"Unlocked" Phone?

Hello all, just pricking brains as it applies to unlocked phones.

First off, I still have a flip phone with no camera. It has served me well for years! However, I'm thinking of finally getting a smart phone. When talking to my son overseas this weekend he bought an international unlocked smart phone (new Samsung 9 I think). He only purchases a simm card for the specific country he would happen to be in, and only what he wants, and loves it (and the card doesn't expire like here in the U.S.). He can't understand why, in the U.S., this hasn't caught on. I'm not thrilled at the idea of getting into a contract and such and this seems like a good idea (my wife and I have had Trafone's for years).

Obviously here in the U.S. you would have to purchase a simm card from a specific provider. But, after it's done if I didn't like it I could get a different one from another provider. Since I do travel within the U.S. I do know, from family members, that what works in one part of the country doesn't work in another part and so-on. It would be nice to travel across country and purchase a simm card for what works wherever we would go. I do not like the idea of being "trapped" in a contract paying boat loads of money just to keep the dumb thing, especially if it doesn't work on vacation or visiting family.

Does anyone here use an unlocked phone? How exactly does it work and do you like it?
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me

Comments

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited October 2018
    Not all providers use SIM cards. AT&T does, but pretty sprint does not... and that may have changed. You can easily purchase an unlocked phone off ebay, I've done a few with no problems. You're going to make sure you get a phone that supports GSM as that is what the rest of the world uses. Generally, you don't 'purchase' a SIM card, you purchase the service and the SIM card ties your phone into that service. There are extra costs associated with using a phone overseas but there are ways around it. If you have wifi available imessage and facetime on an iPhone will work over that service and not even require a SIM card. I think the world is about to open up for you.... get ready. General rule is if you stick with one of top cell providers their networks cover about everywhere. I started with T-Mobile but switched to AT&T when realized T-Mobile does not cover all the back roads in the Arkansas Ozarks.

An locked phone simple means it's not tied into only 1 provider and you can take to Sprint, T-Mobile or ATT or some of the smaller companies, Cricket, Consumer Cellular. My experience is you generally get what you pay for.

Think about the features/services/applications you really want the phone for and then look to see who best meets those.

This is just from memory and I'm sure someone more experienced can provide more details/corrections as needed.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    You can go to any mobile shop and buy a sim card and sign up month to month an. It's actually cheaper because you're not subsidizing the phone. Many companies have a 15 day trial. Well at least here in Canada, you can cancel your plan and return the sim for a full refund. Move on to the next company if the first one didn't suit your needs.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I use a tracfone as well and i also use a Samsung smartphone. You can still use the phone with tracfone just buy a sim card from them.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Yes and you can usually buy a region and carrier unlocked phone from the maker themselves.

For instance the S9
    https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s9-64gb--unlocked--sm-g960uzbaxaa/

I would look at providers before phones, some providers have specific software that is needed on your phone before it will accept like Verizon, Tmobile etc etc. See what the requirements of the service is for the provider of your choice, buy unlocked phone and run with it.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Thanks for the insight! I'm still mulling it over and know there is much information to read. But..., my daughter (she's fine BTW) just hit a deer tonite with the wife's car, so..., phones will have to wait a little while. I'll tell you one thing, Volkswagen's are little tanks!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me