Polk Audio SDA 2B Warped grill

Hey, I have a set of 2B's that have slightly warped grills. I have read here and other places about getting them slightly moist/wet/damp and applying pressure evenly across until dry. Any other comments? Has anyone else done this? Anyone with success with Polk grills have a step by step ? Thank you.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Certainly worth a try. But as has been mentioned before, the frame material is difficult to fix, unlike real wood which has more predictable characteristics.

In my experience, when trying this method to straighten out wood panels, after moistening, I clamp them "beyond flat" (slightly warp in the opposite direction), so when it dries and "springs back" to hopefully to a flat position. Needless to say, trial and error.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I know what works for wood, but not entirely sure about MDF. I do know it'll swell if it gets too wet. That said, I'd spritz it on both sides, then clamp or weight it between two sheets of 3/4 ply just big enough to cover the entire frame. Let it dry at least a few days in a warm place before taking it out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    You could always route out a groove on the inner edge and secure an aluminum angle iron along the inner edge, this would straighten it out, just paint the aluminum black before mounting. May have to replace the grill cloth at the same time
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    May well try the first two then if that does not work check back about the third idea. I feel like there should be a way to do this. Its all in my head right now so I will check back with results if I go ahead and go thru with it. Thanks.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    VR3 wrote: »
    just paint the aluminum black before mounting.

I see a problem...

• VSAT88
    A problem like where to get the black paint ?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    May have to go to a dark dark gray
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    VR3 wrote: »
    just paint the aluminum black before mounting.

I see a problem...

But didn’t they find the Titanic a while back? Have the begun the process of removing whatever is left? :)
  • VSAT88
    Wonder how many know what we are talking about here ? Wonder how many even care. :'(
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    Wonder how many know what we are talking about here ? Wonder how many even care. :'(

Oh yea only the toes knows.....
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I never had any problem with the grills, but the side panels on mine warped. After that they never fit on the sides.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VSAT88
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    VSAT88 wrote: »

Oh yea only the toes knows.....

I resemble that remark.
  • VSAT88
    edited December 2018
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I never had any problem with the grills, but the side panels on mine warped. After that they never fit on the sides.

These were warped and falling off when I got them as well. New glue after scraping the old off as well as I could then solid plywood on the sides laying down with huge concrete blocks in the sun for a good long time seems to have fixed that right up. That was after the black spray paint. No crap, I did use spray paint on them and let them dry down really good before the re glue and pressing. They look great. Keep in mind that I paid 80.00 for these and they were in rough shape when I got them. They were my first set of Polk SDA speakers.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I think I have a pair of nice grills if you’re interested send me a PM to discuss