7B Grills Needed, and Grill Peg Question

My various Polks have numerous grill styles and methods of grill attachment. The really early speakers use a Velcro-like attachment. Transitional models have what I refer to as a 'jellybean' style of peg. (See photo.) Most of them have the spherical style pegs that like to break. ;-)

I have a pair of early 7B's, that use the jellybean peg. I bought these speakers without any grills. I'd like to find a set, but I am unclear if the peg holes/location are different between the grills using jellybean pegs and those using spherical pegs. Does anyone know? Hate to buy a pair of grills and find out they won't fit. :-(

Also, any chance someone in or near SE Michigan has a pair Polk 7 grills they are willing to part with? I'm happy to get ones that need recovering, if they are priced accordingly. The main thing is to get the correct frames, and avoid any fabrication. Thanks!

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Those are not Monitor 7 grills.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Thanks as always sir for your guidance. I found these:
    k43tdibj3awg.png
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grill-ONLY-for-Polk-Audio-Monitor-7B/302983013575?hash=item468b31e4c7:g:yv8AAOSwQrJbYIGM
    Kinda high price, not the best re-covering job, but looks like the frame is a single piece MDF. Easy to make.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb wrote: »
    Thanks as always sir for your guidance. I found these:

Kinda high price, not the best re-covering job, but looks like the frame is a single piece MDF. Easy to make.

Hey Verb, Thanks. Yeah, I saw that on fleabay, and nearly choked on the price. I agree it's probably not too tough for a guy to make his own MDF frames, if he was handy with wood. Unfortunately, I'm not. No wood skills, and no wood tools. I fix things with wrenches. :-) That's why I'm hoping to find an affordable set of originals that I can recover.

Also, it's not clear to me whether or not the grills are different for the 2 styles of pegs (hole size, hole spacing). Hoping someone will have that knowledge so I can at least recognize which version of the grill is correct for my "jellybean" pegs. Last thing I want to do is end up with a pair that doesn't fit my speakers.

Btw, Verb, that's a nice looking 59 BelAir in your picture!
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I have some you can have. Let me take some pictures and measurements so we will know if they work for you.
  • verb
    I have some you can have. Let me take some pictures and measurements so we will know if they work for you.

Awesome @Conradicles ! You are among the reasons why CP is such a great place! :smile:
  • motorcityguy
    motorcityguy Posts: 49
    edited December 2018

Hey, that's great! Many thanks, in advance! I have sent PM, showing some measurements I've taken on my speakers. Looking forward to your response. Thanks again!

• I have some you can have. Let me take some pictures and measurements so we will know if they work for you.

Conradicles, Please let me know if this offer is still open. I sent PM with my dimensions... Hope you got it. If yours match my dimensions, I'd love to have them. If they are the later style grills that fit on beveled cabinets, they will be a smidge too small and I won't be able to use them. Either way, please let me know. Thanks!!
  • Hi folks. I'm still looking for an affordable set of grills for my Monitor 7s. Would prefer ones with nice original cloth, but I can re-cover them if the price is right.

Mine are the square-edged cabinets (not the later beveled style), and the Polk emblem is on the grill, not on the cabinet edge. Thus, the grill covers the full size of the cabinet: 14.0 wide x 24.0 tall. The center-to-center distance on the peg holes is 10.25 (width) and 20.25 (height).