1967 Allied Knight KG-870 Amplifier

I know I know.
Forget the vintage stuff and get with the times. :(

Just got this delivered. Not much of a vintage looker but I thought it might go with the
Knight speakers I got a while back.

Thanks to Mr. Hardy for his knowledge/opinion and the links he sent me.

This unit actually had 3 reviews on it's advertisement page from 1967 being Opera News, Electronics World and Radio-TV Experimenter. Funny how they worded them...

It came with the $12.95 W. Oiled Walnut Case upgrade. Amp cranks out 35 wpc. :D

Haven't cleaned a thing or plugged it in yet.

BTW, I got this from a Goodwill auction and I must say I was shocked at how well it was packed.

A few pics.

x2ire8kuipe0.jpg
0l4zx91k01a1.jpg
m1c1u0mu4z6e.jpg
l17lhug2iwz4.jpg
eekkpq5b3cxl.jpg
3w75hlrya2gg.jpg
nxx0kbl95n77.jpg
gjt35sdj0zpq.jpg

Comments

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Nice find. Nothing wrong with vintage gear. Hope it works well for you.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    edited October 2018
    Cute use of the chassis as a heat sink for the outputs :)

Note the transformers, used for interstage coupling (not output transformers) and the light bulbs, which are probably either used for regulation or current limiting (the latter being -- not uncommon -- in speaker crossover networks, at least for a time).

:)

Also note that at least one of those "Cosmic" Electrolytics has - ahem - defecated the bed.

:(

EDIT: Oh, I forgot -- nice photographs! Photo-documentation like this of a seldom seen component like this amp is wonderful to have! Thanks for sharing the photos with us!

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    I know it is tempting but I WOULD NOT plug it in until you replaced all of those old caps. Caps are easily replaced but if you fry one of the original transistors you will have a real problem. At the very least power up slowly with a variac to try and reform the caps. Or at the very very least look up how to make a current limiter with a light bulb wired in series.

On the plus side they knew how to build them back then so its easy to replace parts. Looks like it even has a hinge to raise the circuit board and have access to the back so recapping should be relatively easy.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,526
    Cool piece! Nothing wrong with some vintage love!

I’m hoping to get my console up and running soon myself!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • oldrocker, that is one beautiful girl. Thanks for sharing. Don't forget to post pics once you have put some makeup on her.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Doc,

Saw the bad cap, probably more sickie poo's in there. I wondered about the bulbs. First time I've had one with those in it.

decal,

Not powering it up until tech looks at it. I was tempted.

Ender,

Went to Bobbies last weekend with my daughter, I didn't buy anything but she bought a tee shirt and loved the place. Was a little confusing getting in the parking lot but over all the place looks good.

Bobbie is so swamped. Put my name on his waiting list which he estimated at 7 +/- months.... :s

Overall, I was on the fence about the whole project but with Doc's input and Bobbie's skill set, things should be fine once completed. I still need to find a workable Knight tuner for it.

The speakers have been gutted, are at a woodworkers shop having some work done.

Some issue's I'm having is choosing a stain color for the cabs, batting, using modern day spikes or wood legs like they originally came with. Oh, and then there is the mid drivers addition I spoke to Doc about....Some days I hate this hobby.

Oh hell, who am I kidding, at least I have about 7 months to decide.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,526
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Doc,
    Ender,

Went to Bobbies last weekend with my daughter, I didn't buy anything but she bought a tee shirt and loved the place. Was a little confusing getting in the parking lot but over all the place looks good.

Bobbie is so swamped. Put my name on his waiting list which he estimated at 7 +/- months.... :s

Overall, I was on the fence about the whole project but with Doc's input and Bobbie's skill set, things should be fine once completed. I still need to find a workable Knight tuner for it.

The speakers have been gutted, are at a woodworkers shop having some work done.

Some issue's I'm having is choosing a stain color for the cabs, batting, using modern day spikes or wood legs like they originally came with. Oh, and then there is the mid drivers addition I spoke to Doc about....Some days I hate this hobby.

Oh hell, who am I kidding, at least I have about 7 months to decide.

Yeah, I'm on the list after you for having my tube console gone through...... I'm debating if I try my luck and see if someone else can go through it for me before then just so its running.

I still plan on having Bobby "mod" it to cut the existing phono inputs and put some external jacks on the back (so I can hook up any turntable I want), and also add a line level input for something like a chromecast audio device, BUT I'd like to get it up and running so I can at least listen to the radio ASAP.

I also need new tubes and I am hoping I can look and see which ones I need as another local Polkie fell into a treasure chest of tubes and he might have some that would work for me.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    Looked up some of the transistors online (who knew there were obsolete transistor databases online!?) :)

2N2613 germanium PNP
    2N1378 germanium PNP
    2N2270 silicon NPN
    2N553 germanium PNP (power transistor 35 W dissipation)
    2N1541germanium PNP (power transistor, 106 W dissipation)
  • oldrocker
    Germanium... that's not good...

Thanks for looking Doc.
  • mhardy6647
    nope, but it's germane ;)
  • mhardy6647
    by the way, the fact that they're germanium doesn't mean that they're bad or that they'll, by necessity, sound bad. In fact, there are folks who love the sound of really early ss equipment, and they claim it's the magic of germanium transistors :p

What it does mean, though, is that the transistors are fragile and that, if they need to be replaced, it can be very difficult to source replacements.

All of which is to say, proceed with caution.

PS That's what I like about much of the vintage vacuum tube stuff. Repair parts are, by and large, easy to get. Not necessarily cheap, but available. The 2A3 power triode, as I like to point out, has been in (AFAIK) continuous production somewhere in the world since the 1930s.

• oldrocker
    Gotcha, time to move directions.

I'm thinking the new Hello Kitty boom box for starters... :s