The Mule

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
The Mrs and I are off until next year! This has always been a chance to catch up on some movies. Went and saw this one. Very good movie!.

For me, Clint is the complete package, from the early year westerns to his directing skill later in his years. And, of course, his view of our great country!
hp6liyml80xg.png
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited December 2018
    Looks good i will see it over the Xmas break. I have 11 days off as well
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Cool. And, the Mrs loved it too! Score a point for Verb tonight! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    verb wrote: »

Cool. And, the Mrs loved it too! Score a point for Verb tonight! :smile:

Hello?? Get off the forum and score some more. You don't need another 4k posts this year!

And how.....
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Yeah, thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Kinda cool to see his real life Daughter playing the role of his Daughter in the movie.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2018
    Malbec wrote: »
    Yeah, thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Kinda cool to see his real life Daughter playing the role of his Daughter in the movie.

Wait his daughter played his daughter? Gosh how many years of acting school did that take?
    tongue in cheek folks
    Lol
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • pitdogg2
    Gran Torino on a great movie I watch it every time it comes one of my movie channels.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Loved gran Torino @pitdogg2! I use it in one of my courses when we talk about difference views on war and non violence. Many students argue that a person cannot respond nonviolently to violence; it’s just not realistic. The ending leaves them speechless. Many just sit there staring silently in my living room when the lights come up and seriously rethink their views after seeing it. Million dollar baby was also excellent and is a great way to discuss women’s changing roles and of course suicide and euthanasia.

While I personally don’t agree with the man’s politics, I don’t let that distract from the fact that he makes some incredibly thought-provoking, complex and just gripping movies. Nothing but respect for his skills!

With 4 kids I don’t make it to many movies, but I will get this once it’s one blu Ray. No spoilers please!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    Gran Torino one great movie I watch it every time it comes on one of my movie channels.

fixed it dang i was still asleep this morning.... :/

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Loved Gran Torino, could relate to that movie on many levels. Got zero nominations too. Looking forward to seeing the Mule. Clint is what in his mid 80's now ? The man is a genius directing, but choosing women in his private life.....kind of a dope. Still love the guy though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    88 yrs old Tony.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2018
    I saw the beginning of "The Eiger Sanction" last night and I thought about his looks in that compared to his looks in his latest " The Mule" movie. I too wondered how old he is getting. I didn't know he was 88 now.

It's amazing how we can get to mars but can't stop the aging our bodies and faces must take. I still feel every day we wake up is still better than the alternative. :)

Million Dollar Baby WAS a great movie, I agree.

The Man with no name Trilogy is a marathon weekend watch sometimes when it is shown that way. I love the music and facial close-ups in those. The ricocheting bullet sounds too. :D

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    edited December 2018
    At middle age it's a good day if you only wake up with 2 hurts.

At my age it's a good day if you wake up.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Tony M
    I hear ya.

It's like waking up and asking "what doesn't hurt? scenario.
  • tonyb
    edited December 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    The Man with no name Trilogy is a marathon weekend watch sometimes when it is shown that way. I love the music and facial close-ups in those. The ricocheting bullet sounds too. :D

Are you speaking of the old Terrence Hill/Budd Spencer spaghetti westerns ? Those were awesome if some of you are not acquainted with those 2 guys.

Clint has his own "man with no name" mantra in some of his movies, but he isn't the only one.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby were outstanding. I have been a huge fan of Clint for the longest time. Based on what I have seen via the previews...Im really worried this one may suck.
    How many movies and TV shows do we need about drug smuggling and all the associated criminal activity....we get it. Until our country admits we are losing the "drug war" on a daily basis...its all futile.
  • pitdogg2
    no we lost a long time ago.
  • Rooftop69, you hold classes in your home? and I'm not talking about bible study.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Tony M
    tonyb wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »

Are you speaking of the old Terrence Hill/Budd Spencer spaghetti westerns ? Those were awesome if some of you are not acquainted with those 2 guys.

Clint has his own "man with no name" mantra in some of his movies, but he isn't the only one.

I was commenting on this Trilogy.
    20cdar7cftl9.png

I'll have to web search your recommendations.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Rooftop69, you hold classes in your home? and I'm not talking about bible study.

Just once a semester I have a movie night where I cook dinner for the class and screen a movie related to course materials. Then they write a reflection essay tying the movie to course readings and class discussion.

Gran Torino is so great because it relates concretely to war, immigration, the great migration, religious views on violence, race and inner city violence, the vice of anger, neighbor love, and more.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Rooftop69, you hold classes in your home? and I'm not talking about bible study.

Just once a semester I have a movie night where I cook dinner for the class and screen a movie related to course materials. Then they write a reflection essay tying the movie to course readings and class discussion.

Gran Torino is so great because it relates concretely to war, immigration, the great migration, religious views on violence, race and inner city violence, the vice of anger, neighbor love, and more.
    I have a lot of respect for teachers that put forth that extra effort to make learning fun or to come up with a way to make learning easier than just reading out of a text book. It was very easy for me to determine which of my teachers were there to collect a paycheck and which were there because they enjoyed teaching. I was lucky to have a handful of teachers that were true standouts. In college I took a group of classes that were meant to make you a better supervisor in the workplace. I think it was called a certificate in basic supervision. Sounds like something for babysitters. One class was called Production Supervision and the teacher was a lifelong employee at Ford Motor Company before he became a teacher late in life. In every class, after he'd finish teaching out of the book, he's give examples of how that day's lessons were implemented into the way things were done at Ford Motor Company and he'd give examples from his experience there. It made learning so much easier. He even took us on a tour at the plant at the end of the semester, which I missed because I had to work. My college calculus teacher was the same way. He'd give examples of how what we were learning could be used in the real world. I'm still friends with him to this day, although I never seem to find a way to use calculus. We'd always jokingly go back and forth during class...

"You can use this method if you needed to know how much fencing to buy in your backyard."

Me: "Or you could just buy a Land Measuring Wheel"

"What if you don't have the money to buy one?"

Me: "Rent one."
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    College calculus included finding a perimeter??? :p
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    It was Indiana calculus!
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Loved Gran Torino, could relate to that movie on many levels. Got zero nominations too. Looking forward to seeing the Mule. Clint is what in his mid 80's now ? The man is a genius directing, but choosing women in his private life.....kind of a dope. Still love the guy though.

I could relate on so many levels too, one of my favorite movies. If we all had a neighbor like Walt the world would be a much better place.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I need to watch Gran Torino again.
  • tonyb
    charley95 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

I could relate on so many levels too, one of my favorite movies. If we all had a neighbor like Walt the world would be a much better place.

Yep....reminded me so much of myself at times, and other times growing up. That movie covered the gamut, between generations. One of his best efforts in my book.

You had so many messages,

Dealing with grief and past demons

Kids and grandkids who still didn't understand the parents/grandparent

The plight of immigrants

Influence of gangs

Preconceived notions

Love and mentoring

appreciation for hard work, quality work, and American made.

Generosity and helping your neighbor

Standing up to evil where it exists

Sacrifice

The role of Church

To wrap all that in one movie, is genius. Today, we a need a 3 hour movie to deal with just one of those topics.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Saw it, while I thought it was good. There was a couple of plot holes which I thought were pretty glaring.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound