Sources / Formats

Options
So I went digital with my music collection a few years ago. Unfortunately I chose poorly with Apple Music. Over the last year I’ve acquired a stereo worthy of a better source: NAD M12, M22, and a pair of 707s.

Basically, I’m starting over building my music collection from scratch. If you were in my shoes, what would you do? In what medium/formats would you invest?

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    What is your source and DAC? Hard to beat tidal lossless for $20 a month. Or just buy used cds and rip them to lossless flax using dbpoweramp or mediamonkey
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • alucididea
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    What is your source and DAC? Hard to beat tidal lossless for $20 a month.
    I have an NAD M12 DAC/PRE.

As for source, I’m just using an Airport Express with Airplay 2 from my phone. I’m debating what kind of source I want to get. Mulling over the Bluesound Node 2i or the BluOS module for the M12 for Tidal Hifi/MQA.

• GospelTruth
    Options
    I back in the early 2000s I ripped all my music to 320kbps mp3. I've since moved to the FLAC format for all my music. It's lossless but compressed. You could also do WAV as it's lossless, but it's also uncompressed and will have bigger files.

Some here might say WAV is better than FLAC, but I honestly can't tell the difference and they are both lossless and should have the same resulting output. Either way, I would go lossless and stick to a format that is not proprietary to a particular company.

I typically just buy the CD, rip it, and put the CD in a box somewhere and listen to the ripped FLAC version from our media server. I have never purchased and will not purchase from the likes of Apple. I might purchase from HDtracks someday (as I believe you can get the flac version of the songs), but at present, I would still rather have the physical media as a backup.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • alucididea
    Options
    I back in the early 2000s I ripped all my music to 320kbps mp3. I've since moved to the FLAC format for all my music. It's lossless but compressed. You could also do WAV as it's lossless, but it's also uncompressed and will have bigger files.

Some here might say WAV is better than FLAC, but I honestly can't tell the difference and they are both lossless and should have the same resulting output. Either way, I would go lossless and stick to a format that is not proprietary to a particular company.

I typically just buy the CD, rip it, and put the CD in a box somewhere and listen to the ripped FLAC version from our media server. I have never purchased and will not purchase from the likes of Apple. I might purchase from HDtracks someday (as I believe you can get the flac version of the songs), but at present, I would still rather have the physical media as a backup.

How do you access your files? Roon or some other software?
  • GospelTruth
    Options
    My files all sit on a Synology NAS. I run PLEX on the NAS and can access it from my iPhone (with the PLEX app) or we utilize Roku players that are hooked up to every TV/System in the house.

I'm sure others can comment on devices they use to play their music that are probably more high end that what I use. At this point in life though, that's where I'm at. I just wanted to make sure I had all my music in a format that was lossless so that someday when I have a better setup, the music will already be in the best format it can be.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    Options
    If I were in your shoes or had to start a music collection all over again? I would just use Tidal and call it a day. Then just buy the albums they don't offer and save the rest of my money for better gear or other projects.

The thought of starting another collection would kill me. I have been building my music collection ever since I was 8 years old. I wouldn't even know where to start. In fact, I wouldn't. I'd do what I just spoke of above.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • alucididea
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If I were in your shoes or had to start a music collection all over again? I would just use Tidal and call it a day. Then just buy the albums they don't offer and save the rest of my money for better gear or other projects.

The thought of starting another collection would kill me. I have been building my music collection ever since I was 8 years old. I wouldn't even know where to start. In fact, I wouldn't. I'd do what I just spoke of above.
    Tom
    Hey Tom,
    Thats probably what I’m going to do. Tidal is definitely calling my name. I guess I’m just trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I’ve used some software here and there and none of it has really gotten me excited to use.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Vinyl
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options

The benefit of HDTracks is you get High Def files. A CD file is 44/16, and while it does sound good, a high def file is usually better. The minimum file rate you get from HDTracks is 44/24, and many are at at higher rates such as 96/24.

Enjoy your files.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • alucididea
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I have tried Tidal on a variety of sources. If you'd like to discuss, feel free to give me a call sometime. Each source changes the experience so there are pro's and con's to every one.
    Hey, thanks Skip. I’d like to hear your highlights, at the very least.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Vinyl

There was a time......not to long ago.......

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    Options
    My opinion, nothing wrong with Apple Music. I gave up Tidal because I hated waiting to stream, long delays, poor network. I can stream 4K content no problems but hires Tidal was slooow.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Vinyl

Dude who are you?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

Agreed
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    Yea I haven’t had trouble streaming tidal at home, work, or in the car in literally years...something else is the problem.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer