Add more speakers lose power?

Hey guys my setup is pair of Polk audio rti a7 speakers powered by a Yamaha PC2002M 240 watts per channel and a Yamaha cx2 preamplifier. My dad gave me some Bose Acoustimass 5 series 3 cube speakers not including the subwoofer. 4 cubes in total. So what I decided to do was run some speaker cables from behind the Polk A7s because behind them they have 2 sets of red and white terminals, 1 set is already been used from the speaker to the power amplifier, leaving the other set free to biwire speakers, but I am not biwiring them I think? What I have done is used the other set of remaining terminals on the A7s and plugged in speaker cable and ran them behind my couch where I have floor stands on each side essentially rear left and rear right and I have 2 Bose cubes on each side. My question is if my A7s are 300 watts into 8ohms and the Bose cubes are 135 watts. But the way I have set them up does it mean my polks are losing power because the Bose cubes are taking the power from them theM? Because the way the Bose cubes are connected behind the A7s? Does that make my A7s lose power going down to only 165 watts?What do you guys think of my setup is it worth doing ? Any issues ? Or does it mean if the Bose cubes are using 135 watts from the polks the Polk will just grab more power from the power amplifier to replace power used from polks? So essentially still staying at 300 watts and the Bose cubes 135 watts no power loss in any speaker ?

Cheers
TONY

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    What you've done Is increased the load on the amp... Not a good thing. Plus the cubes are NOT full range and if you push the A7s you'll blow the Bose (not a huge loss though)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    What it means is you are now running the cubes at full range when they are not meant to be ran that way. The bose sub has the crossover to only send the frequencies to the cubes they are meant to handle.
    You'll more than likely cook them.

Do not do that.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    What it means is you are now running the cubes at full range when they are not meant to be ran that way. The bose sub has the crossover to only send the frequencies to the cubes they are meant to handle.
    You'll more than likely cook them.

Do not do that.

This ^^^^^^^

Those cubes do not have a crossover in them like a normal speaker would. Their crossover, as stated, is located in that bose subwoofer. You'll cook them in no time.

Also, those posts on the back of the A7's are not meant to run another speaker from. You should have the straps in there connecting the top and bottom posts. One set runs the lower portion of the A7's, the other set of posts run the higher part of the A7's.

Your idea of how power works is distorted to say the least. Pay no attention to those "recommended watts" on the back of the speakers. Please read up a bit on how power works in relation to speakers. You can even do a search here, as we've covered this more times than any of us care to admit.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daoki
    daoki Posts: 32
    Will I cook my amp? But am I also losing power from the main speakers A7s? Or more power is just being drawn out from the amp to cover the A7s because the cubes are demanding the power that they need? I’m just curious if this will effect the sound quality coming from the A7s having the cubes connected. Thanks guys
  • tonyb
    Yes to all of that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    giphy.gif
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    You really should read up on some basic electrical theory... Currently the assumptions and statements you are making are distorted to say the least.

For the time being, leave the A7s alone and do not connect the cubes.
  • The Bose cube sats sound best if they aren't used at all. If you really want a decent set of speakers for surround maybe someone on this forum has some they would sell for a bargain?
  • pitdogg2
    The Bose cube sats sound best if they aren't used at all. If you really want a decent set of speakers for surround maybe someone on this forum has some they would sell for a bargain?

they are not going to be surrounds at all coming off the front L/R speakers
  • Wow, what a mess.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The Bose cube sats sound best if they aren't used at all. If you really want a decent set of speakers for surround maybe someone on this forum has some they would sell for a bargain?

they are not going to be surrounds at all coming off the front L/R speakers

D'oh! Missed that. He needs a new AV too.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Wow what a total mess,

So if I read this correctly the OP hooked up the cubes directly to the main RTi-A7 speakers and not the AMP.

This over a period will cook the AVR/amp and may cause damage to all the speakers. How much is adding them like this going to add or subtract from the ohm load?

Best thing to do with them cubes is to make flower pots out of them
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • pitdogg2
    I have no idea what the cube ohm load is so that would be a mystery as to the final load I'd think. But once they go FUBAR all bets are off things might go whiskey tango quick :D:D
  • daoki
    Hey guys. Yes I knew this was going to make people go I’m hard on me and laugh away bear in mind I’m really new to all this lol. The cube load is 4 - 8 ohms. So what should I do? Someone else in another forum suggested wiring them parallel? Is that true or his he talking crap to try and screw me over ? If I didn’t want to get a receiver is there a way to hook up 2 sets of speakers to 1 power amplifier ? I have seen a lot of YouTube videos explaining. Let’s say if it wasn’t th cubes but separate bookshelf speakers ?

https://geoffthegreygeek.com/how-to-wire-four-hifi-speakers/

Cheers for all the tips and advice so far guys much appreciated.

Tony
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2018
    Let me make this as clear as possible.

FORGET YOU EVER HAD THE IDEA

You CANNOT use those cubes with any other system because their crossover is in what Bose calls a sub, which it isn't. You will fry the cubes if you try to use them in any of the ways you purpose.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daoki
    Hey guys. If I was to get rid of the cubes and invest in some decent bookshelfs do you think it could be possible to hook up the A7s into speaker A of the power amp and the bookshelfs into speaker B of the power amp and then obviously switch on a+b from the front to produce sound out of all speakers. Is this a safer way of doing things you think? Surely it must be a more protective way if I was to set up 2 sets of speakers without a receiver and straight to amplifier ? I’m assuming my power amplifier would be able to handle this ? Other wise the power amplifier itself wouldn’t have the switch set if outputs speaker A and Speaker B?
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    That amp does NOT have speaker A & B outputs. The channel A & B you see simply mean right & left.

That amp can drive 2 speakers. Nothing more. Period
  • pitdogg2
    Notice the speaker outputs reference 8-16 ohm load. It is not rated for 4ohm at all. It is a pro amp so it can use different connections one or the other not both or 2 sets of speakers. No matter how you come up with the question the answer from us will remain the same. Either get another multichannel amp or receiver that has pre-outs and run one set off the amp and the other off 2 channels of the receiver. forget using just the cubes alone we have told you multiple times they are not made to run without the sub in play.
    I do not know what you're trying to accomplish here you have a nice set of speakers in the Polks and you're trying to use the Bose at the same time just what are you trying to accomplish with this arrangement of speakers?
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Get rid of the Bose altogether. K.I.S.S comes to mind here. Keep it simple, just run 2 channel and be happy or sell most of your gear and buy a integrated receiver or HT preamp with a multi channel amp. I know it can be overwhelming but there are 100s of years of combined knowledge here.
  • tonyb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Notice the speaker outputs reference 8-16 ohm load. It is not rated for 4ohm at all. It is a pro amp so it can use different connections one or the other not both or 2 sets of speakers. No matter how you come up with the question the answer from us will remain the same. Either get another multichannel amp or receiver that has pre-outs and run one set off the amp and the other off 2 channels of the receiver. forget using just the cubes alone we have told you multiple times they are not made to run without the sub in play.
    I do not know what you're trying to accomplish here you have a nice set of speakers in the Polks and you're trying to use the Bose at the same time just what are you trying to accomplish with this arrangement of speakers?

This ^^^

No matter how you slice it up, with the gear you have, forget about the Bose, and forget about adding any other speaker. You want to change the gear, then we can talk about that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Bose cubes are some of the worst sounding audio over priced audio equipment I've heard.

One speaker per out put on the amp. don't try putting speaker of any type in a series. That is just asking for problems. Reason for dual sets of binding post on a speaker is for bi-amping which also is not recommended.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • I've said this before I used to install both the Bose Lifestyle systems and their 3 room amplifier systems. As an alarm installer the boss saw more money and this was when the building boom was full tilt 80s/90s. People bought these things like there was no tomorrow. Sound wise it was audiophile nothing and great for room background music. Even the Life Style family room H/T were very bland and not impressive to us but hey money was the name. You have been warned about 17 times what your doing is wrong and your looking for damage to happen. Ditch the Bose cubes and leave the Polks alone and either biwire them or strap them after ditching the cubes..
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc