DOCSIS 3.1/Gigabit cable internet

This is how the cable companies are competing with the fiber optic providers for gigabit speed internet in the home. Is it available in your town/on your street? (*just because it's available in your area doesn't mean you can get it at your house*) Which provider in your area is offering it and for how much?
RCN is offering it here in Washington,D.C. for $69.99 plus modem rental. It went active this past November before anyone had any DOCSIS 3.1 modems for sale. As of this writing (*January 25th 2017 2:00pm*) there is one available from Netgear-the CM 1000- With the Arris SB 8200 on pre order.

Comments

• RCN doesn't have data caps (*neither does Verizon FiOS*) Comcast also doesn't have the data caps everywhere,but they are expanding them. When last I checked it wasn't here in D.C.
    I was ready to take the leap and get the gig speed with RCN,but at the time two months ago no one was selling a DOCSIS 3.1 modem AND RCN requires you to rent their modem (*I'm allergic to renting cable company equipment*) I'm currently using an Arris SB6190-which is the first modem capable of 1 gig speeds,but only with DOCSIS 3.0. Then there was the silly fact that the upload speed is ONLY 20mbps!! I'll check with them to see if and when they change that rental requirement as more DOCSIS 3.1 modems come to market later this year. Linksys and Motorola are supposed to be bringing some out later this year.
    Right now I have the next step down at 330 MBPS speed.
    I checked to see if the one gig speed was available from Comcast here and it isn't yet. Only the fiber optic two gig speeds. The difference between Comcast and Verizon FiOS is that you have to pay Comcast $500 to install everything.
    You also want to remember that even though Comcast is HUGE,they ain't everywhere.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    I've got 1Gbps symmetrical, no data cap AT&T Gigapower. Cox has Gigablast in the area too. I average 850-900 Mbps speed tests. It's $100/month. This area doesn't do gigabit DOCSIS for some reason. Maybe one day. I also have Cox 150/10Mbps as failover / load balancing.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Unbelievable! And here I remember when going from dial up to dsl was an upgrade. It was faster and it freed up the landline to lol. The best our cable offers now is 120mb and I'm on the much slower 60mb which isn't too bad.
  • nguyendot
    Edmond, Oklahoma. North suburb of Oklahoma City. We were one of the potential cities for Google Fiber until they shut that project down in September. If my home business takes off we'll be getting both AT&T + Cox fiber run for 2Gbps symmetrical.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Good old Cox has put in the fiber backbone for gigablast in our area of Chula Vista last year. We received a notice last Sept, that it would be ready in Nov Dec time frame. They even offered some sweet package deals for like $159 a month with TV and phone. But now nothing, every time I call I get the run around. Good thing about Cox is they took off the caps or raised them to 10TB a month. Last month on the Cox meter we used 750GB. That is with my son out of school for a few week and he streams everything.

The DOCSIS 3.1 modems have 32 downstream but only 8 upstream channels. This would maybe get 80Mbs up but 1000Mbs down. I would like full Gigablast 1000Mbs up and down.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Cablelabs the DOCSIS proprietors are working on some sort of extension to the DOCSIS 3.1 standard that will allow symetrical up and down speeds. The 32 channels down and 8 up is part of the DOCSIS 3.0 standard. Gigabit speeds are possible with DOCSIS 3.0,but apparently it would be too expensive for the providers to do it,hence DOCSIS 3.1.
    Verizon FiOS is rolling out 750 mbps symetrical speeds in a few places.
  • mrloren
    hmm, interesting

Cox was big on the Gigablast world coming out and then it seems to have stopped. I know to get Gigablast Cox run a fiber cable to the home to a fiber gigabit modem. Maybe that is too costly, now the are going to switch to DOCSIS 3.1 over coax cable. Would explain why they stopped the push for the Gigablast.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • nguyendot
    Gigablast is in full swing here. It's primary focus is actually high density where it's cost effective to do - like new apartment complexes with hundreds of units. At $99/unit/month they can swing a 100Gbps connection to the node and split it up. It just goes into a fiber unit then into their proprietary gateway. The gateway is authentication for the data and serves as the video gateway too. The downside to this is you cannot do a true bridge mode with their modems.
    Main Surround -

• Fiber is far more expensive to run than cable. It IS,however the BEST way to get internet and TV to the home though. Most cable companies realize that and are trying to go ahead with DOCSIS 3.1.There are plenty of exceptions to the rule though.Altice,which is a European company that bought Cablevision and Suddenlink is going to run fiber to the home (FTTH or FTTP) just like they do in Europe.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I have a 1Tb cap on Comcast. Of course you can pay $50 a month to remove that cap. The only people that are going to be hitting that are the HD video streaming households that don't have cable... looks like they're trying to recoup lost cable dollars. There's no other high speed service available to me other than 1.5mbps DSL which doesn't cut it today.

I can't wait for the day that someone can figure out how to get wireless high speed Internet everywhere. The cable companies are going to soil their drawers and it will be glorious. I hate Comcast.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Hey @Nightfall
    Where do you live?
  • @motorstereo
    I was on dialup when I got my first computer (2004) and discovered USRobotics was making dialup modems that use your caller ID and call waiting to alert you to an incoming phone call. Then it gave you the option of temoparily suspending the internet usage for a short period while you took the call. I still have that modem in my computer. Problem is when I upgraded to a 64 bit operating system the caller ID function no longer worked. There never have been any driver upgrades to make it work with 64 bit because it's old tech and not a priority.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Hey
    Where do you live?

Colorado
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I have a 1Tb cap on Comcast. Of course you can pay $50 a month to remove that cap. The only people that are going to be hitting that are the HD video streaming households that don't have cable... looks like they're trying to recoup lost cable dollars. There's no other high speed service available to me other than 1.5mbps DSL which doesn't cut it today.

I can't wait for the day that someone can figure out how to get wireless high speed Internet everywhere. The cable companies are going to soil their drawers and it will be glorious. I hate Comcast.

You and me both. Comcast is a necessary evil, and they know it. For me, my choices are Comcast and ATT&T. With att&t now swallowing up direct tv, your internet is sat. based and slower.

With more people streaming content, the prices are going north at a good clip. Just 8 years ago I was paying 39 bucks for the top internet service, now it's 100. What's it going to be in another 8 years ? 200 ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nguyendot
    Eh, AT&T doesn't even offer sat based internet out here.
    It's all ADSL or fiber.
    Main Surround -

• mrloren
    Now I am just waiting to see what happens in Chula Vista. Fiber has been run to all the street boxes, they did that last summer. AT&T, Google and Cox last year were all talking about gigabit coming to our area. Now it's been a lot of nothing the last few months. Maybe DOCSIS3.1 will make it so Cox can under cut the other two.

For me it's just a wait and see.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    I FINALLY got my hands on the Arris Surfboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 modem! Using with with my RCN 330 meg internet service. :)
  • honestaquarian
    Anyone wanna buy one of my old modems?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    nguyendot wrote: »
    Eh, AT&T doesn't even offer sat based internet out here.
    It's all ADSL or fiber.

Why would you want a Sat based internet, it's slower.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • honestaquarian
    Still waiting to see if I can get FiOS in my building............................
  • @pitdogg2 This is where we should be having the FiOS discussion. I finally got it on January 21st this year the day before my birthday and have been VERY happy with it.