I can now re foam surrounds

Options
I have these Advent Maestros that one was starting to rot and the other had a hole in it. I bought the kit through Rick Cobb's E-Bay store and away I went. Ripping away all the old surround and glue. I used acetone for that and then emery cloth to clean the basket rims. I let them dry for 24hrs and viola I can pound on these speakers Pix you say. 1 one will show a patch job from behind w/ paper towel and glue which worked great but was very hard to the touch so I ditched that for the full monty 250r6e28f7rv.jpg
5f16eyidp36v.jpg
nfcy9t2ujv1e.jpg
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Did you rip it?
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Very nice. Always the satisfaction knowing that you did it yourself.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I've throw so many bad woofers away BEFORE I could afford to spend extra on surrounds and still recoup the money back maybe. I threw away my original ESS AMT1b woofers in the trash can. All they needed was new foam! :s

The pair that made me try to re-foam my fist set were Very rare Infinity's that have beautiful cabinets and grills and were only sold through this one audio store in California.

I've now gotten pretty good.

I use Simply Speakers kits I believe.

I'm antsy to do those advents I have stored this winter. I don't think my big set has that cool midrange. I have 2 pr. to do.

I'll bet those sound great! B)

Great job too! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Speaking of a cool mid driver? what the heck is this doughnut looking thing and how does it work ??? Anybody please I haven't the slightest idea what it does internally ...Lew---Oh thanks for the attempt on the re foam and not making a complete mess of things. I spoke to Dave last year after his health issues and he said he's only doing x-overs and not taking in any more spkrs.

Price between Rick Cobb @$16 a set w/ shipping to Simply Speakers @$25 w/ free shipping most over on AK said to go w/Cobb's stuff for exactly the same amount of cash. Besides the actual surround kits I just needed a can of acetone which I didn't use all that much.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Oh sh#t, Ivan yes I did what seems like a very common but stupid mistake. I used a DeWalt drill to remove the plastic beauty ring and it slipped on the last screw and I holed the surround. This lead to the rear patch job and the ultimate decision to re foam both spkrs because while the left side looked ok it was starting rot/flake from age,

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I thought maybe it was a learning lesson ;) manual is where its at Lew for just that reason they can get away quick like.

Nice job on the foam we all start somewhere and learn valuable lessons along the way.
    My thought was it tore when peeling off old gasket that happens as well. Old paper can get brittle around the glue edge as well.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Looking good @leftwinger57 ! Another set of nice speakers saved from the trash! Well done sir!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Hey thanks to all. Now, I broke 2 of the most golden rules of audio. Never work on live gear ( I blew a 7amp spkr rail fuse in my Adcom. #2 If using a drill laydown the spkr for much better control or just use a freaking screw driver. All is well w/ the world now and w/ more experience and really some patience I can do surrounds. Boards and x-overs I'll leave for Dave or if he's swamped go w/ VR3....Lew

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    Speaking of a cool mid driver? what the heck is this doughnut looking thing and how does it work ???...

d9xw9fridr92.png
    reference: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/identifying-your-advent-loudspeakers.126376/

I think it's essentially just a cone/dome hybrid design.