Need Help Choosing a New TV

scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
edited November 2018 in The Clubhouse
Our home theater is our main TV room and as such, we put a lot of hours on the projector lamp fast. We currently have an Epson Powerlite 8350 PJ. Although We've gotten the most hours out of the current lamp, it is time to replace it again. AT $300 each time we replace it, were thinking of biting the bullet and going to a flat screen TV.

Our current setup is a 92" fixed frame 16:9 screen and it's tight. I'm also thinking going from the PJ and screen to an actual TV would make viewing possible without having to dim or completely shut off the lights. Is there any reason why anyone would recommend against going from a PJ to a TV?

Can anyone recommend a good flat screen in the 75"-85" range that won't completely break the bank? Would like to go 4k, but do not need a "smart" TV.

Hoping with Black Friday looming, prices will come down. My first search turned up the Samsung UN82NU8000 around $2600. Is this a good option? Thinking holiday sales should make something 80+ inches in the $2000 ballpark a reality.

Open to suggestions.

Comments

• So here are my thoughts and I'm sure a lot of people won't agree.

For the price, I would go with a 75" Vizio P-Series. The list price is $1999 for the 75", but you'll get a better price at Costco. For Black Friday it might even be cheaper at Costco. Buy a membership if you don't have one and it will pay off. You will get 2 years on the warranty and if you have a Costco Credit card (VISA) for the purchase they will extend it to 4 years. If you don't like the TV, bring it back within 90 days for a full refund. You can also request a full refund for your Costco membership if you got one just for the TV. There is no downside to purchasing from Costco in my opinion.

I have 4 Vizio TVs and have never had an issue with one of them. One is 9 years old and still looks great.

We purchased the P-Series last year and I really like it. 4k, HDR10 and Dolby Vision Support. We paid $1199 for a 65" set.

Now, will it compete with the top of the line Sony, LG and Samsung? Probably not in all categories. But for the price vs. performance I think it's a win. Like I said, if you end up not liking it, you have 90 days to return it - no questions asked. Heck, even if you don't go with Vizio, purchase through Costco just for the 90 day return policy and extra warranty.

Ratings:
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2018
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I'll agree with the Vizio P and M series being fantastic bangs for the buck.

Just with any TV, be sure to have it calibrated after some burn in.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Thoughts on the newish QLED tech? My son picked up a 75" Samsung yesterday at Costco for under $2k. I saw them in the store and the picture was really nice.
  • I have a Samsung 4K and to be honest the picture could be better, it is good but the blacks are as dark as they could be. From my viewing and opinion I feel Sony has one of the best pictures I have seen. LG is amazing too but I have had MULTIPLE issues with reliability on their models so I stay away.

Either way go with something that has HDR, it makes a huge difference.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    With Black Friday coming up one thing to keep in mind. The low end tvs are the ones that are normally on sale. There are some exceptions, but I wouldn’t count on it.

That said, I agree with the Vizio P-series, but you also said that this was more of a home theater room. If you have a lot of seating off axis, greater than 20 degrees, you may want to look at tvs with IPS screens. These would be LG, and the Sony 850 series.

The down side of IPS screens is they don’t get as black as VA screens when viewed directly in front of screen. Most will appear as dark or darker than your projector, Black levels are a major factor in reviews, and this is a big reason few if any give them great ratings. The casual to average viewer probably wouldn’t even notice the lack of black levels.

In 75 inch sizes the Sony 850 series is $2300, and is worth the extra cost compared to the LG SK8000 series at $2000. I would suggest one of these, unless everybody is within 20 degrees of center when viewing. Then I would go with the Vizio
    P-series.

Samsung, in general, I really have mixed feelings about. Just personal bias here, and many will probably disagree, but I would go with Sony, LG, or Vizio before Samsung.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Thanks for the input so far. This is exactly the kind of information I’m looking for.

We currently have two Sony 40” LCD TVs (guest BR and bar), a 42” Panasonic Plasma (master BR), a 27” Vizio LCD (kitchen), and a 42” Samsung plasma (currently not being used) that our neighbor gave to us when she moved. I have nothing bad (experience wise) to say about any of these brands.

Our theater is 20’ deep and slightly less than 10’ wide, so viewing angle is fairly straight on. I’m not opposed to going down to 75” from the 92” screen it it means better quality. We don’t have a Costco anywhere near us (think the nearest one is over 3 hours away), but we do have a Sam’s Club.

I’ll have to look into the Vizio P series and the Sony 850 series.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Qled or oled is best for viewing angle as an extra FYI. Love some Sony and agree 75 is really all you need unless your 15-20ft away
    I wish I had gotten the Oled now but I’m still happy.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I have a Samsung 4K and to be honest the picture could be better, it is good but the blacks are as dark as they could be. From my viewing and opinion I feel Sony has one of the best pictures I have seen. LG is amazing too but I have had MULTIPLE issues with reliability on their models so I stay away.

Unfortunately, you can't always just reference brands and not models. There are significant differences between Samsung's lower end UHD sets and the QLED models. LG OLED models are really nice and I haven't heard of any reliability issues. Their lower end models, on the other hand...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sony for the win, anything from the 850 series on up. QLED if you can afford it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited November 2018
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I have a Samsung 4K and to be honest the picture could be better, it is good but the blacks are as dark as they could be. From my viewing and opinion I feel Sony has one of the best pictures I have seen. LG is amazing too but I have had MULTIPLE issues with reliability on their models so I stay away.

Unfortunately, you can't always just reference brands and not models. There are significant differences between Samsung's lower end UHD sets and the QLED models. LG OLED models are really nice and I haven't heard of any reliability issues. Their lower end models, on the other hand...

I mean you can make generalizations in certain cases. If Sony's lower end models look better than the mid models of Samsung the generalization fits. Of course there will always be flagship models that have the best of the best but certain companies have better tech in general. Also it is just an opinion which I am entitled to and what the OP was looking for so it is to be taken with a grain of salt.

For reference the Samsung I was talking about was the Samsung UN55KU6500. Bought in late 2016.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Just like Tony, I'll take just about any Sony for the win! Their screens are second to none.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I’ve got a Sony x930 65”. I went through pretty much every tv when I purchased mine, it was between the Sony’s and the Vizio p series, the new p series quantum is a great looking tv.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    I’d add that I love my x930e and am glad I made the decision, it’s a fantastic tv

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    The x940e 75” is a great set and is on sale for 2799 at Best Buy right now. I almost wish I had sprung for that tv when I bought my 930

• mdaudioguy

I mean you can make generalizations in certain cases. If Sony's lower end models look better than the mid models of Samsung the generalization fits. Of course there will always be flagship models that have the best of the best but certain companies have better tech in general. Also it is just an opinion which I am entitled to and what the OP was looking for so it is to be taken with a grain of salt.

For reference the Samsung I was talking about was the Samsung UN55KU6500. Bought in late 2016.
    Of course! You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't deny anyone that. I didn't mean to imply it either.

I don't own a Samsung, but I've seen A LOT of them. You're right that the picture could be better, and there are a few examples of that higher up the Samsung line. The 6000 series is from their standard UHD line. Then there's the premium line... much better. And then the 4K QLED... even better. Oh, and now 8K!?!?!
  • mdaudioguy wrote: »

Of course! You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't deny anyone that. I didn't mean to imply it either.

I don't own a Samsung, but I've seen A LOT of them. You're right that the picture could be better, and there are a few examples of that higher up the Samsung line. The 6000 series is from their standard UHD line. Then there's the premium line... much better. And then the 4K QLED... even better. Oh, and now 8K!?!?!

Man at this rate we will never be able to keep up. I actually have two Samsung 4k sets at my place (One is being held for a family member that moved), the curved isn't bad and works great in my living room and the curve keeps glare to a minimum. The flat screen (a year newer but don't know the model number) looks much better but nothing compared to what I have seen Sony and LG put out (albeit they could have been higher end models, I just pass by).

I mean I do enjoy my TV but I have seen and heard Sony being the better choice screen wise.

• mdaudioguy
    Lots of Sony fans here. They make a nice TV, no doubt. Personally, I'm hooked on LG's OLED models. My standard line is this - pick out a nice TV at the store based on the best within your budget (whatever you think the best is) in comparison with other TVs on display. Take it home and compare it ONLY to the other TVs in your room! Then, enjoy some good shows, sports, movies, or whatever you're into. :)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks for starting this thread @scubalab ! I too am in the market for a new TV in the basement. The Mrs said I could get one last year but too many other projects were a higher priority. Now that the kitchen remodel is near complete, time to upgrade the man cave! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • stangman67
    Oled TVs are great if you have light control in your room and you get a good panel. I bought two 65” LG OLEDs last year and they both had problems out of the box that were unacceptable. Unsure if the qa has been better on the 2018 models but dirty screen effect on light colors is a common issue on a large percentage of oled models

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I believe the QLEDS have addressed that issue from last generation OLEDS. The newer Qleds have about the best picture I've ever seen. They also hit that middle ground between Oleds being a bit dark, and LED'S being a bit too bright. Keep that in mind and the room you plan on using which technology in.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    65" or larger. Go big or go home.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    3 Sonys in the house, I'm a Sony fan have never had issues with any of the Sonys I have owned.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have two Sony; a 65” in an 8x10 room, and a 75” in a 10x12 room. That is the bare minimum for those rooms.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have two Sony; a 65” in an 8x10 room, and a 75” in a 10x12 room. That is the bare minimum for those rooms.

Mini movie theaters!!!