JBL L890, L880or L830???

CH46ECH46E Posts: 904
edited December 2018 in Speakers
Has anyone here listened to a pair of the JBL L890, L880? Or L830? Would like to know what your impressions were.

I'm really itching to get back into some JBLs.

Thanks
Post edited by CH46E on

Comments

• erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,544
    I had the L150 several years ago. I haven't heard the ones mentioned.
    At axpona i did hear the new L100 at axpona and they were a good sounding speaker.
    Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,
    USB helper: w4s Recovery
    Living Room Teac AI-3000, LSI25, SDA 3.1TL, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11
    Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,669
    Short answer, no, I've heard none of them.
    Longer answer -- you might want to look at this (not to make your life even more complicated! ;) ):

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/jbl-studio-590s-on-sale-today-for-450-each-normally-999.846793/

These, and their smaller siblings, get some pretty good "feedback" from folks.
    (Haven't heard these either, though)

v04j7uvv404h.png
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,452
    Another good thread to watch over on AK...
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/show-us-your-jbls.805120/page-7#post-12222739
    A lot of pictures of JBLs, and often reasons why they prefer them, what they like and don’t like, etc.
    Good luck on your search!
    Micah
    music on vinyl; https://www.discogs.com/user/mlistens03/collection
    Technics SL3200 turntable; Shure M97xE cart; Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2; NAD C352 integrated; KEF Q150 speakers; Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer; home-built stands, generic cables but will upgrade soon...

desktop; Lenovo G50 running Win10, Yamaha RX-v665 AVR, JBL e30 headphones
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • CH46ECH46E Posts: 904
    After much reading and video reviews, I think I'm going to pass on the L series and go for a pair of the Studio 530. Seem little hard to find for sale though.

xwivu0hx6f7y.jpg
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,669
    CH46E wrote: »
    After much reading and video reviews, I think I'm going to pass on the L series and go for a pair of the Studio 530. Seem little hard to find for sale though.

xwivu0hx6f7y.jpg

Periodically, they've been on sale cheap (like half-price cheap); keep an eye out on AK for threads/posts on sales for these.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 7,189
    edited December 2018
    I see you've made up your mind now but thought I'd mention this line which was before what you were looking for I think.

I own these and some other JBLs but these were said to have some world class midrange. They blew a lot of minds with how great they sound. JBL Studio 1230P powered towers.

This whole line got great reviews too. The newer ones in this line came with copper colored cones.
    2ksk5802dde8.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • CH46ECH46E Posts: 904
    edited December 2018
    Nice, I did not in know they made a powered unit in that series.

There is a Sudio series center channel local for $50. If the mid range in this series is good I may have to pick that center up.

kru5l4v7yrob.jpg

I was also looking at a single S38 for a center. I sometimes use the "7 channel stereo" mode so I need a center that can keep up. I think the s38 would fit the bill. I'm not to concerned with the timbre match with the mains. (Polks)

nx7f7buvr0tg.jpg
  • Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 1,949
    Not quite the same thing, but the center looks similar.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/d/surround-speakers-equipment/6765814241.html
    HT - Pio Elite SC-63, RT800i, CS400i center, FXi50 surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500.
    Bedroom - HK AVR 340, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS300 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Ultra+
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 7,189
    edited December 2018
    Those S38s got rave reviews too!

I don't know about the centers. I think I own one...a small one I think.

I ALWAYS wanted a set of them but the prices were always HIGH. I saw some smaller S36s I think they are that were OK in price but I wanted the biggest bookies. I'm still dreaming but the vinyl coverings are starting to delaminate with this series. The prices have got to drop I'm sure!

I'm going to check eBay now. No S38s. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.