Mark Knopfler's latest effort...anybody get it yet?

"Down the Road Wherever"...gave it a listen last night. Yet another well recorded release and while I still prefer Tracker to this one, it will still get many rotations at our house. More wind instruments in this one that any album he's done(to the best of my memory). I like it when an artist doesn't get stuck on the same road too long.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Got it love it, been in the truck for over a week. I agree another well recorded, offering from Mr Knopfler. I like it the best from all the 2018 releases so far.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Got it a few weeks ago, excellent recording. I love Mark Knopfler and think this album is a good example of why.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Shangri-La is one of my go-to demo albums. Got the new one and still in the break-in period. I usually listen to a new Knopfler album several dozen times before I comment on it. I will say the recording quality is superb as usual.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Has anybody compared any of his albums cd-vs-vinyl?
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I always use his music when selling speakers I do not want anymore. Reference material for the audition. It’s magical.
    Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Listening now and really enjoying. Six cuts in, I think this is one of my favorite of his solo albums - although there are a few I haven't listened to all the way through.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • It's on my favorites list in TIDAL. I like it a lot.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I've got it on order.

Shangri-La is a masterpiece.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Sounds like I've got some listening to do. Honestly, I haven't ventured too far from his work with Dire Straits :( Side two of 'Brothers in Arms' is one of my favorite album sides ever.

This is a cool video of him talking about guitars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    My copy arrived today. Cleaned the first record, go to pull out the second and find a piece of wood inside the sleeve, which has been rubbing on the record......not good! This one is going back.

swnawcc4ik7w.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Good stuff
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited December 2018
    Bummer chunk of wood eh not good. Did you at least listen to the first good one before returning, if so what how did you like it? I got a Todd Rundgren live in Atlanta double LP that had the same LP twice that I had to return.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • dromunds
    F1nut wrote: »
    My copy arrived today. Cleaned the first record, go to pull out the second and find a piece of wood inside the sleeve, which has been rubbing on the record......not good! This one is going back.

swnawcc4ik7w.jpg

Unfrickinbelievable. Send that photo to Knopfler’s peeps and maybe you’ll get a free pair of $200 concert tickets.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Just bought the 2 LP version from Walmart for $18.53 with free 2 day shipping (on orders over $35). Let's hope it doesn't arrive shaped like a taco.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I just ordered Cds of "Shangri La" and "Down the Road Wherever" just now from eBay after the Cowboys / Sea hawks game. Can't wait. :)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    Not that you will see this until I'm let out of polk prison, which I'm in for a completely unjustified reason.

I'm still waiting for the replacement.......ugh.

President of Club Polk

• RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    I just ordered Cds of "Shangri La" and "Down the Road Wherever" just now from eBay after the Cowboys / Sea hawks game. Can't wait.

Ha! I just ordered the same two CD's plus "Tracker" off Amazon Sunday morning after glancing over this topic and got a chance to listen for a couple hours last night.

Something about "Long Cool Girl" from 2015's Tracker had me on repeat several times. My daughter asked me if Dire Straits had a new album, not bad for a 12-year-old.

Always loved DS, glad to get back into a little Mark Knopfler, planning to revisit at elevated volume levels tonight.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• dromunds
    ^^^ Don't overlook Privateering.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2019
    OK. :)B)

2 more to order then. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromunds
    All of Knopfler's solo stuff is good. From his first one "Golden Heart" and even "Notting Hillbillies" and the "Neck to Neck" with Chet Atkins. "Privateering" is a really good album however.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2019
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    Just bought the 2 LP version from Walmart for $18.53 with free 2 day shipping (on orders over $35). Let's hope it doesn't arrive shaped like a taco.

Listening to it now. He has spiced up his usual song recipe with some new sounds including horns. Well recorded. So far I am liking it.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Sonicaly it's a very good recording, as are most of his works. Kill To Get Crimson is also very much worth a listen. Seems to be an overlooked album, but, it's become one of my favorites.
    ml2a1t0x7ndi.jpg
  • muncybob
    Brother in law was over the other weekend, put on Knopfler's newest for listen. He asked if all I play is Knopfler and can I change it.....pissed me off.
  • dromunds
    Hey, I get that about Bob Dylan all the time.
  • F1nut
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Sonicaly it's a very good recording, as are most of his works. Kill To Get Crimson is also very much worth a listen. Seems to be an overlooked album, but, it's become one of my favorites.
    ml2a1t0x7ndi.jpg

Excellent album, in my heavy rotation.

President of Club Polk

• muncybob
    Funny you say that, that's what I put on instead :) Blood on the Tracks SACD....sweet.
  • dromunds
    Did you pick up the latest official Bootleg Series “More Blood More Tracks” yet? It’s basically the NY tapes that preceded the Minneapolis re-recordings that were selected for BOTT. The Bootleg tapes are excellent versions, many songs with just Dylan on guitar, harmonica and maybe a bass player.
  • muncybob
    I'll look into that.

On Tracker, Long Cool Girl and River Towns are my repeats.
  • dromunds
    ^^^ Great cuts! (I like Ruth Moody a lot, and her harmonies with Knopfler are top shelf.) I find with Knopfler's stuff that as I listen to it more, I begin to appreciate some of the songs that I passed on earlier. Same with Dylan's more recent stuff. For instance, I have also always liked "Lights of Taormina" on Tracker but over time I began to also really like "Mighty Man" and "Basil" a lot, and others. I use Shangri-La SACD as a reference CD and same with that: I have always loved "Donegan's Gone" and "Back To Tupelo" and "Our Shangri-La" but after many listens I also become enamored with some other songs that didn't really flip my switch initially. I remember getting Neck to Neck at the close out rack and after one play I put it away for a long time. Finally, I pulled it out again and played it and couldn't believe I didn't really like it right away. BTW, this morning I saw a video for "Romeo and Juliet" that Mark did for a BBC special in 1996. Frickin' breathtaking. See if you can find that, I saw it on FB but they must've pulled it off You Tube.
  • dromunds
    BTW, All The Road Runnning, with Emmylou Harris is also a SUPERB album.