Adding a Subwoofer to a 2 channel Stereo Receiver

Options
I have an older Onkyo TX-8511 2 channel stereo receiver that does not have a subwoofer output. Can I use an Aux output of the receiver to the Aux In on the subwoofer using a pair of RCA cables?. I do not want to use the speaker wire inputs since I bi-amplify my speakers. I am looking at the PSW108 subwoofer. The guys in the store says that this will not work, but I am wondering why you would label the inputs as Line in if they do not work as line in inputs.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    How are you bi-amping while using that Onkyo?
  • RockinBob
    Options
    My speakers have two sets of inputs. I use both Speaker A & B outputs and 4 sets of speaker wires. So if I was to use the speaker wire connections on the preamp, I would use either the A set of wires or the B set of wires.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that isn't bi-amping.

Getting back to your original question, in my opinion the best course of action would be to upgrade from that old Onkyo and move into an integrated amplifier with a subwoofer pre out.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    You are most definitely not bi-amping, you are bi-wiring, which is rather pointless. Simply replace the stock jumpers with short pieces of whatever speaker cable you're using and be happy.

Use the speaker level inputs on the sub, your receiver won't even know the sub is there.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk