Need advice and help with using a power amp to drive Polk RTi A7s please

Options
daoki
daoki Posts: 32
edited November 2018 in Speakers
Hey guys I’m fairly new to the audio game and only became part of the Polk club less then a fortnight ago. I picked up some Polk rti a7s they are rated at 20 - 300 watts at 8ohms. I was told that I would need a big fat juicy amp to drive these things. I am currently using a Denon 2801 receiver at 90 watts per channel, but I have come across a Denon Power amplifier which is the Denon POA 2800 at 200 watts per channel at 8ohms and 400 watts 4 ohms I’m pretty sure. I was just wondering guys because I’m just starting off into the audio world is this a good combination to drive my speakers for now? Just really want to hear what my speakers are capable of because I feel as if they are only operating at 30% performance wise now with the Denon 2801 90 watts receiver no where near what they are capable of sounding like. I really like the Denon POA 2800 and it’s specs one mainly cause it was produced in Japan around their golden years I read some where and also someone else told me that when looking for a preamp and power amplifier keeping them the same brand just works well together as a combo???. So should I jump on the POA 2800 guys for now until later on once I become more familiar with the audio world and upgrade later on? I have read a lot of good reviews from people that have owned the POA 2800s and that they just do make them like they used to know more. What do you think guys? The specs of the POA are listed below.

Thanks guys

Tony

High End Denon power amplifier

High End Denon Power amplifier model POA-2800 Made in Japan

Very good condition and Amazing sound(warm open sound and strong power out put)

This unit build in very big transformer and 4 big caps 18.000Mf each caps

200 watts pre channel for 8 ohm or 350 per channel for 4 ohm

Dimension W- 430 D- 410 H-190 18Kg

Everything working in good condition slight scratches
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• codycatalist
    Options
    I haven’t had ears on that amp but Denon made good separates. I wouldn’t see an issue, how much are they looking to get for the amp?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    It's like déjà vu all over again.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    That amp would work fine, but....pay no attention to those recommended watts. Your not just using 30% of the speaker by feeding it the 90 watts from the receiver. Before you buy the amp, make sure that receiver has front left and right preouts. Then you'll need 2 RCA cables of decent quality also to hook it up.

Good luck to you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daoki
    daoki Posts: 32
    Options
    Hahah F1nut. Yeah I know sorry mate lol couldn’t help it but the advice helps big or small. Codycatalist yeah I just bought them off eBay for $560 Australia which works out to be $400 US. Can’t wait to pick them up this Friday after work. :smile:. The Denon POA 2800 was so hard to find anyone else here in Australia selling the same model. There wer a lot of listings in the USA eBay any where from $350 - $1000 but I mean once I add shipping costs and import taxes I would of been paying way too much for it. So I’m pretty stoked I could snap this up while I had the chance. Also yeah the denon 2801 90watts receiver I am using does have preouts left and right red and white ports so it should be able to hook up the power amplifier. Can’t wait to use put these two together on Friday I will let you guys know how everything goes once up and running. Thanks guys for the help and advice much appreciated