Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 99 CD player in Verb's House

Options
verb
verb Posts: 10,176
edited November 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
So I'm continuing to build the rig in the spare bedroom upstairs. Currently have a Dayens Ampino with a Project Box E for BT streaming, but wanted to add a CD player.

The aspect of a tube CD Player intrigued me, and recently found a smoking deal on this little beauty.

Originally a ordinary Marantz CD-38, the mod adds a twin-triode 6922-based tube output stage with its own power supply (50VA toroidal transformer).

This guy was further upgraded (from the original Njoe Tjoeb op-amp) with a Burson Audio V5i Dual op-amp.

2 additonal 6DJ8 Amperex tubes also included. Butt Ugly NOS tubes circa 1962.

Stock pic's:
99z0472hcsja.png
u7jj598fennc.png

What fun! My kids who come to visit better appreciate it! :smile:
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• verb
    Options
    My unit. Opened the hood. Looks clean. Spinning Alan Parsons - Turn of a Friendly Card!
    3iudbor6kp5u.jpeg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,596
    Options
    Give it a go hooked up to your main rig too just for fun! ;)
  • verb
    Options
    I will! That’ll be a nice A/B comparison with the CD6006. Man this is fun!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Interested to hear your thoughts.
  • printboy
    Options
    Hey Verb

Just surfing thru posts and saw your Tjoeb 99 player. Hey I sold that to you and hope you are really enjoying it. I had fun owning it. Glad it found a good home.

I originally got it from a guy for not much who didnt know that it was a modded player. I really didnt know much about the player when I bought it...but looked cool and I had great fun researching and learning about the history of the player, tubes and op-amps... I added the Burson opamp, the Butt Ugly tubes, found a remote for it , and manual to complete the package before I sold it. Love to have and find all that stuff for equipment I buy and for the next owner as well.

Speaking of CD players just scored a really clean Cambridge 540C Azur CD player for $15. The unit powered up but the cd tray wouldnt open. So I took a chance hoping it was a worn belt. Problem was not only a worn belt but also the tray didnt fully engage the transport gear fully. Not in sync with the laser assembly either. Took me five hours or so to figure this out and how to fix it. But it was great fun doing. Plus someone not the guy who sold it to me put two small piece of plastic stuck to tape inside the player which I eventually realized belong to the cd tray. One a small pin that fit in a hole on the transport that engaged a rocker switch when the tray closed. I dont know what this rocker switch was for but I believe it was crucial part for the tray to operate.

The open and close button doesnt work 100% of the time every time and I have to push stop button twice mostly to open and close the tray and sometimes cant stop playing a cd. But all the other buttons work. I think the logic board or whatever its called for the button controls may need some looking at. Thats out of my league. One day I will have a tech give it a tune-up. But the player sounds great. God knows how long it has sat unused as the guy I bought it from got it from an estate sale. .

Have fun rolling different tubes and op-amps in the Tjoeb. Half the fun of owning the player.
    Realistic SA-1500 integrated amplifier fully restored by Chris Ready
    Realistic TM-1000 Tuner
    Realistic 31-2000 Equalizer restored
    Cambridge Azur 540C CD player
    HRT iStreamer
    Polk Audio Monitor 4A ClarityCap PX by westmassguy
    Polk Audio S4 ClarityCap PX by westmassguy
    Polk Audio S6 ClarityCap CSA
    Polk Audio Series II Monitor 5JR+ stock at the moment