Parasound P6 VS PS Audio Stellar Gain Pre/DAC

Anyone have either one of these and if so your thoughts?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    I don't have anything meaningful to say, except for that the Parasound is backordered until 12/31. Just FYI if you were thinking about trying to get it before the end of the year.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited December 2018
    Yes. I know and it’s what prompted bringing the PS A into the mix
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Get what you WANT---NOT was is available. That never ends well.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I have a PS Audio Stellar Gain pre/DAC and like it very much. It replaced a Peachtree Audio novaPre hybrid w/DAC for me. I've never played with a Parasound P6...or any of their gear, actually.

It looks like the P6 has more bells and whistles for sure. The Stellar Gain is much simpler.

Of course I can't compare sound qualities between the two, but I can tell you the Stellar Gain has done everything I've asked of it, and it is super quiet. PSA goes into a lot of detail on their website about the Gain Cell technology. I actually bought their S300 class D amp as well.

For DAC purposes, I run a Logitech Squeeze Box Touch with digital coax out into the Stellar Gain's DAC. It has an IS2 input if that is important to you.

For analog, I run an external phono preamp into one of the analog input pairs on the Stellar Gain pre. I see that the P6 has a built-in phono stage.

I've had a few other PSA products, and just seem to like their stuff. Parasound seems to get more love here than PSA, but that's fine. Parasound clearly makes good gear as well.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    Thank You for the feedback
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited December 2018
    I have the PSA Direct Stream DAC as well as the memory player, so more apples to oranges, but, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I'm extremely impressed with them and how they handle their business. Will be purchasing the upcoming streamer when it comes out next year, and, may ultimately move to an all PSA system.

I have no experience with the P6 but did own a 5. Wasn't impressed. The DAC was not good. As a stand alone pre it was decent, but, it didn't make the cut and was quickly sold. True, they have lots of bells and whistles, but, I don't want or need bells and whistles...just need a good piece of gear that sounds good.
  • joecoulson
    Again. Good feedback. I’m slowly thinking the bells and whistles get more attn and I have seen lots of much higher end guys than me going all PSA like yourself. Food for thought. Thank You
  • Clipdat
    Joe, are you open to other preamp suggestions aside from just Parasound or PS Audio?
  • joecoulson
    Others for sure with similar connectivity
  • 2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Clipdat
    Impressive backside.

strprerear.jpg
  • kharp1
    Underwood has the Stellar Gain Cell for $1079 delivered right now. P6 runs $1500. Anthem at $4k is a sizable increase in price. Wonder if it offers 3-4x the sound quality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Underwood has the Stellar Gain Cell for $1079 delivered right now. P6 runs $1500. Anthem at $4k is a sizable increase in price. Wonder if it offers 3-4x the sound quality.

You know how that usually turns out.

Man, for the price of that Anthem, you could get a nice Joule, Vac, VTL and still have change for an amp or nice Dac. Even one of those fancy integrateds like the Mac or Carver, and still have change left for a dac, or a streamer, better cables.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joecoulson
    Kerry how did you know it was that price? Did you call?
  • kharp1
    I get ads from them. Call him and talk to him, he's pretty good to deal with. I'll try and PM you the ad.
  • joecoulson
    That’s cool because their warehouse is across town from me.
  • Clipdat
    tonyb wrote: »

Serious question: How does that usually turn out?

Because my last several experiences have very much been "you get what you pay for".
  • kharp1
    edited December 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »

Because my last several experiences have very much been "you get what you pay for".

There is a point of diminishing returns. If you have the money and want to spend 4x that's a personal thing, one I won't fault a person for, but, when you're moving from one elevated level to the next the returns are harder to justify.

No disrespect to Anthem, I had one of their pre amps, just generalizing.

I do agree that you often get what you pay for, but, again, when you get to a certain level the expectation of quality should be given.
  • joecoulson

Sans the AQ cable..
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    If a $5000 system sounds twice as good as a $2500 system. Will a $10,000 sound twice as good as a $5000 system etc? My guess is once you get to a certain point improvements are less substanial. Will a $100,000 sound as good as a $200,000 system? I doubt I will ever know but I would bet that 200k system would sound damn near as good as a $1,000,000 system.

I have a P5 and it gets its main job done just fine. The DAC and the phono stage leave something to be desired. It looks like Parasound has improved on these aspects in the P6. However if I were moving up I would likely look in another direction sans the extra bells and whistles.
  • joecoulson
    DSkip wrote: »

There is a point of diminishing returns. If you have the money and want to spend 4x that's a personal thing, one I won't fault a person for, but, when you're moving from one elevated level to the next the returns are harder to justify.

I do agree that you often get what you pay for, but, again, when you get to a certain level the expectation of quality should be given.

I actually disagree with diminishing returns. I think as you move up you have bottlenecks that can create said diminishing returns. The reason a $3,000 DAC can perform at the level of a $10,000 DAC boils down to the system it is placed in. It's not really an account of the cheaper unit playing UP to the expensive units level, but the expensive unit being forced to play DOWN to the level of the cheaper unit.

I used to believe in the diminishing returns argument but as I've gone higher and higher my viewpoint has changed.

Hmm. Wondering if the massive amount of coin colors the view...;)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    you could also check out some used Ayre pre-amps they are pretty reasonable used and great pieces.
  • joecoulson
    For sure I’m not rushing into this one. I almost called Underwood today and ordered that one. Gonna see about waiting to do more research
  • joecoulson
    May even go tube pre
  • kharp1
    DSkip wrote: »

I actually disagree with diminishing returns. I think as you move up you have bottlenecks that can create said diminishing returns. The reason a $3,000 DAC can perform at the level of a $10,000 DAC boils down to the system it is placed in. It's not really an account of the cheaper unit playing UP to the expensive units level, but the expensive unit being forced to play DOWN to the level of the cheaper unit.

I used to believe in the diminishing returns argument but as I've gone higher and higher my viewpoint has changed.

Looking for the "you're a moron" button. ;)
  • kharp1
    I figured you'd catch up sooner or later.
  • joecoulson
    Lmao. Was wondering why you were slamming that other thread
  • joecoulson
    Stellar Gain it is. Pick it up Thursday.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    I'm a sucker for a digital volume display! I like it's looks.

GCD-front.png

Backside also looks good:

GCD-Rear.png

Inside looks tidy as well:

20170508_010.jpg

20170508_015.jpg
  • joecoulson
    edited December 2018
    :)

I'll be using the balanced in's and outs also

ins for the CA CXN