Things that go up in smoke

Options
OleBoot
OleBoot Posts: 2,122
edited November 2018 in The Clubhouse
So I was going through my email archives earlier (I hoard those as much as I hoard everything else), looking for any contact details I could find for an old friend I have lost touch with and found this:

Thank you for your order!
Sound4Sale.com!
Order Number: 68
Placed: 01/25/2001 at 22:29:07 CDT

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea Total
132KLDIII Link DAC III with factory installed Upsampling Upgrade 1 $538.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: Free Shipping (Fed-EX 3Day Select) USA and Canada only: $0.00
Total: $538.00

I'd pretty much forgotten I ever owned this, but I remember now that this was a revelation at the time and could do 192/24 upsampling, WHOA. So one night I'm playing tunes on the system in the living room, next to the kitchen where I'm cooking my junk dinner in the microwave (wifey was away on business in Washington DC five days a week at the time or I would have made a better effort) and realized the stereo sounded a little funny, Went into the living room, and it was full of smoke - really full, and thick - emanating from the MSB DAC. Couldn't hardly even see the turntable that was above it in the rack.

Any body else got any go up in smoke tales?

Comments

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Yes, but it's more of an organic nature.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Had a used riding mower that commuted suicide, after 3 years. Difference was flames covering it from front bumper to the seat. Lot of smoke on that when the tires air escaped causing a pretty big flare up. Smelled pretty bad too..
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Knock on wood only one audio related item here. With no sign of a problem I once had an Adcom 555 II send out 9 volts dc on one side which quickly destroyed a vintage Infinity woofer. Thankfully it happened right in front of me or there more than likely would've been a fire to accompany that smoked voice coil
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Testing the limits of a GW find subwoofer, I began to cook the coil. no smoke, but I could certainly smell it. Turned it back down, still worked fine. It was an old Velodyne, ended up giving it away.
  • OleBoot
    Options
    Yes, but it's more of an organic nature.

And, at that time in my life, the organic smoke may have contributed to my not noticing the electronic smoke earlier than I did.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    9nd9st7jkrio.gif
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • OleBoot
    Options
    9nd9st7jkrio.gif

So, @motorhead43026 , which one are you? I think I'm more of a Cheech.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Definitely Chong, I have spent way to many brain cells in my 66 years. But my real hero is in my avatar. I studied under him in 69, the late great Timothy Leary.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• OleBoot
    Options
    Definitely Chong, I have spent way to many brain cells in my 66 years. But my real hero is in my avatar. I studied under him in 69, the late great Timothy Leary.

Simply WOW - you knew a legend.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I didn't know him personally, I was a follower and attended his seminars on more than one occasion. You know what those lead to. He, as well as the whole scene definitely filled a void in this young mans life. I can definitely say this experience had a positive effect on my success later in life.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »

You name dropper you. :D

That wasn't all he dropped.....
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Speaking of up in smoke, I think this thread has done exactly that. :p

Back to topic, I had a set of LSI-15's that I connected to a Sunfire Signature 600/2, that doubled down to 1200wpc @4 ohms. I set the volume level as loud as it would go and set about doing work around the house. It was nice to hear music above the noise of the lawnmower....

I went inside to find the speakers still blaring away as smoke was being puffed out of the power ports, on both top and bottom. The smoke detector was blaring away in the kitchen, and yet the speakers still played through and the amp was still cool to the touch.

Polk generously replaced the melted crossovers for free, even though it was clearly abuse on my part. The drivers were not damaged whatsoever.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • OleBoot
    Options

and set about doing work around the house. It was nice to hear music above the noise of the lawnmower....

Mowing the shag pile?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Early Phase Linear power amplifiers were notorious for sometimes going up in smoke. B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    My money....always going up in a puff of smoke.....gone. As it turns out, I find that it's much easier to get rid of it, than to earn it.

A/V gear....never fried anything. A man's got to know his limitations.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Had a cathode bypass capacitor blow up on the "Simple 2A3" amp one evening. It was kind of dramatic, and there was a release of smoke -- plus that beguiling aroma of electrolytic capacitor innards. :/

26118877818_739b94e698_h.jpgDSC_0485 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

35011906962_64b4e0d2ff_b.jpgSimple 2A3 after the fire 08Jun17 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The immolated electrolytic is the one with the yellow circle around it. The eagle-eyed can see that the left side of the cap is kinda popped. :/

Easily repaired, fortunately.

The bypass caps were right adjacent to their cathode resistors and may well have failed from heat. I replaced 'em both with (cheap) 105 degree capacitors, and moved
    them a bit away from the resistors. Someday, when I get up sufficient gumption, I will replace the cheap-o electrolytics in there now with a nice pair of film capacitors. The only
    problem being the huge size of the latter :p

... but I digress...

:|

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    So I was compelled to add my fairly recent story with the now infamous Monoprice amplifier. My very first foray into tube amplifiers! With, well, mixed results. Excerpt below, as the final replacement (#4) had eventually landed in Professor @mhardy6647 house! :smile:
    qj4ev0egkkt8.png

mhyy3ih97h86.png

Link to the thread. All 14 pages of it! :smile:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/181379/karma-monoprice-fabulousness/p1

Come to think of it, all must be well with that amp, as I have not seen an recent update (in this thread) :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    I used to fall asleep with the music playing. Until . . .

About three decades ago when I was living in my parents basement, which just happened to be beneath their bedroom. Poor logistics I know, but I made it work and had a lot of fun down there

I can’t describe it other than being awakened by a loud noise and the smell of the “smoked” speaker (it even says smoked on the receipt below, lol) from the local audio store.
    I don’t recall any overcurrent protection device is blowing, which would’ve been nice.

Turns out my mom would get thirsty in the middle of the night and not want to get up and go to the kitchen. So she would put a glass of water on the nightstand and one night the glass got tipped over and water trickle down into my Adcom 555-II.
    Other than that, I never had any issues with the Adcom or the 2B Studios

1xiccforjvwt.jpeg

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12