5JR+ Impedance Question

Options
Hello there. I have a pair of 5jr+ speakers that I am adding to a new Onkyo receiver. 100W/pc RMS. Initially I was pushing a passive Revel LCR8 sound bar for my left center and right channels. I am experimenting with a new set up. Using the polks for the left and right channels and turning the LCR8 into my center channel. Currently I have the Soundbar (left and right channels only) wired in parrallel to the center channel with an impedance of 4 ohm. My receiver is rated from 4-16 ohm and is set for 4 ohm speakers. I was also thinking of wiring the three 8ohm speakers of the soundbar 2 in parallel and one in series to equal a 12 ohm impedance. My surrounds are 8ohms. Am I tasking my amp too much pushing this many different loads? I hate to get rid of my polks as they just sound awesome. The revel LCR8 also sounds great. Suggestions for what I should do...scrap it all and buy newer and matching load speakers and/or can this setup work?

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    2 8 ohm in parallel and 1 8 ohm in series is not 12 ohm... Closer to 6... That being the case, the receiver shouldn't care.
  • jimmy3323
    Options
    My resistance math is rusty! let me make sure I have explained the wiring corectly, The left channel is wired directly to the amp (+ and -) then i wired the + terminal of the left channel to the + terminal of the right channel and the - terminal of the left channel to the - terminal of the right channel. If I am right then this is in parallel, correct? Then i wired the - terminal of the left channel to the + terminal of the center and the - terminal of the center to the + terminal of the right channel. does this still equal around 6? As I said I just hate to scrap the revel speakers as they sound great. Is there a better way to do what I am trying to accomplish?
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    I would double check the ohms rating for the 5jr's The original published spec for the 5jr's was 4 ohms. Then they added the passive for the 5jr+ and then published 6 ohms. Unless they changed something internally between models I suspect the 6 ohm rating an exaggeration, its probably way under at certain frequencies.

Until you can find out the real specs.............I would NOT treat 5jr+'s as 8 ohms
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    jimmy3323 wrote: »
    My resistance math is rusty! let me make sure I have explained the wiring corectly, The left channel is wired directly to the amp (+ and -) then i wired the + terminal of the left channel to the + terminal of the right channel and the - terminal of the left channel to the - terminal of the right channel. If I am right then this is in parallel, correct? Then i wired the - terminal of the left channel to the + terminal of the center and the - terminal of the center to the + terminal of the right channel. does this still equal around 6? As I said I just hate to scrap the revel speakers as they sound great. Is there a better way to do what I am trying to accomplish?

That is as you stated earlier, and that sits at 6 ohm, but the center is now out of phase.
  • jimmy3323
    Options
    I agree the 5jr+ are not 8 ohms. The numbers above are geared toward my passive Revel LCR8 soundbar. That is what I am wiring in as my center channel and using the polks as left and right channel. My inital posat had the math wring and I was counting he soundbar as 12 ohms and polks as 4 ohms and was curious if that was okay to run those mumbers in the same system. So what do yall think my best suggestion to wire the soundbar in?