Arcam CDS50

Options
Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,602
I was just browsing SACD players on Music Direct and came across this Arcam CDS50 SACD/network combo player that retails for $1,200. Check it out:

401356-V2.jpg?quality=80&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=&width=

401356-2.jpg?quality=80&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=&width=

https://www.musicdirect.com/disc-player/Arcam-CDS50-CDSACD-Network-Player

It uses a ESS Sabre DAC and has a digital input so you can use it to decode another source. It looks like Arcam beat Technics to the punch on the combo SACD/network streamer.

One thing that's concerning is that a few of the reviews mention issues with gapless playback:

"Be warned...!

The Arcam Music Life app does NOT do gapless playback! Pathetic for a HiFi company....."

"Two stars; build quality and detailed sound. Unfortunately, it has a major flaw and it’s a very obvious fundamental one! It misses the first few notes of anything you decide to listen to. On every track! Why would anyone want to lose the impact of the start of a song? I could understand this whilst skipping tracks, but not when lying back to listen to an album in its entirety. Apparently Arcam are aware of this flaw and are addressing it by means of a software update. Lets hope it works because it otherwise is a solid machine and creates beautiful sound. Very detailed even over networks. I consider it presently a quality let down!"

Hopefully it's a simple software fix.

Anyone have any thoughts about this player or Arcam gear in general?

Comments