Cambridge CXC Transport

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
Ok so I've been intrigued by the concept of a CD Transport & DAC being separate components. Prior to joining this forum, I never thought about it. Newbies! :smile:

But, it makes sense to me now. Get a good transport, then DAC. Both components can be upgraded, or swapped independently, to get the improvement or synergy you desire.

In other words, a rabbit hole!

For my nearfield setup, I got this baby, currently connected to my Marantz AMP-1 via digital coax.

Dipping my toes in, I am intrigued! Playing with it right now. Another journey!

4wtqqhdhqqy5.jpg
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• verb
    So tonight, Friday night I usually work my way to the basement, and fire up the big rig. But tonight, this CD transport and DAC combo has me a little mesmorized! Normally, I run the iTunes lossless format through the AMP-1, but the Cambridge through the same DAC, IMO, after some quick A/B comparisons, almost renders the PC to DAC, well, unlistenable.

In fact, I went down to the basement to get some of my favorite CD's!

Yeah I know alot has to do with the source format. Apple lossless, beginners, jeez! Can you say digital rabbit hole? :smile:

But, for now, enjoying this little piece of gear! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The problem is using a PC as a source. I rip CDs using Apple Lossless, and it sounds great on the Lumin.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Ah, I see you got one of those Al Stewart collections I was talking about. And right below Alan Parsons. How appropriate. :)
  • verb
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The problem is using a PC as a source. I rip CDs using Apple Lossless, and it sounds great on the Lumin.

Lumin? Please elaborate!
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Ah, I see you got one of those Al Stewart collections I was talking about. And right below Alan Parsons. How appropriate. :)

Yeah good stuff. In fact you inspired me to get the Al Stewart collection! For that, thank you sir! :smile:
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    verb wrote: »

Lumin? Please elaborate!

Lumin is a manufacturer of music file players. The S1 was the TOTL, but now is a little below the X1.

http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-s1.html
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb

Lumin? Please elaborate!

Lumin is a manufacturer of music file players. The S1 was the TOTL, but now is a little below the X1.

http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-s1.html

Thank you sir! I'll check em out! :smile:
  • verb
    DSkip wrote: »
    Agree with Bud. A PC has no place in playback. I'm about to put in my initial order with Lumin. They are one of only a very few companies that hit my checklist.

Thanks Skip. Another paradigm shattered! Of many since I've joined this forum! :smile:
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Another lunin fan here. I am running the D1 that just got replaced with the D2.
    Many tines a spinner is going to outperform a pc. I tried to get my pc to sound as good as a cd player playing through the same dac and the cd always won. When i went with a auduo streamer, the difference was huge.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    The streamer vs. transport comparison is an interesting juxtaposition for me. On one hand a streamer with a nice interface, (remote control or tablet) combined with high quality WAV/FLAC rips stored somewhere is arguably the ultimate in convenience. Even more so when combined with a lossless streaming service such as Tidal. A lot of people would refer to this as "CD quality" level playback, and might be hard pressed to identify a streamer playing a WAV file versus the same song being played from a CD.

On the other hand you have the dedicated disc transport and external DAC. I don't think anyone could make the argument that swapping CDs is in any way more convenient. However, I think there's something to be said for the audio quality obtained when using this method. It's irrational, but in my head it feels "better". Something about the fact that the data is being read off the disc "in that moment" and literally being transported out to the DAC.

There's also the tangible aspect of "playing a disc" that is obviously lost with streamers. While the action of playing a CD is quite a bit less special than playing a vinyl record, there is still some ritual and routine to it. Something about handling that physical media and looking at the CD case and inserts/booklets. And, as Jesse will attest to, the feeling of satisfaction and pride of ownership that come with purchasing music on physical media. You own that music, even if all the streaming services shut down and your hard drives and streamer go belly up for some reason.

Anyway, it's a fun discussion topic I think. I personally tend to gravitate toward the transport and DAC approach, just because when I do the majority of my critical listening, I'd like to listen to an album from start to finish if possible and make an event out of it. Not to say the same approach can't be done with streamers, but I think when you have nearly every song at your fingertips, your attention span can wander. I think that must be why I like putting on a CD or record and fully committing my attention to that listening experience.
  • verb
    erniejade wrote: »
    Another lunin fan here. I am running the D1 that just got replaced with the D2.
    Many tines a spinner is going to outperform a pc. I tried to get my pc to sound as good as a cd player playing through the same dac and the cd always won. When i went with a auduo streamer, the difference was huge.

He EAD is destined for the basement rig. Perhaps replacing the Marantz CD player. I’ve got an essence DAC right now, but we’ll see!
  • verb
    So after a few days with this transport, I'm getting intermittent "skipping" and other issues on the CD's that previously played fine before. Same CD's play fine on my other players. CD's are clean, no issues there.

Since this is a "factory refurbished" unit that I bought from the Cambridge Store on eBay, I only have a 30-day return guarantee.

Any ideas?

Funny as I'm typing this, track 9 of Al Stewart's "Zero She Flies" is starting to freak out! Skipping, scratchy sounds, short gaps of silence, etc.

Disappointed to say the least. I was really liking the way this transport sounds!
  • verb
    edited November 2018
    Another observation, when a track goes through the cycle of scratchy sounds & short gaps of silence, the timer on the display stops, until the music starts to play again.

And, this issue appears to exhibit itself after a couple of hours of continued use.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Sounds like a bad laser.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • verb
    So after I popped out the Al Stewart CD, I put Howard Jones back in that I played about an hour ago. Voila! Same issue now.
  • Clipdat
    Time to return it. Sorry bud.
  • verb
    Yep. No worries.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Fudge it to dern
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    My Sony does that. It's very picky about discs. I'm gonna try cleaning the laser to see if that'll help, might work for you too. :)
  • verb
    edited November 2018
    So I decided to go a slightly different route on the CD Transport. Just pulled the trigger on the Marantz CD-1. This will be a nice match to my AMP-1. Can't wait! :smile:

My time with the Cambridge was, well, met with mixed results. It did enlighten me about the whole PC-DAC setup, which is another journey. But for now, the Transport-DAC setup is the way to go!

k0gp0mrwujv0.png

BTW, as I was posting this, the Cambridge starting acting up again! Sending it back for a full refund.
  • Viking64
    ^^^^ Your song is playing. How nice.

xi5ba894yz7p.jpg
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    ^^^^ Your song is playing. How nice.

xi5ba894yz7p.jpg

A Howard Jones lovin Pug! Cool! :smile:
  • joecoulson
    That Marantz is beautiful
    Congrats bro!
  • Viking64
    edited November 2018

A Howard Jones lovin Pug! Cool! :smile:
    I just called Mister Pugjangles on the Pug Phone and he thinks Howard Jones may have had ONE song he heard twice in the 80s, but he isn't sure. :*:D
  • Clipdat
    So I decided to go a slightly different route on the CD Transport. Just pulled the trigger on the Marantz CD-1. This will be a nice match to my AMP-1. Can't wait! :smile:

Interesting replacement choice as it has it's own DAC.
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »

Interesting replacement choice as it has it's own DAC.

Yep. My intention is to use it as a transport, but be flexible enough to move it to another system.
  • Clipdat
    I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it's internal DAC performance vs the one inside the AMP-1 as they are from different chipset manufacturers.
  • verb
    Well I can say that Cambridge has a very good return policy. Free return shipping. And full refund within a few hours of receipt of the unit.

Not a terrible experience with Cambridge, but time to move on.
  • verb
    And move on I did! My new Marantz CD-1, currently used as a transport only via digital coax, with her maiden voyage playing Styx - Edge of the Century SHM-CD!
    3vifpcfxrfug.jpg
  • joecoulson
    First impressions?