Hook up of sub-woofer question

I have a PSW108 sub-woofer. I'm new to the whole 5.1 surround system thing. I'm confused about why the manual shows for sub-woofer hookup going from one Out terminal on the back of the AV receiver to two In terminals (via Y-split) on the sub-woofer. Why does the sub-woofer have two terminals if it only needs one line out? Currently, since my AV receiver has two sub-woofer Out terminals, I am going from both Out to both the sub-woofer In. Is that wrong? Dangerous? Thanks much for educating me :smile:
----
Dave

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You only need to use one output terminal from the AVR to one input terminal to the sud.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    For Left And Right outputs if you have them. Your AVR should have LFE out your sub should have one of the inputs labled LFE. Use that one, or a wye from one cable. If you want to use both outputs get another sub or wear nomex and keep some halon handy. :#
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Your AVR has an internal splitter so you can connect two subs if you choose. Your sub has two inputs so that you can hook it up to a two channel receiver or intergrated if you choose, one input for each of the left and right speaker outputs.

As others have said, there is no need for two cables. The sub is mono and therefore just sums the two inputs. A splitter would increase the volume by approximately 3 decibels, but the same can be accomplished by simply turning up the volume.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    @rooftop59, my Onkyo has 2 LFE outputs, but they are NOT a split output. Each is controlled separately by the DSP.