Hamilton

Has anyone seen this play? My daughters have been wanting to see this for a couple years now. We were looking to take a weekend trip in January to NYC and were wondering if anyone knows of a good way to get tickets. It's crazy that the "cheap" seats for this production are still over $500 each.

We've been trying the lottery daily, but you have to be ready to go the next day, and odds of scoring tickets that way are, well, like winning the lottery!

I don't know if anyone is from out that way and knows if tickets can be purchased at a discount the day of or closer to the show. IIRC, there is a place in Times Square where they sell discounted tickets for shows daily. Just wondering what our chances would be to get tickets once we're there.

Advice welcome. (I already know that the money could be spent better elsewhere... :p )

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I’ve seen it in Chicago and have tickets to see it in NYC in February with my GF. It’s a fantastic show, can’t really help on how to get cheaper tickets as the show is just too damn popular. The lottery is really the only way to get them cheaper. I think I spent just over a grand for two tickets in the Orchestra
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Do you have to like Hip Hop to enjoy it ? No opinion one way or the other? Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Zach, that sounds about right. Looking at Ticketmaster & Stubhub, the cheapest I'm finding 4 tickets for us is just over 2 grand once all the fees are added on... ouch!

I've heard great things about the show, just have a hard time paying that much for a 3-hour play... For that dough, I could fly the family to London and stay a couple nights in a nice hotel! Might have to consider seeing it in Pittsburgh instead (It'll save us over $800...)
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    edited December 2018
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Do you have to like Hip Hop to enjoy it ? No opinion one way or the other? Good luck. D

You don’t HAVE to like hip hop to enjoy the show, but since it is pretty much 100 percent that genre of music it helps. I don’t think not enjoying that type of music would detract the typical open minded person from enjoying the show. It is very entertaining all the way throughout in my opinion.

Al, we paid something like 250 a ticket to see it in Chicago and it was wonderful, Courtney has seen it in DC at about 650 a ticket and she said both experiences were equally enjoyable, so I am sure it will be wonderful wherever you choose to see it. NYC just obviously adds a little more allure
    Post edited by stangman67 on
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • scubalab
    Yeah, I agree with Zach... although the music is of the hip-hop genre, I'd say you don't necessarily have to like hip-hop to enjoy the show or the music. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a ridiculously talented writer/singer, so I've found some of the music catchy even though I don't consider myself a fan of hip-hop. Check it out if you haven't already - it's actually not bad at all. (I guess the popularity of this production support that too!)

The one nice thing about this play and it's popularity is that both of my daughters have A's in American History without even applying themselves thanks to these songs. They can both recite 80-90%, if not more, of the lyrics (and that's not an exaggeration). Believe me, they sing to me more than they talk to me!
  • I will wait until it comes out on DVD.

Oh wait, wrong thread.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    I hate hip-hop but it's the best show I've ever seen. Good music is good music no matter what genre it is. Seeing it in NYC is on my bucket list.

I saw it twice in Chicago. The first time I think I paid $289 per ticket, but the seats were behind giant speakers and I saw about a third of the show. I attached a picture of my seats. The sound was amazing though. I heard every note the bass played. :)

The second time I paid $450 per ticket for orchestra seats. I went through Stub Hub. It's expensive but I thought it was worth every penny. It actually came through Denver on tour, but unless you got the lottery tickets, it was cheaper to fly to Chicago to see it.

qvg809dj7928.jpeg
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    This will be a billion dollar gross production in time. I hope to catch it someday.

Sounds like a fabulous time, especially in NYC.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2018
    Al,
    It was awesome. It took us weeks to get the tickets (all devices logged in as soon as sales went on multiple times and even entered the lotteries). Lucked out one morning and got 4 tickets together for a little over $1500. Took the wife and kids (14 and 10 year old daughters) to see it at the Kennedy Center earlier this year. I don't like much hip hop and am not a cultured guy who tends to partake in plays (have seen a bunch on Broadway but mostly because I was attending with the wife)...…..but IT WAS AWESOME! Best play I have ever seen hands down and one of the most enjoyable things I have done with the family, especially seeing my kids sing every word of the songs on the way to the play and on the way home. I really had no idea they were that into it - and to be honest it teaches history along the way. If you get the chance (and can afford) DO IT! You will not be disappointed.

My in-laws won the lottery system on the second to last day and enjoyed it as much as we did.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I think it's great they're doing a play about Lewis Hamilton, 5 time F1 champion.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scubalab
    F1nut wrote: »
    I think it's great they're doing a play about Lewis Hamilton, 5 time F1 champion.

Now that would be a cool play... B)
  • scubalab
    @BC6 - $450 for orchestra seats is cheap compared to the prices I'm finding for orchestra. That's about the price of the cheapest mezzanine seats I'm finding.

Shawn - man your situation sounds just like mine - wife and two daughters (15 and 13). Every time I pick my kids up, they connect their phone to the car stereo and sing along to the soundtrack at the top of their lungs. They are both singers and actresses, so taking them to see this will be worth every penny.

Since we didn't take our family vacation this year, all the more reason to make a weekend getaway out of it.