Sansui TU-9900 Tuner...good shape! - Sold

starkiller
starkiller Posts: 2,723
edited December 2018 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Decided to sell my new to me Sansui TU-9900 tuner, with factory box and might have the manual. Have had it less than a year but life has conspired me to sell it..some reasons are..

1. My fav radio station sent alternative...

2. Been listening to alot of vinyl at home to know what to keep, what to sell, and what to give away...

3. Had to buy a car for my job as a courier and need to recoup some of the cost..

Tuner is in good/great shape..usual scuffs and stuff but nothing at all bad. Could use a decent cleaning which I have not gotten to. Will be in the original factory box plus probably another one, just to be safe. Tuner works fine with excellent sound, check out the reviews.

Will be posting pics as soon as I remove it from my computer room system.

$300 plus shipping, which is way less than what they are selling for on ebay. Might also include some nice ZU cables for it.

Might be tempted by a trade for a nice moving coil preamp and or a moving coil cartridge...maybe.....possibly...:biggrin:
Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited August 2011
    This is a fantastic tuner, capable of delivering CD quality sound and priced well below it's worth. They sell on the 'gon for 700.00 all day long without the original packaging. Somebody needs to jump on this.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    edited August 2011
    PM sent
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • starkiller
    edited August 2011
    Tuner is pending!
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • starkiller
    edited August 2011
    Tuner is sold! Thanks everyone!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2011
    you're very welcome.:tongue:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • starkiller
    edited August 2011
    Yep, appreciate your input...maybe with the other stuff I have to sell you will be equally enthusiastic:biggrin:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2011
    What's the commission structure look like?:tongue::wink:

• starkiller
    edited August 2011
    Anywhere from 1-5 pats on the back....!!:biggrin:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2011
    See you when I come up to Seattle to collect.

• starkiller
    edited August 2011
    REally? when are you coming up here?
  • Jetmaker737
    edited August 2011
    Starkiller - just want to say that it was nice to meet you today and to say thank you for the killer deal on this sweet tuner! This thing is coming close to the performance of my modded TU-717. Plus it looks awesome. Couldn't be happier!

Jetmaker
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • starkiller
    edited August 2011
    Glad to hear it! No pun intended:tongue: It really is a nice looking unit and the sound was very good. I am looking up the info on that antenna...
  • Jetmaker737
    edited December 2018
    A follow-up on this tuner (no it is not for sale). Got this from Starkiller over 7 years ago. Recently my TU-717 lost a channel so I decided to move this one permanently in it's place. I sent it to Joseph Chow to be modded. Wow! Does it sound sweet now. Weighty, deep, and detailed sound. Love it and it looks soooo good. Thanks again Starkiller, this tuner has a very happy home.

5qg0l358yh40.jpg

List of mods:

Install IEC socket and Hi Q wiring in between
    Replace wiring between the power switch by Hi Q wiring
    Replace 4 Rectifier diodes to Fast Speed Soft Recovery Diodes
    Replace 2 of OP amp to Burr Brown ICs, retrofit and hot wiring
    Replace 10 Power Capacitors to Audio grade power capacitor
    Replace 14 Audio Rail Coupling capacitor , include film type
    Replace internal wiring and skip volume control direct to outputs RCA jacks
    Replace 2 RCA Jacks to High quality Teflon AN RCAs, apply Locktie
    Clean up all the dust throughout whole unit, rinse and lubricated
    Fine Alignments -Sensitivity, T.H.D, Separation, 19kHz Leakage, Meter and Dial Scale calibration
    Replace stock fuse to Audio Horizons Platinum reference fuse
    Retrofit and add on a Post detection filter PCB assembly in place

• nooshinjohn
    I love this tuner, and that McIntosh glow in the display is awesome.

• starkiller
    Wow, very nice!! 7 Years?? Wow, where is the time going??
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Man, that's a beaute, guys.

Which antenna do you use? There are two local public radio stations I like, but they're pretty noisy, so I listen in mono. Be nice to figure something out to clean up the signal.
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Beautiful looking and great performing tuners aren't they. I had a Mike Williams modded TU9900 for many years and I really hated to see it go.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Fantastic tuner, i have a tu719 and love it. One day I'd like to have the 9900 or 919 fully modded, IF radio is still around then. :p
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    @pitdogg2 - Multiverse was listening. :-)
    A TU-9900 just came up near Atlanta. "well cared for and professionally serviced"
    He also has an AU-1100.
    https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/d/sansui-vintage-tuner-tu-9900/6774632166.html
    00t0t_lrg0rl6GVC_1200x900.jpg
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2018
  • pitdogg2
    they are always on eBay....
  • Jetmaker737
    msg wrote: »
    Which antenna do you use? There are two local public radio stations I like, but they're pretty noisy, so I listen in mono. Be nice to figure something out to clean up the signal.

I use a Magnum Dynalab ST-2. Right now it's mounted to the stereo rack so that it reaches almost to the ceiling. Long term plan is to mount it in the attic.
  • msg wrote: »

I use a Magnum Dynalab ST-2. Right now it's mounted to the stereo rack so that it reaches almost to the ceiling. Long term plan is to mount it in the attic.

Ah yes the whip antenna
    I used to sell those. They're pretty good and you can put them just about anywhere. If you have an attic and enough cable to reach, you could probably pick up signals from Mars with this tuner ;):)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    That tuner just gave me a woody this morning. Very nice man, congrats.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable