Network help/opinions needed

2»

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Apparently the suggestions I've seen to wire modem->router->switch are well
    advised; I was having some issues with the ethernet the way I had it. The WiFi was fine but not so much the wired parts, so I ran another cable to the router and swapped WAN and LAN, problem solved. I hope.

My 2.4 is called BrownPenguin, the 5 is called BrownPenguin5G-1, is that good enough separation?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Apparently the suggestions I've seen to wire modem->router->switch are well
    advised; I was having some issues with the ethernet the way I had it. The WiFi was fine but not so much the wired parts, so I ran another cable to the router and swapped WAN and LAN, problem solved. I hope.

My 2.4 is called BrownPenguin, the 5 is called BrownPenguin5G-1, is that good enough separation?

Yup, just want a separate ID for each. kind of a pain I know. 5g is a lot faster but the range sucks.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited December 2018
    So after talking to Optimum tech support, I was advised to get a new modem anyway, even though the one I have is pretty recent (I think they knew something was amiss but didn't want to admit it?). Luckily for me they have a walk-in center about a mile from me, so 15 minutes later I was installing the new one. Same make, same model, only this one hasn't had a single issue since swapping it in.
    I think I am done with this, finally; only thing left to do is try the AC1750 again just so I know for sure that wasn't the problem.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/