Amazon fire 2nd gen with optical

I was looking at getting another amazon fire tv. To my disappointment, they dropped the optical output. Or I don’t see one that has optical out anymore. In the living room, I not only use it for movies, but I use Tidal on the fire, optical out to my pioneer sc27 dac. It actually sounds quite good. It looks like they only have the fire cube and fire stick now, so disappointing to me. I understand most will use hdmi to a sound bar or something along those lines but, this thing can be used for audio with good results.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    There are some HDMI to HDMI + SPDIF extractor boxes for around $20 on Amazon. I don’t have one though, since I have always used the HDMI connection to receivers and have the receiver handle the digital to analog.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited November 2018
    I have one I am about to sell. Pm me if ur interested.

Only the 1st gens has optical out FYI, which is what I have...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Emlyn wrote: »
    There are some HDMI to HDMI + SPDIF extractor boxes for around $20 on Amazon. I don’t have one though, since I have always used the HDMI connection to receivers and have the receiver handle the digital to analog.

I have used a few of those and they are a bit "iffy", often requiring a disconnection to re-establish an HDMI handshake.