Looking to add a cheap AMP to drive my bi-amp Polk RTi12's

Options
Wantabe_Audiophile
edited November 2018 in Speakers
I am a novice for sure but, I had this thought and wanted to run it by those with much more experience than myself.

What I purchased a cheap amp such as a Crown XLS 1500 to drive just the qty:3 7" drivers in each RTi 12 speaker?

Thought: I could bi-amp the front left and right speakers and push clean audio straight from the Denon X4400H to the remaining speakers in the RTi 12's, qty:2 5" mids and qty:1 1" tweeter.

2 Questions:
1. Would this work? (will the bi-amp setting work like I think it might, for this puprpose?)
a.) use the front L,R pre-amp out to an amplifier to feed the 7" drivers
b.) use the height channels in bi-amp mode to feed 5" mids and 1" tweeters
3. Would this be a cheap option to drive the total of 6, 7" drivers in the RTi's, and yet still give me quality sound, assuming you agree that the Denon is capable of producing quality sound ;)

I have spent more than I wanted to on updating my theater room already so I am looking to spend as little as possible.

Yes, I have read many threads and understand that there are better amplifiers for home theater and a difference between pro and HT amplifiers.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I wouldn't mess with "Bi-Amp". I tried it and didn't like the sound. Better to replace the brass jumpers with speaker wire.

With RTi look for a good used B&K or Parasound. Outlaw and Emotiva are other options. I did use a 1st gen XPA5 on my old RTi 8 for a weekend. sounded a lot better than the Sony ES AVR.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Options
    I am a novice for sure but, I had this thought and wanted to run it by those with much more experience than myself.

What I purchased a cheap amp such as a Crown XLS 1500 to drive just the qty:3 7" drivers in each RTi 12 speaker?

Thought: I could bi-amp the front left and right speakers and push clean audio straight from the Denon X4400H to the remaining speakers in the RTi 12's, qty:2 5" mids and qty:1 1" tweeter.

2 Questions:
    1. Would this work? (will the bi-amp setting work like I think it might, for this puprpose?)
    a.) use the front L,R pre-amp out to an amplifier to feed the 7" drivers
    b.) use the height channels in bi-amp mode to feed 5" mids and 1" tweeters
    3. Would this be a cheap option to drive the total of 6, 7" drivers in the RTi's, and yet still give me quality sound, assuming you agree that the Denon is capable of producing quality sound ;)

I have spent more than I wanted to on updating my theater room already so I am looking to spend as little as possible.

Yes, I have read many threads and understand that there are better amplifiers for home theater and a difference between pro and HT amplifiers.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

As the best boss I ever had would often say:
    Begin with the end in mind.
    What is your goal (i.e., why do you want to do this)?

Doing biamping right is a fairly sophisticated and demanding task, I would opine. I also can't imagine going to the trouble of biamping without investing in very high quality amplifiers for both bass and treble. I'd also think very hard about going to active crossovers (analog or, nowadays, digital -- since there are very capable and relatively inexpensive DSPs readily available) were I considering biamplification.

Full disclosure - I am indeed considering biamplification, with active XOs, but in a very different application than the OP's.

24051079897_08b38e885e_k.jpgDSC_9984 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • rburgess714
    Options
    I echo what Mrloren said. Find a used B&K or Parasound, your ears will thank you.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I have a 150 wpc Audiosource amp laying around. $150.00.Torodial trans. Bridgeable too.
  • Update:
    I messed around with a second receiver today to see if the concept would even work. My fear was that once I connected to the front L/R pre-amp that the height connections used when bi-amp is set would also go dead. I am happy to report that they did not.

I was able to still get sound from the top end of the speaker via the Denon receiver and drive the qty:6 7” speakers between the front L/R speakers through the pre-amp out to a second receiver. It did get me better bass results and push the speakers harder with matched volume. I didn’t appreciate the D amplifier as much as I remember but it prove that it would work.

Thanks for the responses!

Cheers!!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Will the crown amp work ? Yes....but the real more important question is...will it sound good. My opinion....no, it wont.

It will but more emphasis on the glaring highs, probably closer to ice picks in your ears. Hey, some like that type of sound though, not me. If you do, rock it then, but I'd shoot for a B&k amp or Parasound to offset the brightness of those speakers some.

Just nabbed a B&k Ref 4420 myself, local for 4 bones.....so they are well within a budget minded dude's wallet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I'm at a loss for words.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm at a loss for words.

Hold on....gotta mark my calendar. Last time that happened, Columbus dropped anchor on dry land. :D:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I'm at a loss for words.

I’m worried.

You feeling alright?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    I'm at a loss for words.

Did you step into the sunshine?
  • Responses are consistent...
    Buy a proper used amp if budget constrained. Buying used electronics always scares me, maybe because I have never had to, still don't but, forcing myself to be more cost conscious.

I will be on the lookout for a good USED 2 or 3 channel amplifier.

I am thinking a minimum of 200wpc for the RTi12's. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    WPC + Current is what to look for. Other note, your AVR weighs 25lb. All that stuffed in that box has to do a lot more than just power speakers. Now an Emotiva BasX=A300 weighs 25lb with the only goal of powering speakers.

If you don't like buying used, look at outlaw and Emotiva
    https://emotiva.com/collections/amps.
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/

Before I got my XPA3 I was looking at the Model 5000 from outlaw.

Marantz also make a budget friendly amp https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-MM7025-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003R7KMSS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1541955902&sr=8-2&keywords=MARANTZ+MM7055
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music