Bought the GF a turntable for Christmad and need some advice

Hi all,

My GF recently bought a few records when we went shopping and has hinted at wanting way to listen to them afternoon I move in a few weeks. So I bought her a Music Hall MMF 2.2 on dew discount from music direct. I plan on picking her up a set of decent powered speakers to make a simple and good sounding setup. I am seeking advice for a basic phono amp (looking to keep it under a hundred). Currently considering this one as a leader Pro-Ject Phono Box MM DC Phonograph Preamplifier,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YEK1AQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WMAdCbMAKF4X0

I don’t need something totally overkill and audiophile, just looking for something cheap and simple and worthwhile of an entry level type turntable
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Craig's list for a cheap silver face Pioneer.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Sorry should have been pretty specific. Looking for something with a small footprint as there already isn’t a lot of room for a turntable

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
  • stangman67
    Yea I saw those and they look quite nice but a bit out of what I want to spend for phone and speakers

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Schiit mani B-stock is $99 + shipping

Very versatile but also easy peasy.

http://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

Art DJ Pre II is ~ $50. It’s actually a nice unit but the bright blue LED on the front is ridiculous and cannot be turned off (unless you unplug the device from power completely).

https://www.amazon.com/ART-DJPREII-Audio-Turntable-Preamplifier-x/dp/B000AJR482/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544403770&sr=8-1&keywords=art+djpre+ii+phono+preamplifier
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I got a Pyle unit for sale soon ;)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Tony M wrote: »
    Craig's list for a cheap silver face Pioneer.

There is sage and cogent good advice here, believe it or not :) Dollar for dollar, a vintage stereo receiver or integrated amp may be the best source of a good phono preamp available! In the 1970s and even into the '80s, phono was the primary hifi source, so the phono preamps were very good (sometimes excellent). A decent quality phono preamp could be yours for $10, 20, 40... maybe even free, if you (the OP, that is) scour CL and Freecycle (or just keep an eye out on the curbside on trash days).

The beauty of this gambit is -- the power amplifier section of the amplifier doesn't even need to work! Only the preamp section. Connect the tt's low level output (i.e., bypass its built in preamp, if it has one!) to the tt inputs of the receiver, set the source to "phono" and take the properly EQd and preamplified phono signal from the TAPE OUT jacks. Feed these into any line level input (including those of a pair of powered loudspeakers) and Bob's your uncle! (which is British for voila!) ;)

PS It doesn't have to be a Pioneer. :)
    There were many good hifi fish in the sea in those halcyon days of yore.
  • stangman67
    edited December 2018
    I do appreciate the opinions. I wish vintage could have been an option, but simply no room or appetite aesthetically for anything like that. I ended up just purchasing a set of Kanto yu4’s from music direct on sale. They have an integrated phono amp which probably isn’t great but they check a lot of boxes, compact, white and have the ability to serve as speakers for the turntable and tv. For courtney, they will be perfect. I’m sure they leave a lot to be desired for us audiophiles but I think she will be very happy and appreciative of both the tt and speakers.

I however do not think she will be happy I blew our pre agreed Christmas budged by twice the agreed amount. Oops

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559