It's Gumbo season! Share your favorite recipes.

I don't know how to cook Gumbo for one so I shall have none, but I can live vicariously. Anyone ever tired gizzards?

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    What no "Gumbo Variations"?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Love me some chicken gizzards, hearts and livers.
    Mmmmgood
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Forget what you heard.......there is no recipe for gumbo. Its more of a way of cooking anything / any critter you happen to buy,shoot, steal or scrape off the road.

There are some basics though. Every gumbo starts with a dark Roux (equal parts flower and oil slowly cooked till very brown). Making a Roux is an art in itself and a major flavor component so google it and go slow. Then you add equal parts chopped onions, bell peppers, celery. I like to have them cut up and ready then add them to your roux to cool it down.

That is the base, then add stock or water. To get it thick and slimy most add Okra but there is a traditional version where it is thickened with gumbo File (ground sassafras leaves). Some also add tomatoes. Then add any cajun season blend (but you must have a few bay leaves). Cook it down for a while and add whatever meat you have. Favorites are seafood like shrimp or crayfish (only add these at the end), sausage (Andouilli or kielbasa), chicken, or any game critter.

Serve it in a bowl with a big scoop of rice and some cornbread with lots of butter as a side. You will also need a bottle of Tabasco and Crystal hot sauce on the table (most Cajuns use Crystal). And some cold beers.

This "recipe" might seem vague but that is how it is with gumbo. There is no right or wrong way to make it. My advice is to read 5-10 recipes and try and get the idea what they are trying to do. Then put away the cookbooks and do it.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    And remember to clean your pots first....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • In KY we refer to it as Burgu. It usually contains deer, rabbit and squirrel, and most all garden vegetables.

Basically a way to clean out the freezer, to make way for the fresh harvest.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.