Sansui TU-9500 recap

Still got your tuners handy? I've a couple and this one tops them all. 1970's era. It's a fairly easy recap but these boards aren't very heavy and it's easy to delaminate a run with too much heat. Only had a few scares but nothing serious.

Ready to go.
77i56usavsdq.jpg

A bit dusty. Every board has a cover that's grounded. I don't think there is any plastic in the chassis anywhere.
cp2e19znigdi.jpg

Covers off - board reveal.
6v63y48419g9.jpg

recapped board - Nichicon Muse or FG caps used.
3latdcxhqnzz.jpg

recapped PS.
gv0noej3f12w.jpg

Done - covers going on.
0mi5zmkwj6qd.jpg

Board covers dusted and mounted.
4tlp0d3j17pc.jpg

Back in it's home. It's got bass...never thought I'd hear bass from a tuner!
hp2kdy11w102.jpg

The jar is getting fuller.
ba0genrh64u8.jpg

Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    edited November 2018
    Well Aaron i have a Sansui TU-719 I've wanted to do for a few years. Them suckers have like 9 miles of string :D:D
    Nice job I have come to really like the Sansui tuners. I have had my fair share of older Yamaha and newer. Carver TX 11b was a good tuner but my Sansui TU-719 ran circles around it in both sound and ability to reach out and grab stuff clearly.
    Once again very nice.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    The issue with touching tuners is ruining the alignment.
    Not many out there with that skillset anymore.
    I guess you are fortunate that it stayed on track.
    Me touching a tuner=mess. Thats why I just stick with old
    integrated amps.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    edited November 2018
    The Sansui line of tuners is highly regarded. The x17 and x19 line are both very good. Someday I'd like to get my hands on something 517, 717 or 919. If you want the top 'o the line find a TU-X1.

If you're into tuners the Tuner Information Center web site is probably the defacto authority on these things.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/sansui.html

If you're careful and don't go past your skill level you can easily recap most equipment. Tuners can go sideways on you but just go easy and watch what you're doing.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • pitdogg2
    The only other site i belong to.
    fmtunerinfo.com
    Excellent folks there
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,005
    I have a TU-9900 currently in the hands of Joseph Chow for complete set of mods and service. Can't wait to get it back.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • pitdogg2
    Ooooo those are sweeeeeeet
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 477
    Nice repair you should get many more years out of it! Inheriting my Dad’s Sansui got me rooted in audio. It was sad to see it broken so I repaired it.

8kg1fpzny1mn.jpeg
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • ALL212
    Last time I looked the pic didnt show - that was a lot of work! Nice job. Breaking the bigger ones free of the glue is an interesting venture...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 477
    edited November 2018
    Glue on mine was brittle. I was already deep into fixing the DC protection issue and decided to go all out. Think it was $260 in parts from mouser.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • ALL212
    I think that series are some of the coolest looking amps ever done regardless of brand.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    FWIW, a few, lesser Sansui pieces lurking here.

16832987226_f01b68f88a_h.jpgDSC_0328 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    9956280994_06968a5389_h.jpgSansui 5000A front by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    16013656423_954fc057b1_b.jpgSansuiTA500f by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Also a TU-717 which didn't really light my fire in terms of audio quality.

9608219010_0b55424a64_b.jpgDSC_6978 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,587
    Can you do an Onkyo Integra A-8250 next and then sell it to me?
  • ALL212
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Can you do an Onkyo Integra A-8250 next and then sell it to me?

How long do you want to wait and how much up front cash you got? >:)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    I recapped a 3900- can’t see model on the pic but either that or 4900. Not a lot of power but a nice sound.

717 is supposed to be at least in the court of the king tuners. Never had one. Maybe it needed a rebuild?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • @ALL212 I’ve seen just about every Sansui you mentioned for sale on eBay very recently. Including a mint Japan 100 volt TU-X1, which I currently have on my watch list.
  • https://youtu.be/8pwvtqo5Hwg

This is a YouTube video that one previous auction for this tuner had a link to.
    UIt's a two parter.
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2018
    Carlton while those are excellent tuners and I'd love to have one, they are a status piece plain and simple. There's just not enough quality radio stations anymore to justify a 25-3000.00 tuner. Yes this is my biased opinion. The TU-919 or the 9900 are my top end even if I fell into a billon dollar powerball winning ticket. The day's of yesterday radio that actually put out a good quality full bodied signal are no longer in my area at all. They have all been swallowed up by large corporate radio that compressess the snot out of the signal now. 20 yrs ago about everybody actually made a dedicated FM long range antenna. The dedicated FM antennas now are a far cry from quality booms and elements made by the likes APS. Anybody even remember the APS 13 and the smaller attic friendly APS 9. Those had great range and side rejection of multipath signals. Heck Channel Master hasn't even made the deep fringe antenna i had for at least 18-20 yrs. The multiple use antennas UHF/VHF/AM/FM never were liked by the true radio crowd but mine on a 40 aerial with a quality rotor did a darn fine job for my use. Some nights while DX'ing with my Sansui TU-719 I could pick up stuff from Europe and from all educated guesses south of the equator.

Oh well enough ramblings
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Sansui, like most other vintage pieces of that era, will all need some work done to bring them back to life. If you have a vintage tuner and it isn't ticking your fancy, chances are it needs some work done. Sound quality takes a nose dive as the decades march on.

Ivan, I hear ya on the antenna thing. Was looking last year to cut the cable cord and go over the air, but finding a good long range antenna isn't easy these days. Ones with great reviews anyway.

Any suggestions ? Maybe PM me that answer so we don't derail the mans Sansui thread.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    edited November 2018
    @tonyb There are still store-bought options for FM Yagis (albeit not world-class ones, any more), and rotors are still available (plus, there are those of us who have... spares). There are more or less straightforward DIY options, too.

You're right, though, "we" don't need to pollute this thread which is more about Sansuis and/or capacitors than the vicissitudes of frequency modulation. ;)

So... Why don't we start an FM thread?! :)
    I mean, heck, if freaking cassettes can mount a comeback, why couldn't FM?!?

Srsly, I'm up for it.
    No static at all, you know?

https://youtu.be/HV3zWSawJiw
  • ALL212
    tonyb wrote: »
    Sansui, like most other vintage pieces of that era, will all need some work done to bring them back to life. If you have a vintage tuner and it isn't ticking your fancy, chances are it needs some work done. Sound quality takes a nose dive as the decades march on.

Ivan, I hear ya on the antenna thing. Was looking last year to cut the cable cord and go over the air, but finding a good long range antenna isn't easy these days. Ones with great reviews anyway.

Any suggestions ? Maybe PM me that answer so we don't derail the mans Sansui thread.

Derail away!

Tuners are no good without a good antenna
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • I'm still using my two Radio Shack Archer FM Stereo supreme antennas that I bought more than thirty years ago to pull in HDRadio now!
    I agree radio sound quality ain't what it used to be back in the days when I used to love to DX. I kinda reached the end with my last Carver TX-11a when I realized no one was broadcasting AM stereo anymore. I wanted to get a TX-11b, but didn't see the point.
    Does anyone remember the natural atmospheric phenomenon which happens only a couple of times a year where something changes in the ionosphere and causes radio signals to bounce back down instead of traveling through?
    It would allow you to pick up FM signals hundreds of miles away, but only once or twice a year though.
  • pitdogg2
    I'm still using my two Radio Shack Archer FM Stereo supreme antennas that I bought more than thirty years ago to pull in HDRadio now!
    I agree radio sound quality ain't what it used to be back in the days when I used to love to DX. I kinda reached the end with my last Carver TX-11a when I realized no one was broadcasting AM stereo anymore. I wanted to get a TX-11b, but didn't see the point.
    Does anyone remember the natural atmospheric phenomenon which happens only a couple of times a year where something changes in the ionosphere and causes radio signals to bounce back down instead of traveling through?
    It would allow you to pick up FM signals hundreds of miles away, but only once or twice a year though.

What you are referring to is when highly energized particles is the ionosphere allowing station signals to bounce or skip off them. Now shortwave radio signals do it all the time regardless of most weather conditions, but some conditions are much more favorable.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,046
    ^^^
    this

Depending on the time of year, the ionization layer, & the sunspot level you can get F2 skip of over 2000 miles. Most often it's sporadic E skip between 600-1200 miles.

Bunch of interesting info here.
    http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm still using my two Radio Shack Archer FM Stereo supreme antennas that I bought more than thirty years ago to pull in HDRadio now!

What you are referring to is when highly energized particles is the ionosphere allowing station signals to bounce or skip off them. Now shortwave radio signals do it all the time regardless of most weather conditions, but some conditions are much more favorable.

On the west coast the same effect during the height of the aurora borealis---sometimes you can hear "come in Tokyo"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,005
    Those of you considering a vintage tuner should be aware of the IBOC issue:

http://www.ham-radio.com/k6sti/hdrsn.htm

Joseph Chow has designed an IBOC filter for my TU-9900. Some tuners already can filter it out. Coincidence of their design. Scroll to bottom of the linked article for a list of such tuners.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette