Looking for some Jazz

Hello,

I'm a 70's 80' rock guy. I have been on a quest for some soft relaxing jazz to change it up a bit.

I have tried Pandora, I find a good track and buy the CD the to find that was the only good song on the darn thing.

I'm not looking to become a jazz nut but just a few relaxing CD's where I can pop it in sit back and relax. Ken Burns "the War" had some nice soft background jazz in it. Looking for that type.

Thanks
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited November 2018
  • Chet Baker is a good choice for smooth jazz. Trumpet player/singer that is underrated in many circles. For female smooth jazz vocals, I would suggest Diana Krall.

For instrumental, Yellowjackets, Jeff Lorber, Pat Metheny, Bob James, Wayman Tisdale, Mindi Abair, Candy Dulfer would all be good choices.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    This may sound silly, but try this.
    Radio station out of Toronto (CJRT) streams.
    https://jazz.fm

They have a show every evening M-F, from 6pm -9pm called "Dinner Jazz"
    They can get interestingly eclectic in addition to the standards we all know.

Give it a listen for a few shows & share what you like/don't like.
    We'll be able to offer more detailed suggestions.

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Thank you Dennis,

Yellowjackets is a little more upbeat than what I'm look for. Diana Krall, now that is almost the sweet spot.

Something a little more Piano based that will also highlight my system.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Look into Chris Botti for some mellow instrumental. I saw him a few years back at Red Rocks opening for Diana Krall.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Wes Montgomery is one to not pass up.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Dave Brubeck
    And a great relax and chill album from him is “Brubeck After Dark”
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Spyro Gyra and also The Rippingtons. Thank me later.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited November 2018
    Given Diana Krall is in the sweet spot, and much of her material is reinterpreted from the earlier work of others, it may help to look at where she got inspiration from. That is traditional American pop and jazz tunes. Ella Fitzgerald’s extensive work would be a place to look. Chet Baker is an excellent recommendation. He doesn’t get the credit he deserves because of his later personal problems killing his career.

Diana Krall also has quite a bit of bossa nova influence in her music, so that would be another place to look. Artists like Antonio Carlos Jobim and Lee Ritenour.
  • Brian Culbertson and his line up are amazing. Went to see AWB years ago only to find they were the opener for Brian and 2minites into Brian's set it made sense and I am a huge AWB fan. Brian is just at a whole level up and so smooth. Give him a listen . I have him in rotation as a fave.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Look into Chris Botti for some mellow instrumental. I saw him a few years back at Red Rocks opening for Diana Krall.

That must have been a pretty special concert.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Thank God no-one recommended Kenny G.
  • mrloren
    charley95 wrote: »
    Thank God no-one recommended Kenny G.

Very true....
  • Chris Botti was great, Billy Tilson on drums. The sad part was a steady cold misting rain set in at the intermission that cut Diana Krall short. She was about 5 months pregnant with her twins and you could tell that she was miserable. We had tickets 3rd row center so we were really bummed at how it turned out. She performed less than an hour....

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    here are a couple of favs:
    Grant Green 'Idle Moments' (but not every song is what you seek)
    Erroll Garner 'Concert by the Sea'
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Try these...

Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit
    Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love
    Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    edited November 2018
    + 1 on the Peyroux!
    If you go bloozy Jazz singers it opens up vein of good stuff.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2018
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Very good recommendations so far. Try something by Patricia Barber. Too many great jazz artists to list all. Let us know what you're liking, we'll suggest more.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @mrloren "Ken Burns "the War" Do you mean Big Bands?
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    For "smooth", "relaxed", "piano based", and accessible (my suggested criterion), I'd try:

Bill Evans, "Sunday at Village Vanguard", "Waltz for Debby"
    George Winston, "Autumn"
    Vince Guaraldi, any
    Guaraldi & Bola Sete, "Vince & Bola", "From All Sides"
    Red Garland "Groovy"
    Dave Brubeck, "Paper Moon"
    Chris Thile & Brad Mehldau, eponymous, very different bluegrass/piano jazz
    Keith Jarrett, "Koln Concert"
    Oscar Peterson, "We Get Requests" (thanks, marvda!)
    Norah Jones, any
    Getz/Gilberto, eponymous, smoldering bossa nova classic
    Joe Sample, "Carmel"
    Ramsey Lewis, "The In Crowd", or the funkier "Sun Goddess"
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I didn't notice mrloren's second post specifying piano jazz. IMO Bill Evans is number one, should be at least in everyone's top three. Also other well-known jazz pianists, in no particular order: Ahmad Jamal, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Art Tatum and Thelonious Monk. vcwatkins has the other greats listed above.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2018
    I agree 100% Per @vcwatkins;
    George Winston, "Autumn"

And other Winston albums. Tons of Piano playing music!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mrloren
    Thanks guys for the reply. I will be listening for weeks now :)

What a great forum, I just wanted to step out of my normal zone and now I've jumped out. This can be a good thing
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Don't discount Latin jazz. Listen to "Friday Night in San Francisco" with John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Paco Delucia I (IIRC). One of (if not the) greatest live acoustic recording ever.

Then listen to Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy.

Then listen to anything by the first three musicians. I have a feeling you will like them.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    The late Hiram Bullock.

Saw him live many times ... He was the guitar player on the old David Letterman show band.

Lots of stuff and tubes to listen to and watch....

Another favorite... Cab Calloway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svoSSdsNhtA
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Another example of brazilian jazz...Ricardo Silveira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmlL-MVh-g