Monitor 7A PR Replacement?

Options
motorcityguy
motorcityguy Posts: 49
edited December 2018 in Vintage Speakers
I was looking closer at my pair of 7A's, and it occurred to me that the PRs do not have the gray (matte black?) cardboard ring around the mounting flange, like the mid-woofers do. Both speakers are this way. My recollection is that most of the Polks I've seen either have this cardboard ring on ALL of the drivers, or on NONE of the drivers.

Do you think maybe these PRs have been replaced, or just the typical Polk transitional mix and match of parts? Otherwise, the speakers seem very original and unmolested. (I have not pulled a driver to visually check whether crossover is original.)

Btw, these are really early 7A's, with stapled-on serial number tags, and dual (not single) fuses on back. The tag clearly states "7A".
2w780hx1pdaf.jpg

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    You're fine some did then they didn't.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    While you're upgrading the crossovers be sure to check the fuse wiring for corrosion.

z8ldlnunuy9w.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorcityguy
    motorcityguy Posts: 49
    edited December 2018
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    While you're upgrading the crossovers be sure to check the fuse wiring for corrosion.

YIKES!!! I'll have to check that for sure! Mine "sound" fine, and show no EXTERNAL corrosion, but it looks like yours didn't show external corrosion, either. Btw, here's a pic of mine, from the 'outside'.

wd49eaqrlnq1.jpg

• motorcityguy
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You're fine some did then they didn't.

Does it seem reasonable that a pair of 7As would have a PR without the gray cardboard ring, but a pair of 7Bs (see pic) DOES have the gray ring on the PR?

I guess I don't know if they made multiple models (A & B) concurrently. The 7A in question has S/N 04551; the 7B in picture below, with gray ring, has S/N 18015. So it would appear that the 7B was made a fair bit later.

i2mq53v4c3p9.jpg

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    It is normal, I have pairs that came with and without.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    I think both pairs should be rejected and sent to the following address......Very nice. Love the M7.