeg
    Edited to say just kidding! :smile:
    Post edited by verb on
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I did this today. I must admit it took a fair amount of contemplating and some prodding from a member here as well to do this deed :D

uqc0gir0hga4.jpg

WTH???
    And you did that why?

I upgraded the dreadnaught's speakon wires and I wanted to use MIT. For anyone that's never worked with it MIT wiring is pure hell to work with. The good part is the cables are done; installed and they sound great.
  • verb

uqc0gir0hga4.jpg

WTH???
    And you did that why?

I upgraded the dreadnaught's speakon wires and I wanted to use MIT. For anyone that's never worked with it MIT wiring is pure hell to work with. The good part is the cables are done; installed and they sound great.

Cool. Any more pics? Installed?
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^^The dreadnaught case and the cables are pretty well hidden behind the rack. Not all that much to see other than a couple of Mit-speakon cables. My fingers are still hurtin though trying to wrangle those fat cables into the speakon connectors. I hogged the holes out in the connectors as much as I dared and it was still a really tight fit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    verb wrote: »
    Figured that a proper evaluation of @GlennDog Cary Pre-Amp would take at least 5 years to complete! :smile:wdxunuem577b.jpeg

ASOLID8MMSPIKE3_.jpg
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited December 2018
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. This thread is dedicated to....well, read the title. Pretty self explanatory.

Today, I measured the distance of the subs/speakers to the listening position down to 1/8 of an inch including the toe in and will be messing around with dialing in the Rythmik F-25's.

What have you done for your rig today?

Tom

This morning I dusted all the gear and everything around it. Man, we build up a lot of dust in this house! Now I'm going to listen to music streamed via TIDAL for a few hours while I contemplate the ending year and look forward to the new year. We are retiring and moving so lots of changes coming in the new year. Looking forward to when every day is a Saturday! :)
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Congrats mark. Big step.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616

That Cary preamp is very pretty
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    halo wrote: »

That Cary preamp is very pretty

Might
    look good with one of those Crimson Carvers, methinks.

x0g1sp558fyl.png

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

uqc0gir0hga4.jpg

WTH???
    And you did that why?

What are you going to do with the network boxes?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    mark090852 wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. This thread is dedicated to....well, read the title. Pretty self explanatory.

Today, I measured the distance of the subs/speakers to the listening position down to 1/8 of an inch including the toe in and will be messing around with dialing in the Rythmik F-25's.

What have you done for your rig today?

Tom

This morning I dusted all the gear and everything around it. Man, we build up a lot of dust in this house! Now I'm going to listen to music streamed via TIDAL for a few hours while I contemplate the ending year and look forward to the new year. We are retiring and moving so lots of changes coming in the new year. Looking forward to when every day is a Saturday! :)

Turned mine on last night so that it will be ready to rock tonight. I retire at the end of April 2019, and, believe me, I am ready. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    Rolled the JJ tubes (12AU7's and 12AT7's) out of the VTL 2.5 pre and replaced em with Russian Mullards! Want to get a baseline before swapping in some NOS tubes recently acquired. :smile:
    axgu6fqiyeuf.png
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    What now tubes did you get?? I have found that nos Millard’s and amperexes are the bees knees! Love them both in my thumba
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • motorstereo

Nothing planned yet do you have any ideas? I've heard there's not a whole to see inside one; lots of glue and a few capacitors?

• verb
    stangman67 wrote: »
    What now tubes did you get?? I have found that nos Millard’s and amperexes are the bees knees! Love them both in my thumba

Yep. I got this set cause they're new. Wanted to get a good set that I know will work before I start rolling. After the drama I had with the unit last week. I do have a set of Amperex 12AU7's (bugle boys), and nice a pair of 12AT7's from @heiney9. I don't have a tube tester (yet), so this for me will make troubleshooting easier.

Oh yeah I can't forget the motherlode of tubes (included with the pre) I got from @gmcman :smile:

And yes, it is a sickness! :smile:
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

Nothing planned yet do you have any ideas? I've heard there's not a whole to see inside one; lots of glue and a few capacitors?

Was thinking maybe they could be patched into some existing cables I have.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^I do believe that can be arranged. I honestly have no use for them.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Those bugle boys are awesome! I like the nos Mullard “shield logos” better but they both sound great!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • motorstereo
    Was thinking maybe they could be patched into some existing cables I have.

I didn't leave much cable length to work with. But if you think you can make them into something then pm me your address and it would be my pleasure to karma them along to you

• mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited December 2018
    @BlueFox
    "Turned mine on last night so that it will be ready to rock tonight. I retire at the end of April 2019, and, believe me, I am ready. :)"

Best wishes in your upcoming retirement! Well deserved I am sure! Enjoy!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • motorstereo
    what I did to my rig today.... Hmmmm.

I struck a deal to acquire a set of original Carver Silver Seven tube amps.... :p:p:p

r8kap8acw0c8.jpg
    027wborili0b.jpg

WOW......talk about an end game pair of amps!!!!!!.....congrats to you
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    what I did to my rig today.... Hmmmm.

I struck a deal to acquire a set of original Carver Silver Seven tube amps.... :p:p:p

r8kap8acw0c8.jpg
    027wborili0b.jpg

WOW, just WOW! I hope the seller just recently retubed those beauties!

Congrats!

• Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Had some protection fuses delivered, installed (I did a bad thing), and got the rig back in excellent shape.

Also received a new cart for the turntable and new tonearm scale.

Not exactly a second Christmas, but still pretty good.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I’ve almost convinced my dad to switch to Tidal for music streaming, after a comparison at a place called Hifi Klubben (translates to Hifi Club) in Alesund, Norway. So, not a change yet, but maybe will be an improvement soon.
    I was actually surprised how much of a difference the Hi-Res file made compared to the CD quality file. :)
  • motorstereo
    [quote="verb;c-2467571"
    Cool. Any more pics? Installed?[/quote]

Sure; here's one of the speaker ends. Looks like I need to do some housecleaning back there to.

u18uia2fni8o.jpg

• verb
    Looking good @motorstereo ! How to they compare in performance to the other cables?
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^^^Thanks verb and as I mentioned in the "speaker wire" thread this cable swap surprised me by being a noticeable sonic upgrade.