Mix and match

Hi, I have a 5.1 pioneer home theatre system. Unfortunately, don't have place for rear speakers. But have 2 Polk ceiling speakers at the rear end pre-installed. Any thoughts if front 3.1 and rear ceiling speakers combination work in terms of sorround sound? Newbie to the world of sound.

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    yes the in-ceiling will work just fine
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2018
    My rear speakers are mounted in the rear ceiling corners of my room and sound great. Polk M3's. B)

Ceiling speaker placement, if behind you..( how far are yours behind you? )will serve the same purpose. See if they have directional tweeters in them.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    HT rears should be fine with any decent speakers. Now 5.1 SACD the crowd may differ.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    More than likely, it will be okay. I suspect that stand alone speakers in the rear will be better, but it depends on many factors. Do it and find out.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.